Sign in to follow this  
SlowRain

The Grapevine: Forthcoming Book Releases

What are some forthcoming book releases that have piqued your interest?

A Most Wanted Man by John le Carré, September 2008 - Set in Germany and spanning one day, A Most Wanted Man chronicles the fate of a Muslim man who moves to Hamburg to enroll in medical school but because of his murky background ends up being followed by both local and other Western intelligence agencies.

Indignation by Philip Roth, September 2008 - Set in America in 1951, the second year of the Korean War, Indignation tells the story of Marcus Messner, from Newark, New Jersey, about to start his sophomore year at Ohio's Winesburg College. Marcus has elected to attend Winesburg College instead of his local college in Newark, where he originally enrolled, because his father appears to have become consumed with fear about the dangers of adult life, the world, and the uncertainty that awaits his son. Unable to live with his father and mother, Marcus relocates to Ohio to try and find his way in a very different American world.

Man in the Dark by Paul Auster, August 2008 - Seventy-two-year-old August Brill is recovering from a car accident in his daughter's house in Vermont. When sleep refuses to come, he lies in bed and tells himself stories, struggling to push back thoughts about things he would prefer to forget - his wife's recent death and the horrific murder of his granddaughter's boyfriend, Titus. The retired book critic imagines a parallel world in which America is not at war with Iraq but with itself. In this other America the twin towers did not fall and the 2000 election results led to secession, as state after state pulled away from the union and a bloody civil war ensued. As the night progresses, Brill's story grows increasingly intense, and what he is so desperately trying to avoid insists on being told. Joined in the early hours by his granddaughter, he gradually opens up to her and recounts the story of his marriage. After she falls asleep, he at last finds the courage to revisit the trauma of Titus's death.

What are some forthcoming book releases that have piqued your interest?

Man in the Dark by Paul Auster, August 2008 - Seventy-two-year-old August Brill is recovering from a car accident in his daughter's house in Vermont. When sleep refuses to come, he lies in bed and tells himself stories, struggling to push back thoughts about things he would prefer to forget - his wife's recent death and the horrific murder of his granddaughter's boyfriend, Titus. The retired book critic imagines a parallel world in which America is not at war with Iraq but with itself. In this other America the twin towers did not fall and the 2000 election results led to secession, as state after state pulled away from the union and a bloody civil war ensued. As the night progresses, Brill's story grows increasingly intense, and what he is so desperately trying to avoid insists on being told. Joined in the early hours by his granddaughter, he gradually opens up to her and recounts the story of his marriage. After she falls asleep, he at last finds the courage to revisit the trauma of Titus's death.

That has definitely piqued my interest!

I wanted to share a list of some releases coming out between Sept. and Dec.

to be added to list already posted.

September 2008

A Mortal Curiosity [Lizzie Martin #2] by Ann Granger [1st US edition]

The Replacement Child by Christine Barber

Too Close to Home [NS?] by Linwood Barclay

ON SALE THIS MONTH

EXIT MUSIC RANKIN

DRAINING LAKE INDRIDASON

IN THE DARK BILLINGHAM

NO HUMAN ENEMY JOHN GARDNER

BOOK OF LIES MELTZER

KILLING CIRCLE PYPER

HEAT LIGHTNING SANDFORD

NIGHT STALKER SWAIN

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 2008

ON SALE THIS MONTH

SCARPETTA CORNWELL

BONES KELLERMAN

Once Were Cops [NS] by Ken Bruen

The Brass Verdict [Harry Bosch #14] by Michael Connelly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2008

The Outcast [Nergui #3] by Michael Walters

DIVINE JUSTICE BALDACCI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 2008

ON SALE THIS MONTH

BONE BY BONE CAROL O’CONNELL

Apparently, there are new books in the works from Thomas Pynchon and Gabriel García Márquez. But so far that's just unsubstantiated rumor.

Apparently, there are new books in the works from Thomas Pynchon and Gabriel García Márquez. But so far that's just unsubstantiated rumor.
The Pynchon was confirmed by his publisher a month or two back. The Marquez was just blog speculation, quickly brushed aside.

Amazon have listed an "Untitled Novel" by Rohinton Mistry due for publication on 31st December. I could get quite excited about that, if I knew just a little more!

I had to go looking as the site I originally saw it on seems to no longer be active. But I found this (or this), which I what I vaguely recalled.

That disappoints me. García Márquez is going to pass away someday and leave behind too few novels. I hold out hope, as both those articles you referenced say that he's always writing something. Has DarÌo Arizmendi, head of news at Radio Caracol in Colombia, tried to defend his original story or admitted that he misunderstood? That may offer more detail into the matter.

Amazon have listed an "Untitled Novel" by Rohinton Mistry due for publication on 31st December. I could get quite excited about that, if I knew just a little more!
Oh, I get excited even if I don't know anything about it. What I've read by Rohinton Mistry so far was great.

