need a book!

reader

i need a world history and civilization encyclopedia or book set (this includes societies, belief systems, civilizations, politics etc right from the start all the way to contemporary society). Please recommend me a website where i can purchase it.

;) thank you manyyyyy!

i need a world history and civilization encyclopedia or book set (this includes societies, belief systems, civilizations, politics etc right from the start all the way to contemporary society). Please recommend me a website where i can purchase it.

;) thank you manyyyyy!

Did you really mean a book - one book? Or a library? The best I can offer is a massive tome that I used for American students decades ago. I taught one section of a course in World Literature (that's not specifically philosophy, history, civilization etc, but you can't avoid being interdisciplinary, can you?).

Anyway, the it's called The Humanist Tradition in World Literature published by Merrill, and begins with Gilgamesh, takes you through the Bible, Homer, Heroditus, Philoctetes,Thucidides, Aristophanes, Plato, Cicero, Ovid,Virgil, St Augustine, all the way to Dante. All in one volume too! It should do for a start.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jeremy DEagle
      Can anyone suggest a good history of WW2? I feel ashamed that I know so little about what was the major event in the world for the past 100 years or so.

PLus I'm interested in history anyway.

I also want to understand more about what my granddad went through and understand more why every single person who fought was a hero.
    • By Jeremy DEagle
      Anyone interested in Jack the Ripper on here? If so what books have you read? Who do you see as the most viable suspect?
    • By r3nu4l
      Hello,

I've always had an interest in Victorian London, probably brought about by Charles Dickens. I'd like to get a highly recommended book on the History of Victorian London, society, architecture, human stories etc.

I'm not looking for some new revisionist history or something light and fluffy but rather something substantial, detailed and generally accepted by Historians as being as close to 'accurate' as possible.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    • By Calliope
      After years of marches and protests and a change of government, Australia has (finally) apologised to its aboriginal citizens for the horror of the Stolen Generations. If you've seen Rabbit Proof Fence, you get the idea of what the expression means. Basically, aided by a series of laws that pretended to be for the benefit of the children concerned, over almost a century aboriginal children were systemically removed from their parents. There is no doubting that it was a deliberate act of cultural genecide. It was hoped that the 'blackness' would be bred out of them.

If anyone should want to read more, the Bringing them Home report is available online. The section about the children's experiences, spelling out how total their separation was to be, is particularly heart-rending.

PM Kevin Rudd might have looked embarrassingly smarmy but it's about time this was acknowledged. Of course, there are other areas of debate that continue, such as should reparations be made? And, should the British government apologise too?
    • By Jeremy DEagle
      My friend at work is after a book on 9 11. He is interested in the timeline of events what happened that day.

He is interested in conspiracy theories etc surrounding it.

Can anyone recommend one?