Hazel

Rest in Peace

Mikael Nyqvist - the actor from Girl with A Dragon Tattoo, Devastated at this, I absolutely love him in this trilogy. RIP.

Glen Campbell - great musician, wonderful voice and singer of some fine songs, especially those written with/by his long-time collaborator Jimmy Webb.  I saw a documentary film recently which was made shortly after he discovered that Alzheimers was taking hold and he wanted to go out on tour one final time before he forgot the words to his own songs. Surprised to learn that he was 81, didn't think he was quite as old as that.  I remember being dragged by CP (well that's how it felt at the time!) to see him live in 1981, as her musical tastes and mine in our "courting" days differed wildly, but I grew to appreciate him as an artist as I myself "matured".

Surprised to see no mention of Bruce Forsyth yet.  Whether he was your particular cup of tea or not there's no denying that he formed a backdrop to many Saturday nights TV viewing as we were growing up, and a career that went well beyond my tender years (ahem).

I actually thought he was a master of what he did in terms of leading light entertainment shows and I imagine that he is probably the last of his particular brand of entertainer.

1 hour ago, Ragamuffin Gunner said:

I actually thought he was a master of what he did in terms of leading light entertainment shows and I imagine that he is probably the last of his particular brand of entertainer.

I am in absolute agreement with you. He got a lot of criticism when he was doing "Strictly", with claims that his delivery was stilted and wooden - but that was because it was scripted and he had to use autocue. that wasn't his style at all - he was brilliant on live shows, working  audience members & ad-libbing.

I even missed listening to The Archers on Friday to watch the tribute to him that replaced The One Show

19 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I am in absolute agreement with you. He got a lot of criticism when he was doing "Strictly", with claims that his delivery was stilted and wooden - but that was because it was scripted and he had to use autocue. that wasn't his style at all - he was brilliant on live shows, working  audience members & ad-libbing.

I even missed listening to The Archers on Friday to watch the tribute to him that replaced The One Show

Couldn't put it better Meg, an absolute master of working an audience and ad-libbing.  I know he did get criticism over "Strictly" but there were still plenty of occasions when you knew he was going "off-piste".

Tom Petty from a heart attack.

I loved the albums he made with the Heartbreakers - and the Travelling Wiburies too, I had no idea he was still performing. His last concert was at the weekend.

Oh this is a hard one to take.  Tom Petty, one of my rock heroes and a musician of great integrity, not to mention fabulous songs, gone at 66.  Daughter texted last night to say she had just heard it and I'm afraid I shed a tear or three.  

To quote the closing line from one of my all-time favourite songs (Free Fallin')...................."gonna free fall out into nuthin', gonna leave this world for a while"  His songs will never die.

I too was shocked by Tom Petty's death.  66 seems younger and younger.  He played at the halftime show at the Superbowl a few years ago and was fabulous, exceeded only by his purpleness, also gone from us.

Sounds like he had a bit of a drink problem. What a shame. He was a month older than me and very much one of my generation. Seemed like a lovely man, but he seems to have been troubled. 

Kevin cadle, former sky sports american football and basketball presenter died last Monday at 61 

Edited by iff

15 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Don't know if he's entitled to rest in peace but Charles Manson has finally died aged 83.

I hope he's running around in the hot place being chased by a creature with horns and a pitchfork.