Google Earth - Street View

nospacesallowed

Is Google already showing too much of what we keep on our property?

I wouldn't worry Meg, my house on Google Earth doesn't even show the conservatory we had built 8 years ago - I wouldn't bank on it being up to date or even accurate.

I wouldn't worry Meg, my house on Google Earth doesn't even show the conservatory we had built 8 years ago - I wouldn't bank on it being up to date or even accurate.

I've been hoping the scrap metal thieves will come after the old car/ spare engine/ boat trailers/caravan we have decaying on our drive and garden. No luck so far :(

I've been hoping the scrap metal thieves will come after the old car/ spare engine/ boat trailers/caravan we have decaying on our drive and garden. No luck so far :(
Right now, they probably can't afford the petrol to get to your house.

I've just had a go at 'walking' round Boston and it's very cool, I have to say. You can certainly see the uses in familiarising yourself with an area you don't know before visiting and of course eventually these facilities will be easily accessible in all sorts of mobile devices, so the potential is considerable. It's surely the beginning of a more or less virtual world that ultimately we'll be able to see through goggles or whatever.

To begin with the other day I was quite impressed by the new version of Google Earth which, after you zoom in far enough, starts to go 3-D, showing contours etc. However, pretty soon it suddenly became unbelievably (ultimately unusably) slo-o-ow. I hope this is just an early glitch - perhaps in part because of lots of idiots like me just playing with their new toy.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand the arguments against it as well. . . but getting directions from mapquest or google is one thing, but actually being able to see the landmarks on the computer before you venture out is pretty helpful and quite amazing.

Currently I'm living out of the US though (streetview right now is only for the US) and sometimes it's nice to be able to take a nice stroll through the neighborhood back home! :D