Sign in to follow this  
aquablue

Think and Grow Rich

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Has anyone read this landmark bestseller? I am thinking of buying it but I want to get your input first. Thanks.

thinkandgrowrich.jpg

I have listened to many hours of his speeches and recordings - a bit old fashioned in some ways but I found much of it very interesting and insightful.

The difficult part is applying it!

He was years ahead of his time and was the forerunner for the self-improvement / personal development industry.

This is a good one. Some brilliant insights into what makes us tick.

51SRSD3HFSL._SS500_.jpg

Is that actually him on the cover? Looks like they accidentally substituted a photo from a men's grooming manual... :P

It is him, jfp, I have seen him peddle his tripe on QVC - whilst channel hopping of course! He is actually more 'Catalogue-man' than that picture shows.

Many people don't have a desire to think about their lives in the way that Robbins encourages and fair play to them, it's not compulsory, but it sure ain't tripe Hazel.

He obviously polarises people but the guy is a quite brilliant speaker and performer and has an incredible insight into what makes human beings react to the world around them... if it don't float yer boat, then it will seem like cultish nonsense I'm sure.

Robbins actually confesses to hating infomercials as much as anyone but found it was a marketing tool that worked better than anything else he had ever done so was quite happy to swallow his reservations on that one!

It is him, jfp, I have seen him peddle his tripe on QVC - whilst channel hopping of course! He is actually more 'Catalogue-man' than that picture shows.

Umm I think I'll play devil's advocate here - what is it in particular that offends you about Anthony - or Tony, or Tones as I like to call him (apart from the catalogue man pic and the intense, middle distance stare for the camera pose, for which he should obviously be taken to a Glasgow pub for a serious taking of the Michael session)?

...have seen him peddle his tripe on QVC ...
...it sure ain't tripe...

The truth doubtless lies somewhere in between (if not perhaps exactly in the middle...)

I think the big question is whether or not there are easily available recipes for "tak[ing] immediate control" of one's life. Personally I rather think there aren't, and therefore that it is deceitful to publish a book which suggests there are.

Whether "emotional", "physical" and "financial" issues can all be addressed in one book also leaves me sceptical.

But above all, to me, the photo speaks more loudly than the verbal challenge. It says "How To Be Dead Laid-Back And Cool Like Me!" And that should be taken with the heftiest pinch of salt.

Tom Cruise's character in the film Magnolia.
For the benefit of those who haven't seen the film and those, like me, who have but need their memory jogging, wikipedia tells us the character is:
Frank T.J. Mackey (Tom Cruise), author of Seduce and Destroy, a self-help system for men to get women to sleep with them.
:D

Robbins actually confesses to hating infomercials as much as anyone but found it was a marketing tool that worked better than anything else he had ever done so was quite happy to swallow his reservations on that one!

For "worked better than anything else" read 'made him pots more money'?

what is it in particular that offends you about Anthony
It isn't solely him, but all of his ilk that peddle this nonsense at inflated cost. They sell generic platitudes at exorbitant cost yet try to reasssure their audience that they are on the same level as them. It's patronising, offensive, and exploitative.

But hey, as RR says, whatever floats your boat. I prefer my 'help' grounded in my reality.

For "worked better than anything else" read 'made him pots more money'?

Ermm, yes, that is the general idea. Are you suggesting there's something wrong with that?

One generally finds that the biggest cynics are the ones who have never listened / read any of his material.

Funny old world.

One generally finds that the biggest cynics are the ones who have never listened / read any of his material.

Funny old world.

One generally finds that that the biggest fools make general, unfounded assumptions about people.

Funny old world.

Is that a general, out of context, observation or specifically relevant to the discussion about Robbins' material?

I have spoken to many many people about Anthony Robbins and, to a man / woman, those who are cynical, often to the point of being downright insulting of his fans, have never actually seen him / heard him / read him.

I would not presume to return the compliment by exchanging insults with these people, merely voice my own polite observations of my own experiences.

I have said before that it is not for everyone and I totally respect that but I believe he is an extremely worthwhile individual who has helped millions of people across the globe.

His sales pitch is indeed a little bit strong for my stomach at times but the fact that he has made a fortune out of his material is only a result of the forces of supply and demand. Money-back guarantees exist on most (if not all) of his live and recorded material so claims of exploitation are more than a little harsh.