Last lines

jfp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are those last lines still needing identification, and a few clues which might move things along a bit.

2) Never Mind. It’s done with now, anyway. - is the play, and is associated with two “national treasures”

4) As statistics, they were lost among the other battle casualties, which has a certain unintended justice. - this historical best - seller is an account of the turning point of World War II.

5 ) Congratulations Mrs Hatter,’ he said, ‘Our business is concluded. - is the second book in what is currently a trilogy by an award-winning woman writer

6) But then he had a stroke of luck - a new client, and he looked like a promising one. - is the first of a series of detective stories translated from the Russian

7) And as he realized it there were tears in his own eyes, and because of his tears the mountains were dazzling in the sun. The prolific author of this classic wartime romance is best known for his series of humorous novels of English rural life in the 1950s. Fair Stood The Wind For France - H.E. Bates

10) Visitors to the museum have no way of knowing to whom the painting once belonged - is the biography of the fourth man in a ring of five.

Or, does anyone want to set a single last line?

Those supplying right answers to my batch are

David - who gave the first right answer,

jfp, who got two right,

Freydis,

Momo

and Angel

Any of you got a last line for us?

7) And as he realized it there were tears in his own eyes, and because of his tears the mountains were dazzling in the sun. The prolific author of this classic wartime romance is best known for his series of humorous novels of English rural life in the 1950s

get the impression that you are moving on to the next one, Meg, but as I don't think you've given any answers yet (trawling back gets a little confusing) I'll try a guess.

". . . best known for his series of humorous novels of English rural life" must be H.E. Bates - I'll guess "Fair Stood the Wind for France". It's a long time since I read it so I've no idea of the last line.

• 3 months later...

Yes, it's Antony Blunt, His Lives by Miranda Carter

Still to be identified:

2) Never Mind. It’s done with now, anyway. - is the play, and is associated with two “national treasures”

A Cream Cracker Under the Settee - Alan Bennett

4) As statistics, they were lost among the other battle casualties, which has a certain unintended justice. - this historical best-seller is an account of the turning point of World War II.

5 ) Congratulations Mrs Hatter,’ he said, ‘Our business is concluded. - is the second book in what is currently a trilogy by an award-winning woman writer One Good Turn, by Kate Atkinson

6) But then he had a stroke of luck - a new client, and he looked like a promising one. - is the first of a series of detective stories translated from the Russian The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin

Hmmm. Well I have no idea but from that clue I'd guess it's an Alan Bennett so I'll go for Talking Heads, in which another national treasure, Thora Hird, starred in A Cream Cracker Under the Settee.

Still to be identified:

6) But then he had a stroke of luck - a new client, and he looked like a promising one. - is the first of a series of detective stories translated from the Russian

On Mount TBR so not peeking, but will have a stab at 'The Winter Queen' by Boris Akunin as being the only Russian author of detective stories I know. Any good?

And can you tell by the number of times I've posted today that I've got a day off work? Yippee!!!

'The Winter Queen' by Boris Akunin
Excellent, another one down, and only two to go!

They are:

4) As statistics, they were lost among the other battle casualties, which has a certain unintended justice. - this historical best-seller is an account of the turning point of World War II.

5 ) Congratulations Mrs Hatter,’ he said, ‘Our business is concluded. - is the second book in what is currently a trilogy by an award-winning woman writer

I'm pretty sure 5 is One Good Turn, by Kate Atkinson
I'm surprised that wasn't answered sooner, as I think quite a few members have read it. Perhaps it's not memorable?

Only one to go!

A further clue:

I bought this book with all good intentions after reading Helen Dunmore's fictional version of the same historical event, but it is a bit of a door-stop so I have yet to tackle it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel for clues now.

The decisive WWII battle which is the subject of this book doesn't have much cinematic coverage, but a 2001 movie starring Jude Law and Rachel Weisz is set during that campaign.

For pity's sake, someone must get it now, surely?

I'm going to guess 'Stalingrad' by Anthony Beevor

How pleased I am to see you back after your summer break, Keenomanjaro, as you are quite correct! :festive:

Now there is a small problem -

We have a three-way tie for the winning place, as David, jfp and lucyb each have two correct answers.

I could set a tie-breaker...

but on second thoughts, maybe the first one to get here* can set the next 'last line'. And as suggested further back, maybe one at a time would be a good idea

*no rush ;)