Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

How many books do you own?

Goodness, nowhere near as many as you!! Where do you keep them all? My excuse is that my house is very small and I haven't much space! I think I have about 600 or so, although I've never actually counted them. The good thing is that they are all on display, well sort of, some are stacked two deep on the bookshelves, but I don't have any in boxes or in the attic.

Oh dear, I might have to go home this evening and count them all now, just so I know :rolleyes:

I've never counted but I'm guessing about 600. I did have more, but I decided there was something very silly about owning one book I had read for every two I hadn't. Choosing my next read is a lot easier now I've narrowed it down.

Certainly less than 100 and almost all non-fiction. I tend to use the library for fiction books but if I do buy one, I normally give it to my mom for her charity shop after I've read it.

Have never counted, but between my home home, and my new home there is well near 1,000, my mum is on the verge of giving them all away though, she is also trying to give away my dads collection which is much bigger than mine (A fair bunch of mine have been taken from him) Its just very hard to let go!! But since I moved I've become much better at giving them to charity shops, but then space is a big problem now!!!! :D

I've never counted, but the simple answer is too many!!

My estimate is I have around 400 crammed into a one bedroom flat, which I reckon is enough to provide me with sufficient reading matter for the next 5-6 years for the speed at which I read.

I usually read a book and then give it to a charity shop or a friend/relative, sell it or swap it, so nearly every book I own is unread. It has been known for it to take over an hour for me to choose the next thing to read as a result of the vast selection.

I reckon I've got between 1500 and 2000. I used ot have a lot more, but I had a huge clear out about a year ago and donated erm, three boxes to the library and erm, four to the charity bookshop. :rolleyes: Mind you've, I've been buying a lot of books again...

Have never counted, but between my home home, and my new home there is well near 1,000, my mum is on the verge of giving them all away though, she is also trying to give away my dads collection which is much bigger than mine (A fair bunch of mine have been taken from him) Its just very hard to let go!! But since I moved I've become much better at giving them to charity shops, but then space is a big problem now!!!! :D

Also never counted... I think I have roughly 100 at uni with me (all that would fit in the car :( ) and probably four or five times that left at home, although granted a lot would be childrens books. And I know what you mean about aquiring your dads books... I'm getting good at doing that to my dad too! If I thought he was actually planning to re-read them I might feel a little but guilty... but he'll get them back eventually! :P

I've never counted but I have more than there's space for on the bookshelves so alas some boxes are in the loft. It's like motorway building, slightly futile to relieve congestion. The only reason book numbers are under control in my house is that there is no space left, if I put up more shelves I would only fill them. I have to periodically cull the least popular ones and release them to the charity shops.

How do you 'cull' books?

My shelves contain 3 types of book ;

a) Books I've read, and might like to read again some day,

B) Books I haven't read yet, but will when I have finished the 'must read' pile' and

c) Books that are too obscure or out-of-date to 'release' anywhere, but which I can't bring myself to bin or burn.

Haven't counted the books, but there are 18 sets of bookshelves, plus some boxes of children's boks in the loft!

more than I realized.

I've been registering them online at bookcrossing, and so far have about a third of them registered. (I've registered about 700+)

I'm a bookpig, and proud of it .

My boyfriend has about 10,000

lol

and about 30,000 records and CDs

which makes him a HOG.

hehehe

Not exactly counted but on a quick how many on a shelf times shelves estimate, maybe 2,000. At least a third of this is a non-fiction library, and a lot of old books which I want to keep because they are out of print, especially 19th century and reprints e.g. letters, autobiographies, diaries.

If I count just myself, I would say almost 900. If I included MrJebbie74's selections, you would have to triple that number! He's a World War II enthusiast who used to build model tanks and planes. Most of his books are what he calls "reference" for these models. I guess in comparison, my books are just fluff! LOL

:) I love the Book Pig expression!! :) I was going to entitle my post as 'Oink' but with only around 200 books I thought a 'snuffle' was all I could rightfully claim! (Just over a year ago I left UK and had to be ruthless. My friends/family/local charity shop were V happy though!)

