Hazel

Rest in Peace

51 minutes ago, tagesmann said:

"Asterix was a star, Getafix was a druid, Dogmatix was a stubborn dog, and Anthea Bell was the translator that made all those wonderful puns."

"Anthea Bell, 'magnificent' translator of Asterix and Kafka, dies aged 82."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/oct/18/anthea-bell-magnificent-translator-of-asterix-and-kafka-dies-aged-82?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR3V5Za8kBOklfje2dD0FivRkYCBPIY-1yd8dzoTSaaHGCg4qUcPd6koT0Y

i was coming to post her death too. i really loved asterix as a child, getting the asterix books in the local library so its made me sad even though i hadn't even realised she translated them.

i thought her translation of walter kempowski's novel all for nothing was superb.

Author and book reviewer Eileen batters by after car accident 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/former-irish-times-critic-eileen-battersby-dies-following-car-crash-1.3741172?mode=amp

She has had a really big influence on my reading choices. Her love of books in translations were what encouraged me to get into them.

On a Saturday, the first thing I would do would be to search out to see what she reviewed that week.

There have been so many great books that I read because of her recommendations

9 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

June Whitfield at 93

We can't really complain at losing her after such a long and varied career, but it really has been a joy to  see/hear her work.

I remember her in "Take It From Here" on the radio, between my 7th and 14th birthdays , as "Eth"; girlfriend, fiancée & then wife to Ron Glum.

Then  in partnership with Terry Scott in a couple of long-running TV sitcoms from the late sixties to the mid eighties.

I was not an AbFab fan, so only saw her in trailers for that, but she endeared herself to a new generation if viewers for her work in that.

What a career!