Sign in to follow this  
Jenmcd

Amsterdam

This is the 6th McEwan I've read and while all his books are very well written and impressive Amsterdam is also extremely entertaining and frequently very funny.

The story opens at the funeral of Molly Lane, writer and restaurant critic, attended by her unpopular publisher husband George and 3 of her lovers - Julian Garmony, Conservative foreign secretary, Vernon Halliday, editor of a national newspaper, and Clive Linley, a successful composer. George seems to have managed to gain a control over Molly in her illness and death that he never had during her lifetime.

In the weeks that follow some compromising photographs of Julian Garmony come to light and Vernon and Clive come up against their own moral dilemmas which are ultimately their undoing.

This is a very good read which follows an unpredictable but ultimately believable and very satisfying plot.

I was rather disappointed by Amsterdam and thought it was a disgrace that it won the Booker. Not because it was an awful book but it simply wasn't good enough for that achievement.

I must admit, the details are hazy now since many years have passed since I read it, but it left me feeling as though many good ideas simply hadn't been developed or capitalised upon. It was almost as though McEwan had been struck by inspirations that ultimately bored him when it came to the writing process, so what ended up on the page wasn't developed in the way it should have been, leaving a lacklustre and unsatisfying novel. By the end I was left with the sensation of "Is that it, then?"

I suppose if it had been an author of whom I didn't expect so much I might have thought a little better of it. It definitely suffers from comparison with his other works.

Still, you've clearly read a lot of McEwan, Jenmcd, and you liked it. Maybe I missed something?

Still, you've clearly read a lot of McEwan, Jenmcd, and you liked it. Maybe I missed something?

I think it is probably a case of me missing something in his other work as although I was impressed by things like Atonement and On Chesil Beach I wasn't as blown away by them as a lot of people seem to be.

I looked at the Booker shortlist for 1998 and it seemed to be quite a weak year which I think may account for its win.

Thanks for starting this thread Jenmcd as I recently finished reading Amsterdam but couldn't find an existing thread and was reluctant to start a new one with negative comments.

But I was very disappointed by this book. The characters were not only unlikeable, but I didn't find them very believable either. And the ending lacked any drama as it had been pretty well signposted and again was hardly credible. All in all I have read much better McEwan.

I'm at the totally opposite angle to you, Jen, as this was the first McEwan novel I read. Like David, it's a bit hazy now, but I remember thinking "Is that it? Is this what all the fuss is about?" I think maybe I just didn't 'get' McEwan at the time, and as my reading tastes have matured I've learned to appreciate him more. It's one that hasn't been sent off to the charity shop so I'll probably give it another read soon as it's so short.

I have just finished this.  I enjoyed the read, and I was engaged enough to rush through it.  At one point I wished for more exploration or exposition or some of the story. But perhaps the point was to leave a fair bit unexplored.

The fate of Vernon and Clive were silly, but that wasn’t the point of the story, was it?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By megustaleer
      Can't decide if I am going to watch this dramatisation of Ian McEwan's 1987 novel.
      I have read it twice, many years apart, and couldn't make my mind up about it on either occasion. I'm pretty sure I started a thread about it on the second attempt, but it is one of the many we lost when BGOClassic went to the wall.

Anyone else think they might watch it - either out of curiosity as to what sort of a fist they make of it, or just as a Benedict Cumberbatch fan?
    • By Adrian
      One of the problems I have with Saturday (and this not the only one!) is that there are whole paragraphs (or maybe even pages) that are long passages consisting solely of detailed neurological conditions and surgical procedures.

I got the feeling he'd done lots of research with the quack chum he acknowledges, and was determined to fit it in regardless.

It was unnecessary padding, and in a short novel too. We soon know Henry is a renowned brain surgeon, so all the extra stuff didn't add anything. I'm no writer, but I think every scene should advance plot and / or character in some way. These did neither.

At the very least I found them distracting. Things are tootling along and then, here we go again.

