Hazel

Rest in Peace

i remember him on Big Breakfast on channel 4 where he would go from house to house.

Sue Grafton.

Author of the alphabet crime mysteries featuring Kinsey Milhone.  Started with A for Alibi and last published Y is for Yesterday.

One of my favourite authors.

Such a shame,  77 still seems a young age to go. What a pity for her fans that she didn't make it to Z!

I started picking up the occasional book from this series some years ago, but never read any of them as I was waiting for A for Alibi, so I could read them in order. By the time i got hold of it I was already reading very little, so still haven't started the series, but am hoping to recover my desire to read while I am still able to.

One of the things I particularly like about the series is that time has moved on at the right pace. So A is for Alibi was set in and published in 1982. And the last book Y is for Yesterday is set in 1989. 

On December 30, 2017 at 16:58, tagesmann said:

Sue Grafton.

Author of the alphabet crime mysteries featuring Kinsey Milhone.  Started with A for Alibi and last published Y is for Yesterday.

One of my favourite authors.

Used to read her books while waiting for my mother to complete her chemotherapy sessions. They were well plotted and pacy, with liberal doses of humor. I'm sorry to hear she has passed away

Hi Dan, my husband liked Sue Grafton's books, I have never read any of them, no particular reason, she was well liked as an author, sad that she passed away.  Just wish that the big C would be wiped out completely.  

Cyrille Regis. I'm not a football fan, but having been born practically on the doorstep of The Hawthorns i have always vaguely followed the fortunes (or otherwise) of West Bromwich Albion, and remember Cyrille Regis as a great player associated with the club. Sad to hear of his sudden death yesterday.

Also, today,

Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of The Cranberries.

Both far too young.

Peter Mayle. Lots of people liked to pour scorn on him but when A Year in Provence came out  the early 90's it was a breath of fresh air and very funny too. He never matched it but still stands up as a light, affectionate, amusing read.

This makes me sad

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Ursula K Le Guin has passed

From what I’ve heard and read she was not only a brilliant writer, but a really good person too! 

Sad to read of the death of Ursula K Le Guin. Great author and I'm now determined to read The Left Hand of Darkness this year.

Whilst typing this just heard of the death of Mark E Smith of The Fall. Another icon of my youth. Sad day.

Billy Graham, American evangelist.  Whenever I roll my eyes about Protestant evangelists, I make an exception for him.  He wasn't perfect, but he was a lot better than the rest.  His daughter is cut from the same mold, but not permitted to lead men (eye roll), so the job has fallen to his son, Franklin, who is a horse's ass.  

2 hours ago, Binker said:

Billy Graham, American evangelist.  Whenever I roll my eyes about Protestant evangelists, I make an exception for him.  He wasn't perfect, but he was a lot better than the rest.  His daughter is cut from the same mold, but not permitted to lead men (eye roll), so the job has fallen to his son, Franklin, who is a horse's ass.  

He came to the town I was working in at the time (in the 1990's) and I went to see him.  He certainly was magnetic and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  He didn't save me though!

I think Billy Graham was well respected and he certainly was a man with strong faith.  Don't know much about his family.

10 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Billy Graham didn't , couldn't, 'save' anybody. Nor did he claim to.

And that's one of the reasons I like him better than most of the famous evangelical pastors.  

patrick doyle, drummer for band veronica fall, died at age 32

I missed it at the time, Gregory rabassa died in June 2016 at age 94

To him, when asked about how good his Spanish was, he responded "poor but my English is very good"

I actually also only learned last June that carol brown Janeway had died in august 2015. She was also a translator translating novels of Daniel kehlmann. I had learned it by reading a review of kehlmann's latest.

Stephen Hawking.

Brilliant physicist, and a notable 'celebrity' for many years.

Strange that, although he has been suffering from life-limiting motor neurone disease for many years, it still felt as though he would live forever.

Anita Shreve has died at 71. I haven't read all of her books as they are not really my thing, but the few that I have read I really enjoyed. One of them, Strange Fits of Passion, is one of my favorite ever reads.

Steven Bochco has died - the creator of Hill Street Blues. This was one of the first adult TV programmes that my parents let me watch with them, not every week, but occasionally. I absolutely loved watching it; the griminess, the impenetrable jargon of American cops, the coffee, the gritty cynicism. Titus Welliver (Bosch) has said on Twitter that without Bochco we wouldn't have half the crime dramas we have now including ground-breaking crime like The Wire, and I think he's absolutely spot on.

I loved Hill Street Blues.  Just the first few notes of the theme song takes me back to all of those beloved characters and stories.  

4 hours ago, Binker said:

I loved Hill Street Blues.  Just the first few notes of the theme song takes me back to all of those beloved characters and stories.  

Absolutely, it has definitely been imprinted on my psyche!