Many people reading John le Carré for the first time are sometimes confused by his terminology. I'm not sure if this jargon is his own creation, or if it is in fact the language of espionage. Here is an attempt to define/explain some of the terms used (this is a work in process):

Backbearings - A method of gathering information using indirect evidence or information to determine a fact. By determining what someone doesn't know and is asking questions about, the agent can then determine what that person does know.

Bearleader - The people charged with organizing and running an operation.

Angels - Local, non-allied security services.

Burrower - Researcher

Circus - British Intelligence (MI6)

Competition - British Security Service (MI5)

Cousins - American Intelligence

The Fall - Used regarding the time line of the Circus and refers to the unmasking of the mole 'Gerald' (the fall happens in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy). It is such an important frame of reference that people refer to events as before the fall and after the fall.

Ferrets - The people who check for listening devices.

Handwriting - An agent's habits, technique, modus operandi

Housekeeper/Housekeeping - Human Resources department, responsible for maintaining cover identities and agents (joes)

Janitors - Building security personnel

Joe - The term for an agent out in the field who is being operated by British/American intelligence agencies. The joe is not always a citizen/worker of the opposition.

Lamplighters - The people who carry out surveillance, clear drop boxes, intercept mail, etc. Based in Acton.

Leash-dogs - People who are trained to follow pedestrians.

Make a pass - Make overt contact with an agent (joe).

Moscow Centre - Soviet Intelligence

Mothers - Secretaries

Nursery - A training, and possibly detention, centre. Located in Sarratt.

Pavement artists - People who are trained to secretly follow an individual on the street.

Put out smoke - When an agent makes a showy display of his or her cover identity in order to give their cover legitimacy.

Recycling - Sending defectors back to continue spying before anyone knows they are gone.

Rumpus Room - The meeting room on the fifth floor of the circus.

Scalphunters - The people who handle the dirty work (ie. kidnapping, bringing defectors across the border). Based in Brixton.

Shoemakers - Forgers

Wranglers - Radio/signals operators, code breakers

• 1 month later...

As a useful introductory thread to le Carré's writing this seemed the best place to stick a link to this evening's Front Row on Radio 4, which had a special interview with him.

Click on Monday's edition here. Only until the end of this week though!

Edit: It also answers your observation, SlowRain:

I'm not sure if this jargon is his own creation, or if it is in fact the language of espionage.

He made it up himself, although some of those terms have now been adopted by the secret services! He gave the example of pavement artists.

I finally got around to listening to it.

First off (although it's probably too late), there is a spoiler in the interview for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Secondly, I've never before seen le Carré do so much publicity for one of his novels. Perhaps he did so in the past, but I've never seen so many newspaper articles and interviews as I have for this one. He's either really angry over the current world situation or else his sales are sliding into territory that is starting to make him nervous.

The interview was quite interesting, however I think he was a little too quick to bring up the subject of his father, which always seems to get discussed in his interviews.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I do admire him a great deal as a writer. He's one of a very few who can so effectively blend plot, character, language, and themes when other writers only seem to pick two or, very rarely, three of those.

• 12 years later...

Hello,

this is an old conversation and I wonder if there will be an answer to my post. 
I try anyway. 
I read John Le Carré’s novels in French where the term “traine-patin” is often used. I have not recognised an equivalent of this term in English in the article by “Slowtrain”. 
“Traîne-patin” sounds very strange, even funny, in French. It is obviously an invention : it does not exist in the current French language. 
Any idea of the original term in English ?

thanks and a happy New Year to all.

yvon Sellier

24 minutes ago, Yvon Sellier said:

Hello,

this is an old conversation and I wonder if there will be an answer to my post. 
I try anyway. 
I read John Le Carré’s novels in French where the term “traine-patin” is often used. I have not recognised an equivalent of this term in English in the article by “Slowtrain”. 
“Traîne-patin” sounds very strange, even funny, in French. It is obviously an invention : it does not exist in the current French language. 
Any idea of the original term in English ?

thanks and a happy New Year to all.

yvon Sellier

Hello and welcome to the board. We are always happy to revisit old conversations even if we don't have the answer. You are right it's made up, here's what I found 091A5637-E58B-4974-B6B4-567112B5CA8F.thumb.jpeg.8696bf6b3accf774d776677516b8f296.jpeg

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SlowRain
      The Mission Song is John le Carré's newest novel. It is centered around Bruno Salvador - a half-British, half-Congolese interpreter of numerous obscure African languages - as he's whisked away by British Intelligence to a secret conference between the representatives of a Western-backed syndicate of politicians and celebrities, an ambitious Congolese leader preaching reform, and three Congolese warlords. The goal of this clandestine conference is none other than changing the government in the resource rich Kivu region of the Democratic Republic of Congo... for the benefit of the Congolese people, of course.

