Rest in Peace

Sir Clement Freud, writer, broadcaster, former Liberal MP, celebrity chef, and panelist on 'Just A Minute' died last night, a week short of his 85th birthday

Sir Clement was a grandson of psychologist Sigmund Freud and brother of artist Lucian Freud.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news. I loved his presence on Just a Minute with his wonderful vocally deadpan, somnolent delivery and wicked wit.

I even remember those Minced Morsels ads, which is remarkable given that I must have been about 5 at the time and they weren't the sort of thing you'd imagine sticking in the mind of a young child, but there was something about his face and delivery. Plus I suppose he did seem well matched with the bloodhound who starred with him.

Anyway, that's the last of the classic Just a Minute players now!

Cheers, Clement, for a lot of fun and for all of you a Clement joke.

Great joke, David, and shows what we will be missing now Sir Clement has gone. As some in the media in remarked, he was one of an increasingly rare breed, a true renaissance man.

That's really sad. One of the books I most loved when I was a kid was his Grimble and Grimble at Christmas.
Me too! I looked them up on Amazon yesterday and I'm toying with the idea of getting a copy. I remember being very impressed with the idea that Grimble's Mum told him that he should drink lots of tea as it makes the inside of your tummy a nice reddish brown colour. I seem to remember Grimble opting for a mix of chocolate and orange squash instead, hoping that it would approximate to the right shade.
Me too! I looked them up on Amazon yesterday and I'm toying with the idea of getting a copy. I remember being very impressed with the idea that Grimble's Mum told him that he should drink lots of tea as it makes the inside of your tummy a nice reddish brown colour. I seem to remember Grimble opting for a mix of chocolate and orange squash instead, hoping that it would approximate to the right shade.

You're making me nostalgic for it, Jen! I loved quirky books as a kid - there didn't seem to be as many about as there are nowadays. The other book I loved as a kid was The Magic Pudding, which appealed to my inner glutton. Can't remember who wrote that, but it was similarly irreverent.

Ballard is one of my favourite authors, and his work is undervalued IMHO. We've lost one of the most distinctive voices in modern English literature, one that was not scared to hold a mirror to humanity and show truths about ourselves and our society and the way it is heading which we'd probably rather not admit to.

Farewell, Jim. Rest in peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Marilyn French, author of that life-changing feminist novel of the seventies, The Women's Room, died last weekend.

There was an interesting discussion of her, the book, and its effect on feminism on the Today programme this morning.

If you wish to catch it on iPlayer the piece was at about 08:20.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been reading the obituary of the late poet James Kirkup. He was not a poet I was familiar with, but was amazed to discover his poem, The Love that Dares to Speak its Name, first published in Gay News, is still banned by blasphemy laws.

It's a pretty yukky poem, but it seems outrageous to me that the poem should remain censored because of a law suit brought about by the prudish, bigotted Mrs Whitehouse.

• 3 weeks later...
David Carradine found dead in a Bangkok hotel room cupboard with "a rope wrapped around his neck

I'm never playing Cluedo with you!

and other parts of his body".

You really need to learn the euphemisms that the press use. They wouldn't say 'other parts' if it was his arms or his legs.