Hazel

Rest in Peace

Tim Pigott-Smith at the age of 70.  I shall never forget him as Merrick in The Jewel in the Crown.

Don Rickles, the progenitor and absolute master of insult comedy, who was, in real life, supposedly one of the sweetest guys ever

1 hour ago, chuntzy said:

Tim Pigott-Smith at the age of 70.  I shall never forget him as Merrick in The Jewel in the Crown.

Me neither.

It only seems like yesterday, It's a bit of a shock. 

Dan Rooney died at 84

He was chairman of the pittsburgh steelers (suceeding from his father art who founded the team) and was us ambassador to Ireland from 2009 - 2012 

Michele scarponi, 37 :(

He had won the 2011 giro di Italia. He was killed when a van hit him out training. 

The Monday previously he won the opening stage of the tour of the alps and finished fourth overall 

Geoffrey Bayldon - aka The Crowman, from the Worzel Gummage TV series,  and Catweazle. Aged 93.

Memories re-kindled of another TV favourite from the time my children were small.

Really liked Roger Moore as James Bond, he was always so sophisticated and I saw him in other movies too and always enjoyed his acting.  Hadn't realized he was nearly 90, it's amazing how you think of celebrities as staying the same, never aging, or maybe that's just my thinking.

4 hours ago, momac said:

Really liked Roger Moore 

Me too, but I'm not a Bond fan. I preferred him as Ivanhoe, or better still, as The Saint.

John Noakes' time on Blue Peter fitted exactly into the period between when I grew out of children's TV and my own children started watching it,  but somehow he, and Shep, along with Valerie Singleton and Peter Purves are the ones I think of when Blue Peter is mentioned.

Yes, Luna, that was the show's golden age.

I was on Blue Peter in 1963 with our pet badger just before John Noakes' time but I expect production was very much the same. it was what you might call organised chaos, loads of rehersals under very hot lights (not a good experience with a badger, they're nocturnal and don't like bright lights but Christopher Trace insisted she was present for every one), Valerie Singleton being utterly calm as she made something out of washing up bottles (I think it was a Thunderbirds rocket) again and again and then going out live - even less fun with a now thoroughly fed up badger.

Peter Sallis, aged 96. The voice of Wallace to me, although I am sure for others it will be all about Last of the Summer Wine.

8 hours ago, Grammath said:

Peter Sallis, aged 96. The voice of Wallace to me, although I am sure for others it will be all about Last of the Summer Wine.

my parents watch last of the summer wine every evening, i meanwhile will watch any wallace & gromit when i see it is on though when i see last of the summer wine, he and auntie wainwright's characters are my two favourite.

rest in peace

Ratty in "The Wind in The Willows" and Wallace are my favourite Peter Sallis roles, and then Clegg in Last of the Summer Wine, which we didn't watch much.

Another long-time favourite gone.

22 hours ago, Hazel said:

Awww, Adam West and Glenne Heady. RIP.

I quite agree.  I think Adam West did a great job with embracing the fact that he had been typecast.  But Glenne Heady was so young (meaning "younger than I am," an ever-aging contingent).