First off, le Carré has been on a slide since the end of the Cold War. He still writes better novels than all the other thriller writers out there, but he's had a hard time recapturing his glory days. The Mission Song is right up there with Our Game as the best of his post-Cold War novels, and it definitely finds a place of honor among his better works as well. Like his previous two novels, Absolute Friends (2003) and The Constant Gardener (2000), it has a more obvious political theme than some of his others, but this time he manages to make his theme blend well with the plot.

The Mission Song is one man's reawakened sense of identity and conscience; Bruno has to decide how much he's going to allow Western interests to interfere with a society that has witnessed one of the bloodiest wars since the end of World War Two. He has choices to make: loyalty to his employers or his conscience; loyalty to his manipulating country or a manipulated people; loyalty to his all-white, career minded, adulterating wife or a Congolese nurse. The book also discusses, ultimately, whose responsibility it is to get Congo - and, by extension, Africa - back on track; and I'm sure a few politicians, singers, and actors will be surprised by the discussion.

Le Carré's narrative is extremely engaging and his characters are larger than life. He never spells anything out for the reader, but offers enough hints for those who pay attention. Even though he has a political ax to grind over Britain's involvement in the Iraq War, and grind it he does, he still isn't preachy. And his dialogue is both brilliant and creative, definitely up there with David Mamet's.

I really enjoyed the novel as a thriller, as well as for the awareness and vast amount of information about Congo, it's troubles, Rwanda's involvement, coltan et cetera. Even though the events in the novel span less than a week, I wouldn't recommend it for people who love fast-paced thrillers; this is a novel for the patient reader. A rewarding novel.
    • By SlowRain
      A young, tortured Chechen man shows up in Hamburg, Germany. He claims to be a Muslim and wants to become a doctor. Enlisting the help of a young lawyer from a human rights group, he asks her to approach a British private banker whose bank has some shady money on deposit for him. And then the German, British, and American intelligence communities become aware of his presence.

Although the novel was slow to grasp my interest, le Carré does a good job building the intrigue, mystery, and tension as the story progresses. His prose is spot on and a true pleasure to read. The characters, while not stellar, are certainly adequate to carry the story.

Unfortunately, that's about all the good things I can say about this novel. It is garnering some good reviews in the press, but that's hardly surprising. With an election in the US, this novel's release was very well timed; and it isn't hard to peg the political ideology of the reviewers giving it a positive review. Those who love it and those who hate it are doing so, not so much for the novel's merits, but rather expressing their own beliefs. However, those looking for a good story with great characters may feel left in no man's land.

Of le Carré's activist novels--The Constant Gardener, Absolute Friends, The Mission Song, A Most Wanted Man--I prefer the ones dealing with Africa to the ones dealing with the war on terror. At least with the African ones he's writing about something he's interested in; the war on terror ones are mainly him venting his rage. I also question its staying power, as it seems to be a novel of the moment.

Fans will find some of the old le Carré still around, mainly in the prose. Gone is the ambiguity, which I loved, and the pace is faster. The ending, however, is pure le Carré--only more so; and I'm not so sure I like the more so part.

It's still an okay novel, but not one that needs to be read immediately--unless you're a bleeding-heart liberal; neoconservatives shouldn't even bother.
    • By tagesmann
      This is le Carré's first proper full-on spy novel. And what a cracker. The story involves and elaborate sting operation against a senior official in East Germany. The seedy nature of espionage is explored and exploited to tell a rather nasty little tale of bluff and counter-bluff. The story flows very quickly and the plot twists are, while not particularly surprising, so well executed that I was involved right to the end.

As a footnote, George Smiley doesn't actually appear in this story. He is mentioned quite a bit but always described by others'. Even when he says something at the very end, only his voice is heard. In a play he would be in the wings.
    • By My Friend Jack
      I've taken the best part of 3 months to get through this - eventually finished it this morning. It's the first of his books that I've read, so have no idea how it compares with his other works. The fact that it took so long to read is more a reflection on the fact that I don't spend too much time on the train these days, and opportunities to read on the M25 are infrequent.

It's an odd book - a very slow start, featuring a character who eventually gets pushed into the margins. The real "hero" is there from the early pages, but doesn't take centre stage for quite a time.

A sobering story, and an even more sobering Note.
    • By tagesmann
      This is le Carré's first novel and the first to feature George Smiley. Written in 1961 and presumably contemporarily set this short novel is a very clever crime novel which just happens to be about spies.

George Smiley is sent for when a civil servant from the Foreign Office kills himslef the day after Smiley had interviewed him as part of a security investigation. Anxious to avoid a scandal Smiley is sent to ensure no blame can be placed on his department. It soon becomes clear to Smiley the death was not a suicide but a murder. With the help of a Special Branch policeman and a colleague, Smiley's investigates.

The plot is not particularly taxing and there aren't really any great surprises. But as an introduction to, and background about Smiley it is interesting.

It's not long but it is good.