Anyway - what about "our" author, J.N. Stroyar?

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro, 2009 - seems to be a collection of short stories

Looking forward to this one. Apparently Sarah Waters is releasing a book in the Spring, I couldn't find any title though.

The Humbling by Philip Roth, autumn 2009 - (according to fantasticfiction.co.uk) Everything is over for Simon Axler, the protagonist of Philip Roth's startling new book. One of the leading American stage actors of his generation, now in his sixties, he has lost his magic, his talent, and his assurance. His Falstaff and Peer Gynt and Vanya, all his great roles, "are melted into air, into thin air." When he goes onstage he feels like a lunatic and looks like an idiot. His confidence in his powers has drained away; he imagines people laughing at him; he can no longer pretend to be someone else. "Something fundamental has vanished." His wife has gone, his audience has left him, his agent can't persuade him to make a comeback.

Into this shattering account of inexplicable and terrifying self-evacuation bursts a counterplot of unusual erotic desire, a consolation for a bereft life so risky and aberrant that it points not toward comfort and gratification but to a yet darker and more shocking end. In this long day's journey into night, told with Roth's inimitable urgency, bravura, and gravity, all the ways that we convince ourselves of our solidity, all our life's performances - talent, love, sex, hope, energy, reputation - are stripped off.

(guardian.co.uk says it'll be 112 pages)

Nemesis by Philip Roth, 2010 - about "a wartime polio epidemic in the summer of 1944 and the effect it has on a closely-knit, family-oriented Newark community and its children."

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby, September 2009 - (from guardian.co.uk) "Fans of Hornby's High Fidelity will doubtless be delighted to learn that his next novel takes him back into the music world, though nowhere near the north London of Fever Pitch. His protagonist is a reclusive 80s rock star who is forced out of isolation when the re-release of his most famous album brings him into contact with some of his most passionate fans. Set in America and Lincolnshire, the novel tell the story of two lonely people finding each other across decades and continents."

Invisible by Paul Auster, October 2009 - (according to fantasticfiction.co.uk) Sinuously constructed in four interlocking parts, Paul Auster's fifteenth novel opens in New York City in the spring of 1967, when twenty-year-old Adam Walker, an aspiring poet and student at Columbia University, meets the enigmatic Frenchman Rudolf Born and his silent and seductive girfriend, Margot. Before long, Walker finds himself caught in a perverse triangle that leads to a sudden, shocking act of violence that will alter the course of his life.

Three different narrators tell the story of Invisible, a novel that travels in time from 1967 to 2007 and moves from Morningside Heights, to the Left Bank of Paris, to a remote island in the Caribbean. It is a book of youthful rage, unbridled sexual hunger, and a relentless quest for justice. With uncompromising insight, Auster takes us into the shadowy borderland between truth and memory, between authorship and identity, to produce a work of unforgettable power that confirms his reputation as 'one of America's most spectacularly inventive writers.'

Not forthcoming because it came out in April. But I totally missed the hype (perhaps there wasn't any).

The Canterbury Tales: A retelling by Peter Ackroyd.

From Penguin's website:

Famous for its ingenuity and wit, The Canterbury Tales is a major part of England's literary heritage. From the exuberant Wife of Bath's Arthurian legend to the Miller's worldly, ribald farce, these tales can be taken as a mirror of fourteenth century London and medieval society. Incorporating every style of Medieval narrative - bawdy anecdote, allegorical fable and courtly romance - the tales encompass the blend of universal human themes and individual personal detail that have fascinated readers for over 600 years. Here they are retold in full by Peter Ackroyd. The edition also includes an introduction by Ackroyd, detailing some of the historical background to Chaucer and the Tales, and details why he has been inspired to translate them for a new generation of readers.

And here is an extract

‘I know that virginity is a form of perfection. Chastity is close to holiness. Christ Himself is perfection. But He did not tell people to surrender everything for the sake of the poor. He did not order them to give up their worldly goods and follow His footsteps. That was reserved for perfectionists, as I said. But, my lords, I am not one of those. I have a few years left in me yet, and I am going to devote them to the arts of married life. I will couple and thrive.

‘And tell me this. Why does God give us those parts between our legs? C***s are not made for nothing, are they? They are not unnecessary. Some will say that they have been created so that we can urinate. Others will say that they are just the marks to distinguish female from male. You know that isn’t true. All experience tells us otherwise.’

Famous for its ingenuity and wit...

Crikey, well that's not very evident in his translation! The Wife of Bath is one of the most exuberant, earthy and witty characters in the whole of The Canterbury Tales and she sounds dull as ditchwater in that extract. Perhaps it's no wonder this has gone a little under the radar.