Hazel

Rest in Peace

A really sad loss.  I too remember Rachel's cricketing career so well and followed it avidly.  As a fledgling feminist I was always thrilled with the way she championed women's cricket.

I never knew that there were female cricket teams, are they still active in the UK, haven't ever read anything about them?

I remember the name. Heyhoe stood out for me so I remember that much.

As far as I know Momac, England still has a women's cricket team

And a very good cricket team too.  But IMHO this is in no small way because of all that Rachel Heyho Flint did all those years ago.

Edited by Barblue

Mary Tyler Moore, an icon of 1960s and 1970s television.  She was Dick Van Dyke's wife, Laura, on the Dick Van Dyke show (1961-1966) and then played the lead, obviously, in the Mary Tyler Moore show (1970-1977), which was ground-breaking because she was a single woman, living alone, with a job!   Mary and her then-husband, Grant Tinker, wanted her to be divorced, but that was considered too shocking.   Together, Mary and Grant produced some of the great shows of that era in the U.S.:  The Bob Newhart Show, Rhoda, WKRP in Cincinnati, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, Newhart, America's Funniest Home Videos, and Evening Shade.   

Loved Mary Tyler Moore and was so sorry when she was no longer on telly.  I enjoyed all her shows.  Another great celebrity gone.  :(

May I mention a UK politician's passing here. Tam Dalyell, MP for Linlithow in Scotland has died aged 84.  He was my local MP when I lived in Linlithgow and a very good local MP he was too from my experience.  He was very supportive, always available, seen around the town often and extremely active and influential.  We had one period when friable asbestos was discovered in our only secondary school in Linlithgow and he supported the school and its governing body (of which I was a member) in obtaining huge funds to get the school deconstructed, the friable asbestos removed and the school rebuilt to an excellent standard, whilst having temporary buildings erected in and around the school grounds so that none of the pupils had to leave the town for their education during that time. Thanks Tam.  

I didn't want to mention it because he was a Scottish MP (and therefore not necessarily known to other BGO members

Oh, pretty well know in the rest of the UK, I think - though maybe just to my generation?.

My son-in-law mentioned on Face Book that John Hurt had died. Once again I could not believe that such a great man had gone. I cannot remember a time when so many talented people have passed away in such a short time!

Sad to hear about John Hurt.

I'm just reading Tam Dalyell's obituary. I had forgotten that he was from the family who own House of the Binns (or owned - I think it's now a National Trust for Scotland property. My friend used to work there.) and so also had a baronetcy (which he didn't use)

Anyway, he was also a secondary school teacher and taught at Bo'ness High School. Don't think I have any colleagues who are secret Barons.

Sir John Hurt is yet another great actor who we will all miss greatly.  My abiding memory will be of Olivander, of course, in the Harry Potter films, but I am a HP fanatic!!

I had forgotten that Tam Dalyell had a baronetcy.  You would never have known it because he was just such a lovely gentle man - at least in my experience.  The asbestos period was in the early 1990s.  When I left Linlithgow the Academy was in the process of being rebuilt.  I took photographs of the whole process of building all the temporary classrooms and deconstruction of the school.  I often wonder whether they are still somewhere in the school archives.  It was a really good school for both my sons, one of whom had a learning difficulty and one who was a bit of a high-flyer.

Roger walkowiak, the 1956 tour de France winner at the age of 89

He had been the oldest living tour de France winner since December 2016 when ferdi kubler died at 97.

iff, it looks as though cycling is good for your health and these gentlemen proved it with their longevity.

On February 1st, but I've only just seen it - Desmond Carrington. Probably best known as a long-time Radio  2  DJ, but remembered by ma as one of the doctors in the BBC hospital drama series Emergency Ward 10.

Another memory from my past has departed. 

Roger pingeon died at 76. He won the 1967 tour de France and 1969 vuelta a espana.

The third tour de France winner to die in 3 months

Edited by iff

I listened to tributes on Radio 5 last night about Chuck Berry.  What a prolific and poetic writer of songs he was.  I had no idea his work was quite so influential and wide ranging.  A huge talent and a great loss, but how wonderful to have had him in our lives.

I really enjoyed the Morse television series - a detective with an intellectual and classical music personality, refreshing!