Sign in to follow this  
Hilary

Florence Nightingale biography?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good biography of Florence Nightingale. I browsed on Amazon and bought one called something like 'Florence Nightingale, Saint, Sinner or Rebel' (I don't think the middle word there was sinner but I can't remember what it was) but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. It wasn't really biographical, more a collection of related essays and excerpts from books.

Any suggestions?

Florence Nightingale: Avenging Angel by Hugh Small

51387E%2Bpm4L._SS500_.jpg

5100BY67EQL._SS500_.jpg

Haven't read any of them myself, but you can have a look at them on Amazon.

The second one there is one that we have in our children's libraries - not sure if it will go into enough detail for Hilary. It would make a good basic starting point though.

Would be interested to hear from someone that has read a decent biography because I heard a really random fact about Florence Nightingale that I find hard to believe, but I'm assured is true.

Florence Nightingale invented the pie chart!

Would love to know if that is actually true, for once I'm not being flippant. :D

Florence Nightingale invented the pie chart!

Now that is an intriguing fact! I know that she did great things in regard to hygiene in hospital and proving things statistically rather than relying on anecdotal evidence, so it might just be true!

There's never a definitive answer in these things I guess! Oh well.

It made a better little bit of trivia when I thought it was Florence Nightingale.

Though I was a little ignorant of here analytical skills before now.

I'm sure which ever books appeal will be very interesting.

The Lytton Strachey essay on Florence Nightingale in Eminent Victorians may not be a biography in the traditional sense but it is definitely worth reading for entertainment value.