Deaf Poetry

Adrian

I saw this subject on another board and found it fascinating. People who lose their hearing in later life would presumably retain their, dare I say it, ear for poetry, but do the profoundly deaf (from birth/childhood) write and experience poetry differently from people who aren't deaf? I mean, one of the most used terms is voice.

An illustration in ASL (American Sign Language) is this poem by Carl Schroeder, White Flowers Blooming

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F32n-OYM14"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F32n-OYM14" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that might perhaps "translate" as

[sPOIL](I imagine?)

Flowers blooming

White, expanding

Beautiful white blooming flowers

(and I am?) happy [/sPOIL]

In spoilers in case you want to "read" it yourself and try to write the words.

The URL is here if my fancy way of embedding a Youtube video doesn't work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F32n-OYM14

Interesting article in Poetry Magazine about the subject.

Sent this on to my deaf parents, Adrian, to see what they make of it. Closest I have seen to this was a translator at a Queen tribute gig signing along with the lyrics!

The embed didn't show at first but while I am replying it shows in your message below.

ETA - shows now. You fancy pants.