Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

The Stuff of Thought

This is Steven Pinker's newest book - it's subtitled Language as a window into human nature.

After a dull start, this was compelling stuff. The chapters on verbs and prepositions didn't light my fire, but when he got onto metaphor, the book started to come to life for me. He looks into ways that language reveals things about how we see the world.

I wouldn't be doing justice to his genius if I tried to summarise his ideas (what a cop-out!), but he's readable, funny, erudite and surprising. There's a fantastic chapter on swearing (not for those of a nervous disposition, tho ...) and a brilliant chapter on why indirectness is a valuable tool in language. I think I learned more from that chapter than from anything else I've read all year. And he adds in Calvin and Hobbes cartoons.

Very much recommended (along with his earlier book, The Language Instinct), but don't be afraid to skim read the verbs stuff if it doesn't appeal.

...he's readable, funny, erudite and surprising.

I read Steven Pinker's Language Instinct several years ago and thought it one of the best books I've ever read. What was the most surprising thing about this book MM?

What was the most surprising thing about this book MM?

Maybe I shouldn't tell you, or that would spoil the surprise! :D

It's a few weeks since I read it, and I'm trying to remember why I chose that word. One surprising thing was that he was very realistic in the claims he made for language. In particular, he points out that we communicate in many ways, language only being part of our communication system, and a very blunt instrument in many situations. The chapter on indirectness is very good on this.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you, or that would spoil the surprise! :D

... language only being part of our communication system, and a very blunt instrument in many situations.

Yes this sounds true. When it comes to language some people are needle sharp while others are as blunt as a plank :D

Sometimes music and other arts may be the only way of expressing the unexpressible.