The Olympics

Adrian

It now transpires that part of the fireworks extravaganza seen world-wide on television was digitally reconstructed, just in case the real thing didn't look quite good enough.

As for the little girl who "sang" the patriotic song: she, it was decided at the last minute, definitely did not look cute enough (she had crooked teeth), so a cuter-looking little girl mimed to the less cute little girl's recording of the song. That way the authorities managed to have the perfect combination of the cutest face and the best voice.

All very sinister IMHO...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been even slightly bothered by the Olympics before now. To me they are just yet another reason to disrupt perfectly good day time television schedules and for people to pretend they are patriotic. However, this year I seem to have caught the bug and cannot stop watching it! The track events I can't be bothered with, a bunch of people running round in circles just isn't my idea of fun. Now, if they fell over it would be much more exciting (like in the steeplechase on Saturday, now that was funny)! The swimming, rowing and gymnastics are quite good though, I have been caught a few times on the edge of my seat shouting loudly at the TV screen.

It has just been decided by my sister and I that the new version of the olympics should involve the wii. We are currently playing the Olympics game game on it and it is much more fun on the track events than the real thing.

And now time for me to be one of those annoying people I mentioned and be patriotic - 17 medals in two days.... woopwoop team GB!!

OK I'm done... :)

I have never been even slightly bothered by the Olympics before now. To me they are just yet another reason to disrupt perfectly good day time television schedules and for people to pretend they are patriotic. However, this year I seem to have caught the bug and cannot stop watching it!

I know exactly what you mean - I'm not a "sports" person at all, and have never bothered with the olympics before. But this year, I've had this uncanny knack of turning on the TV just as team GB has done something good, and I've seen us win most of our medals over the last couple of days. I feel curiously proud...

I am deeply confused by this....

That would be because you (and MarkC) probably haven't discovered the delights of Phil and Fern on This Morning, property hunting shows and other wonderful soyurces of amusement usually known only to those of us who still lucky enough to have 6 week summer holidays. ;)

And so I'm not going too far off topic... I'm loving the Olympics too! I usually hate watching any kind of sports unless it's Wimbledon or F1 racing but I seem to have been sucked in along with the rest of you. Worse than that though I'm actually being dragged into the world of football fans for the first time in at least 10 (maybe 15?!) years. I was happier not knowing the difference between cup and league matches but three matches into the season it may be too late now...

I have been unable to remain totally Olympic-free, as it is impossible to have the radio or TV on for more than half-an-hour without somebody going on about it.

Mr meg has been off work for the past fortnight with a bad back, so I have had to avoid the sitting room (TV), and the breakfast room (radio), as both have been commandeered for following Olympic events.

I have retired to the bedroom*, where I am spending time on BGO, Facebook, Ravelry & Ship-of-Fools, or surfing the net for old folk songs/singers.

I suppose I ought to read something :o

*and he still shouts upstairs to tell me about the 'exciting' bits :mad:

I would like to say thank you to both Hazel and Opal who agree that day time TV can indeed be very good!

I couldn't agree more with Opal about Phil and Fern. I can't believe my student days are now over and I will no longer get to experience their pure brilliance in the mornings!

As for Home and Away, sadly where I live channel 5 rarely works so I only get to see it every couple of months! Every time I turn it on, someone is being shot at though or Alf is on some manic rescue mission... I will never forget the moment years ago now where someone's house blew down in a storm. The on-going joke in our family about this makes me cry with laughter everytime! Just imagine "how can you lose a house?!" in a bad dad style Oz accent. Maybe its a have-to-be-there moment... :rolleyes:

As for Home and Away, sadly where I live channel 5 rarely works so I only get to see it every couple of months! Every time I turn it on, someone is being shot at though or Alf is on some manic rescue mission

Paula, I am so sorry, I would literally curl up in a ball and turn to dust if I didn't have Home & Away to watch every day. I can't live if I don't see Alf in his orange jumpsuit at least once every month.

• 1 year later...
Oh my word- has anyone seen the mascot for the London games? First the logo and now these things!

http://www.ourlondon2012.com/mascots/pictures/

Why do they only have one eye?

Apparently the idea is -

"The pair are based on a short story by children's author Michael Morpurgo that tells how they were fashioned from droplets of the steel used to build the Olympic stadium. They will be crucial in raising funds and spreading messages about the games."

:yikes: Oh dear god!!

Chuntzy Wrote:

They will be crucial in raising funds and spreading messages about the games."
The point is what kind of message are they sending? because what springs to my mind isn't exactly complimentary!!

Should raise loads of money though..I'd pay to see them go away!! ;)

and just touching on another previous point...

Paula Wrote:

I would like to say thank you to both Hazel and Opal who agree that day time TV can indeed be very good!
Now I am not suggesting this falls in the VERY GOOD category of daytime telly but does anyone else have an almost masochistic interest in Jeremy Kyle? for pure OMG this can't be for real, jaw dropping entertainment value it can't be beaten!! (or is it just me?!) :D

Why do they only have one eye?

It's supposed to be a camera.

I expect we'll get used to them - we usually do. At least the mascot isn't a big red bus, or an animated Big Ben :rolleyes:

Can't say I'm interested in these London Olympics

:scram:

- although Mr meg would quite like to get involved in the rescue teams for the sailing events.

I wasn't surprised when I saw the metal blobs, but yet again it's a poor choice.

It seems the organisers have become lost in concepts rather than understanding heart and spirit. They want modernity and for these things to be multi-media friendly, but the logo lacked real coherence and simply didn't connect with people, whilst I think the same is true of the blobs.

Mascots need emotional appeal, so even the choice of metal is a disaster from the outset. The most successful mascot out of all the Olympics was Misha from Moscow, an adorable cuddly bear. What kid's going to want to snuggle up to a slab of brass? If you then make plush toys, why choose metal in the first place?

Still, the most crucial errors are firstly that they lack faces. All we have is an eye so instantly it makes it difficult to connect. We need the sense of a face to form a bond with these things. Secondly they have no instantly identifiable profile - they're just blobs and even their colouring is without any striking detail. Consequently they are instantly forgettable.

Still, metal prices are high at the moment - perhaps we could melt them down and sell them off to help a little more with the costs.

I suppose I can see from this picture how the metal effect works - but I think that would only happen in still pic or animation - it doesn't work for anything else. And the one eye will always be off-putting. The little light on the top of their heads reminds me of an available cab... am I supposed to think that?

thumbnail_8.jpg

The little light on the top of their heads reminds me of an available cab... am I supposed to think that?

Indeed you are. One of the people responsible was explaining that last night. Presumably it means that if you let these little fellas get talking they'll grace you with their views on immigration, the current state of the English football team and that fit bird off Hollyoaks...

It seems the organisers have become lost in concepts rather than understanding heart and spirit. They want modernity and for these things to be multi-media friendly, but the logo lacked real coherence and simply didn't connect with people, whilst I think the same is true of the blobs.

I agree that the mascots are not great but I love the logo. I think there are two types of person - those who see the logo as 2012 and those who see it as a person. People in the first group hate it; people in the second group (including me) like it.