McEwan is a master craftsman and I'm surprised. Should his editor be ashamed, or am I being too harsh?
    • By megustaleer
      I'm struggling to understand the significance of the poem Daisy 'reads'.

I think, perhaps, that some clue has been missed out when the abridgement for radio was made. Is this some sort of turning point in her relationship with her grandfather, recalling a time when they enjoyed poetry together and signalling a reconcilliation?

Why that poem?
      Why should it have that effect on Baxter......It barely seems credible to me that 'poetry (as opposed to music) should have charms to soothe the savage breast'

What significance is there in the fact that Henry only vaguely recognises the poem,

I have hidden bits of my questions, in case there actually is significance in the choice of poem!

I seem to have a problem with my second 'spoiler alert'.
    • By Lizzy Siddal
      Seeing as board members are mostly disappointed with this book, I wonder if the author's comments might shed enlightenment on his intent and make a difference to the reactions expressed to date.

1) McEwan wanted to change the emphasis of this tale. He wanted to write about a character, who is generally content with life, career and family. He also wanted to write about the enjoyments of Herry Perowne life: sport, music and food. Does the problem lie in the fact that "happiness writes white" i.e is very difficult to get down on paper in a form that keeps the reader interested?

2) McEwan is a human materialist (should that be a material humanist?) and Perowne's being a brain surgeon allows him to explore in detail his fascination with the question of how the sum total of a human being is more than the sum of its component parts. What determines consciousness? How makes us appreciate art and literature, etc? In fact, the climax of the book revolves around this seeming paradox? Perowne, a scientist with no appreciation for literature, is in mortal danger and, yet, his life is dependent on the criminal's artistic appreciation for one piece of poetry.

3) The depiction of the disintegration of Perowne's mother is taken from that of McEwan's own mother. In fact, the conversation Perowne has with his mother is taken verbatim from diaries McEwan kept at the time of his mother's illness. (The diaries were not written with a view to publishing, I hasten to add. McEwan only decided to include them midway through writing the novel.)

4) The editing process. This was my major concer nbecause I think McEwan has been served poorly by his editors on this work. So I asked him to describe the editing process. The answer was quite enlightening in that editing is done by his wife (a professional editor) and his friend, the poet. (The name escapes me at the moment, but it is the poet from whom McEwan borrowed Daisy's poem.)

So there we have it. Combine the lack of vigorous editing with the fact that McEwan quite openly states that he lost interest in writing fiction after the events of 9/11, and the odds are that the result would be poor.

It has been described as "important" and I suppose as a depiction of the Zeitgeist of Autumn 2003 it is just that. Is that enough for it to win major awards? Time will tell but I, for one, will be outraged, if it does.
    • By Bill
      Saturday, February 15, 2003. Henry Perowne is a contented man - a successful neurosurgeon, the devoted husband of Rosalind, a newspaper lawyer, and proud father of two grown-up children, one a promising poet, the other a talented blues musician. Unusually, he wakes before dawn, drawn to the window of his bedroom and filled with a growing unease. What troubles him as he looks out at the night sky is the state of the world - the impending war against Iraq, a gathering pessimism since 9/11, and a fear that his city, its openness and diversity, and his happy family life are under threat. Later, Perowne makes his way to his weekly squash game through London streets filled with hundreds of thousands of anti-war protestors. A minor car accident brings him into a confrontation with Baxter, a fidgety, aggressive, young man, on the edge of violence. To Perowne's professional eye, there appears to be something profoundly wrong with him.

Towards the end of a day rich in incident and filled with Perowne's celebrations of life's pleasures - music, food, love, the exhilarations of sport and the satisfactions of exacting work - his family gathers for a reunion. But with the sudden appearance of Baxter, Perowne's earlier fears seem about to be realised.

Ian McEwan's last novel, Atonement, was hailed as a masterpiece all over the world. Saturday shares its confident, graceful prose and its remarkable perceptiveness, but is perhaps even more dramatically compelling, showing how life can change in an instant, for better or for worse. It is the work of a writer at the very height of his powers.

If you buy through our Amazon link a small percentage goes towards the maintenance of this site.