any car advice?

Minxminnie

I'm looking into buying a new car, and I thought it might be a good subject for a thread - advice in general, that is, not just for me, but I'll start.

I currently have a 6 yr old Yaris. It's fine, reliable, pleasant to drive, and I'm not much of a petrolhead.

I'm in the happy position of being able to go slightly upmarket, but I have a frugal streak that says I shouldn't. So, I'm torn. I want something small, reliable, and ideally a bit cool / desireable.

I'm leaning towards a newer and swankier version of what I've got - there are good deals around just now - or a Mini. Head says Yaris, heart says Mini.

What should I go for?? Any alternative ideas?? Anyone been there, done that recently??

Cool is a Fiat Panda (but not a Fiat 500).

That's so funny. My first car was a Fiat Uno, and my friend had a Fiat Panda. Back then - early 90s - a Panda was about the most uncool thing on the road, except in that nerd-chic way, like wearing National Health specs held together by tape. Strange how things can change!

Ditto - I'm a car salesman's nightmare - if it goes from a to b without a surprise stop at g I'm happy. I would have a look at the NCap (?Encap?) rating for whatever you choose though to see how well you'd survive a bump in it. I seem to remember the difference between a 2 and 4 star car was coming out of a head on crash with your knees still pointing the right way.

Edit: found the link:

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Start/$c7dad01d-a23c-4ae6-bc4c-2676e24a78c2/home.aspx

I am a petrolhead so probably not best placed to offer advice here :D. Either car should be reliable, Japanese cars tend to go on for interstellar mileages without major failures, especially the ones built in the UK, German cars are pretty comprable in that regard though.

My brother's wife had a Mini until recently and she was very happy with it, they only sold it to pay for the wedding. Being a BMW it will likely be a bit more expenisve to run than a Toyota, especially if you have it main dealer serviced. My employer's wife has a Yaris (02 or 52 I think) and it has given them no problems.

I'd say go with your heart and don't consider what other people will think (good or bad). If you're spending a lot of money then it's better to buy what you want and will be happy with than what you think you should have for whatever reason. I realised that around the occasion of my 35th birthday and gave up compromising, which is why I now drive a "small" car with only two seats rather than a big four seater.

I will ask one question - why replace what you have at all?

I'd concur with Mark on the Japanese/German thing. MOH's friend has the rule - never buy a car from a country that won the 2nd world war. I've broken this rule twice & although I like the cars (a Clio and a Fiesta), they have proved very costly in repairs. MOH has a J reg VW Polo that has just hit 200,000 miles. It's never failed an MOT, has had very little on it replaced, and he treats it like s**t! I guess there's something in that rule...

They're nice.

Expensive parts though should anything go wrong.

Having spent nearly a grand on my Focus this year (bought just over a year ago when it was 18 months old to avoid spending too much for a couple of years), I've also been very surprised at how much Ford parts can be - and they make a lot of them 3 miles away from where I live!

I reckon if you are happy with your Yarris, stay with it a bit longer - there are bound to be many more good deals over the next couple of years as the "credit crunch" hits even harder.

• 2 weeks later...