The collection is very slowly building up through my visits to the (was Waterstones) WHS bookshop at Gatwick. I would use an online service but the postal system in Marseille is terrible and many things have gone 'missing' so I don't waste time/money on that anymore! :(

More than i have space for,but not as many as I need!! :)

LoL I thought this was great! My significant other doesn't read (sometimes he'll humour me and read something I toss in his direction but I think it's only to get me to quit bugging him ;) ) and while he usually greets my book enthusiasm with the same kind of smile you give to kids who just REALLY need to squish the paint in their fingers, every now and then I get "you don't really need that book do you? And as I get it home and have to start rearranging the stacks in order to find a home for it, the answer is always a gleeful little... yes! :rolleyes:

How do you 'cull' books?

My shelves contain 3 types of book ;

a) Books I've read, and might like to read again some day,

B) Books I haven't read yet, but will when I have finished the 'must read' pile' and

c) Books that are too obscure or out-of-date to 'release' anywhere, but which I can't bring myself to bin or burn.

I have never counted my books before, or even thought of it. I guess it is too scary. But at a wild guess, I have a fitted bookshelf in my living room alcove, so...15 shelves of 40 or so books...how much is that? 600? Crikey...

And my shelves contain (a), (b - a huge amount of), and I will have to insert (d) text books for uni, and books relating to subject matter of degree.

Every so often I go through them and cull the ones I won't read again, the ones that have sat on my shelf for a year or more unread, (if I haven't I never will), and the ones I lost interest in. They all go onto eBay...I make some money...enjoy the space on my shelves (full of possibility)...then use the money to fill up that precious but enticing space!

This has really made me think. I had over 2500 at my dads house when I counted about 10 years ago. I have at least 80 I have loaned to my nan over the last couple of years.

When I moved into my flat 3 years ago I brought 20 books with me. There must be at least 400 now, over 70 of which I have had signed at book talks!

I think I might nearly have to admit that I have too many books!!!!

I've just done something very geeky and counted my books. Clearly I've got too much time on my hands.

651 books

You know it's the '1' that does it, otherwise it wouldn't sound geeky at all!

I've culled a number of books over time, but have something in the order of 550 (551?!). What I wonder is how much people try to organise their paper menageries. Do you go for genre? Simply alphabetical by author? Or perhaps as a true book pig should, just a messy sty of word-swill?

My main bookcases in the living room (this label classifies me sociologically, the BBC now informs me) are devoted at the top to all the classic material from university. This is divided into poetry and prose, then within that chronologically, then alphabetically by author. I have an almost complete run of Penguin classics with the black spine and red slash along the top which has long looked pretty effective but was always going to be scuppered by a design overhaul at the publisher. Modern novels then run alphabetically below, but the 'trashier' ones are exiled to the other bookcase in the spare bedroom (this probably says far more about me than the 'living room'!). Shelf of biographies, then literary criticism at the bottom. An ongoing battle continues with my DVDs which have fought an insurgency campaign for a couple of years now. This was temporarily relieved by the UN intervention of a DVD cabinet, but it was not up to the task and several months later the DVD front-guard broke out again. My bookcase has therefore become a symbol of the home entertainment battleground of the 21st century.

My some 650 books are in the living room also - and part of them (my collection of Oxford World Classics) are arranged alphabetically by author and the rest are a higgeldy piggeldy mess. I try to keep books by the same author together - but thereafter it's a free for all. My uni books and books with similar subject matter are together too.

I probably in common with lots of other members am trying to work out how many books I have. A quick guess would be about 500 spread throughout my house. However as my children have now left home I have a small bedroom that could be filled with lots of bookshelves to house my ever growing collection. I find it almost impossible to part with any of my books.