After so many years, music is calling me back.

aquablue

After so many years, music is calling me back.

In the early to mid 1990’s, I was involved in a serious, professional rock band – Bad Habit – that was about to make its initial introduction to the world. David Geffen, yes, the David Geffen himself, heard our studio recordings and said that the music was good but the vocals needed help. So we told our singer to take vocal lesson by the vocal coach of Gloria Estefon herself! He refused and thus our band fell apart at our feet.

Today, I have not even picked up the electric bass guitar since the band dismantled. About three years ago our guitarist, a true badass guitar man, died of cancer. Yesterday was the guitarist's birthday; so we all met at his burial place - the drummer, me and some old friends from the band (groupies) – and we talked about the good old days when I made a suggestion to the drummer that maybe, just maybe, may happen. I said that maybe him and I could hook-up and play some music again. It just came up, on the spot, the idea and together we filled in the gaps. He gives me a thumb up on going forward with it and I agreed.

So now it looks like music is calling me back…pretty cool right?

mikechucklogo2.gif

This logo, represents our names Mike (drummer) and me Chuck (alies). :cool:

_

Be sure to let us know when you have something available on-line for us to hear e.b. a website or MySapce.

We have some unused tunes from the old days that can be brought up-to-date. We can do our own interpretations of classic songs. We can do much early. But it'll take some time to get the rust out.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Claire
      Does anyone have any suggestions for accessible, introductory books about Film Studies? If I can wangle it, I may be able to sneak onto a course in it for next year, and I'd like to have a bit of a look at the subject first, to see what I would be letting myself in for. I'm looking for something vaguely on the academic side of things, rather than more general, I guess.

If anyone has any titles they could recommend specifically on Theology and Film, that would wonderful, but just general stuff on Film Studies would be just as handy.

(If anyone has any more general books on film to recommend, can I draw your attention to Books on Film, which it would be great to see a few more ideas on, too....
    • By Flingo
      I realised recently that many of the recipe books we have mentioned in this forum have been tied in to "Celebrity" chefs made famous by almost reality TV series - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson to name but a few. This point was exacerbated at lunchtime today when a colleague was reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Sid Owen's "Life on a Plate: The Journey of an Unlikely Chef" which prompted a discussion about food books-cum-travelogues (a la Rick Stein).

I can understand the interest in Gordon Ramsey et al, who have cookery as their background prior to TV, but it seems that all and sundry are joining the Baking Bandwagon. What has Eastender's Rick-aaaaay really got to do with cookery, other than it's currently fashionable and his celebrity status is waning?

Many of my fellow BGO-ers enjoy cooking, and I wonder what entices you to pick up cookery books, and whether a celebrity endorsement would be one of the attractions?
    • By Pannx
      My other and I really fancy having a go at making sushi. Are we foolish? Does anyone have any recommendation of any good books that might help us with this foolish foray into a messy kitchen?
    • By Mouse
      Having turned a back garden into an allotment with a vegetable patch, raspberries, currants, cherry and plum tree, I am very keen on seasonal cooking - knowing what to do with all that produce when it comes at you in bulk.
      I've bought several cookery books that take you through the months - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's The River Cottage Year has the least amount of recipes per month and not all of them appealing! More successful is Sophie Grigson's Country Kitchen - I make her recipe for Elderflower cordial every year now.
      The best is the latest - Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook, which is attractive, well laid out and has lots of recipes.. I'm usually stuck for something to do with redcurrants, but there are some good ideas inside.
      I also have her companion book - Sarah Raven's vegetable plot, which is also useful for telling you when to sow and harvest varieties of vegetable not usually in the shops.
    • By Claire
      I've been enthusiastically baking bread by hand for the last few months. As family circumstances have changed I hardly ever cook our main evening meal any more. That's a huge relief in a lot of ways, but a part of me really misses it, and I think baking bread for the family is my way of compensating....

Anyway - anyone else bake bread and like to recommend any recipe books. Either by hand or by bread machine or both is fine.

I bought one second hand in an Oxfam Bookshop today, and it's just great. The author has spent years tracking down recipes from around the world, and getting tips and techniques from anyone who knows anything about the subject, so each recipe starts off with anecdotes as to where it came from, and the people he met and the places he travelled through. It's lovely to read. It's a real doorstop of a book at 750 pages, called, "Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads - revised and expanded". It sounds like the first version turned into a classic of it's time, so he decided to go back, 15 years later, to do a new, impoved version. It dates from 1973 and then 1987.

The best bit is his account of a cruise he took with his wife, only to spend the entire time aboard ship in the kitchen learning from the team of bakers who hand baked all the bread for the voyage. There's also a chapter just called, "Thrill of Discovery", with all the recipes he's most pleased to have tracked down in it - his enthusiasm just overflows from every page.

I'm interested to see how the recipes turn out, as it's American and all measured in cups, so I can't quite make sense of them straight from the page.

Anyone else bake bread? What recipes do you use? Any good books? Or rubbish ones to avoid?