Fancy Dress Nightmare!!

I'm seeking inspiration....

The school my kids go to tends to celebrate World Book Day by getting the kids to come in dressed up as their favourite character from a book.

This is dreamed up by teachers who like to torment parents, I suspect. ;)

My kids love books, but if asked their favourite character will either say "Dunno", or think of something that we couldn't possibly dress them as.

Anyone got any simple ideas for fancy dress, based, however loosely, on some sort of book theme :confused:

Ridiculous suggestions just as welcome as practical ones!! :D

I went to one of those at my primary school a couple of years ago, don't go as a wizard, I guaruntee (HOW do you spell that word????!!!!!!) about 3/4 of the school will be! I can't remember what I went as, I'll ask my brother, his school'll be having a fancy dress day I guess, so he'll hopefully have some ideas. I'll get back to you!

How about the characters from Charlie and the Chocolate factory?

Mike Teevee with his cowboy outfit and toy guns?

Veruca Salt - fur coat and an excuse for a tantrum?

Violet Beaugard - lots of attitude and a stick of gum?

The Wind in the Willows?

Toad if you can find driving goggles and leather gloves?

Badger - black and white clothes and face paint?

Good luck! I'm really glad I don't have kids (ducks in case you throw something :) )

Edited to add:

How about Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men? Nac Mac Feegles are distinguished by their wild looking hair - a tube of gel and you're away :D

I went to one of those at my primary school a couple of years ago, don't go as a wizard, I guaruntee (HOW do you spell that word????!!!!!!) about 3/4 of the school will be! I can't remember what I went as, I'll ask my brother, his school'll be having a fancy dress day I guess, so he'll hopefully have some ideas. I'll get back to you!

If 3/4s are wizards, then the other 1/4 will all be princesses and fairies, if last year is anything to go by :rolleyes:;)

• 3 months later...
A Nac Mac Freegle, yes, good idea! Needs to be red hair, though, and you need a kilt and a strong Scottish accent if you can manage it!

Don't forget the blue tattoos! That might be the stumbling block.

How about one of the young James Bond characters that seem to be in vogue now? Some cool sunglasses, neat hair, special agent toys and he won't look too out of place if you have to get the bus home...

Or a teacher from Harry Potter, plenty to choose from? Piece of covered/painted cardboard for a mortarboard...

Vampire from one of the vampire books, platic teeth, lipstick blood neat hair, black cloak.

OK better stop now, I don't even have the excuse of children, I'm just an auntie...

Casting my mind back I remember creating a 'Just William' outfit for one son. This involved scouring second hand shops for blazer and cap, which might be rather difficult these days.

Easier, but messier are Mowgli, from The Jungle Book and (if he is in any actual books) The Incredible Hulk. Both these outfits require the application of body paint of some sort, and a nice sunny day!

Stig of the Dump is similar to the last two, but without the paint.

I will consult the photograph albums, and add others if I find any!

Just looked on Amazon, and yes, there are Incredible Hulk books.

• 1 year later...

Don't send them at all, and when asked why they missed a day of school, tell the teachers that they were there but dressed as the invisible man.

• 1 month later...
Guest Colyngbourne

Mine have variously dressed up as Frodo, Ron Weasley (the supposed 3-day brilliant red dye in his hair had to be grown out over six months in the end), the Cat in the Hat, The Naughtiest Girl in the School, Mel Beeby from Annie Dalton's Angels Unlimited series, and young James Bond.

This year the youngest two went as Pippi Longstocking and as Joris the Assistant Demon-Hunter from Diana Wynne Jones' book The Homeward Bounders (which my son adored).

I usually end up dressed as Snufkin from the Moomin stories - I have the hat and the flag and the mouth-organ.

The stories about the wizards and fairies or princesses are true, most kids come like that.

But - there are stories about "normal" kids. I remember a day in school when I helped and a couple of kids came without a costume - not nice for them, so I tried to find something. In most cases, all I need was a piece of paper for a hat or a book itself. One girl went as the little girl from the big red dog ... Clifford, almost forgot his name, thank God ... Anyway, my son went as Billy Colman from Where the Red Fern Grows as that was his favourite book. All he needed was a pair of jeans, a tartan style shirt (both of which he had) and a hand-held lamp because that's what the boy had on the cover.

So, just check out what kind of books your child likes at the moment, I'm sure there's something that's more unique than a wizard.

• 6 months later...

Well im the kind of person who will dress up because the day ends in y. Habit i got from working for butlins. This years world book day books are Paddington bear,Princess Poppy: The Fancy Dress Party,Magic Kitten: A Very Special Friend ,Adventure According to Humphrey, Where's Wally?, Jane Blonde The Perfect Spylet ,Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets, Odd and the Frost Giants, CHERUB: Dark Sun . So my suggestion is link in with one of these themes. ie

Paddington Bear. Blue annorak yellow wellies

Princess Poppy is easy enough pink dress tiara,

Magic kitten all black clothes and face paint child with cat whiskers.

Wheres Wally. White and red long sleeve shirt cap and a walking stick.

Jane blone, CAt suit hair in pony tail

Cherub either normal clothes and answer to anybody that ask's clssified, or by a cheap black or red t shirt go to the cherub website and print of the cherub logo onto trnsfer paper and create your own cherub t shirt red for younger children as they are recrueits black for old children who can say they've been out on hard missions.

Hope that gave you some ideas

• 2 weeks later...

One school I know got round this by having the bright idea of getting the children to be a rainbow for the day - each class had to wear a particular colour and those who didn't got given sashes. Sat in assembly they really did make a rainbow. The teachers knew that the parents weren't likely to make an effort & found a really thouightful way to get round it - I was so impressed. (It doesn't take much!)

Hmm, some brilliant suggestions there. I keep having to dress up as book characters for our book festival, so have variously been a pirate, a playing card from Alice (dress in black with white tabard), Eowyn (peasant blouse and long plain dress over it), a smuggler and once the official Kipper the Dog. (Don't ask!) I think everyone else's suggestions are much more fun, though. :)

Hmm, some brilliant suggestions there. I keep having to dress up as book characters for our book festival, so have variously been a pirate, a playing card from Alice (dress in black with white tabard), Eowyn (peasant blouse and long plain dress over it), a smuggler and once the official Kipper the Dog. (Don't ask!) I think everyone else's suggestions are much more fun, though. :)
I know the feeling - I've been Angua (sp?) from Pratchett's City Guard books, the official "Cat in the Hat", the Bookstart Bear, Maisy the Mouse, The Ninja Librarian from Eoin Colfer's "Spud Murphy", and shortly will be:

This years world book day books...Where's Wally?,
as we are having a "Wally hunt" in a couple of our libraries for World Book Day.

• 4 weeks later...

My last remaining primary school kid kindly reminded me this morning that he had to dress up for World Book Day today - aaargh! Out with his brother's old Smolsky outfit from a few years ago (brown suit and raincoat), and lo and behold, yet another Dr Who for the day! I know it's a bit of a cop out, but he looked pretty good for a last minute panic! Last year he was a rather fetching Count Olaf, with a different brother's school play suit and stick on sideboards.

Now, I have been asked by the nursery to make an Easter bonnet for my youngest and bring it in on Thursday for their Easter parade. A bonnet?! For a boy?!

(Now, I know that 3 times in the last fortnight, various people have commented on my lovely "little girl", and one of them even said that when remarking on youngest's skull tattoos on his forearms - but an Easter bonnet?! For a boy?!)