Sign in to follow this  
DeborahJames

What The Dickens?

hated the graphics though, very irritating.

Mmmm, I agree. If I'd had a games console gun I would have tried to plug it in the laptop and shoot those bl**dy flying books!

I am producing the second series of the show which inspired this quiz, What The Dickens? with Sandi Toksvig, which is why I won't be around on here much in the next few weeks (no change there then, I hear you say). When I was offered the job two or three weeks ago, I googled the show's title to see what I could find, and was soon led to this thread on my own website!

I only got 8 out of 12. :o

Ah well, I got 6/12. The response was quite complimentary to my score so I am not that worried that I only managed to get half right. Not very good on the classics so that probably let me down a bit.

10/12

Comment on my effort is too long to write & couldn't 'copy & paste' it. Basically it says I am a bit of a literary nerd who has no friends :P
Same here. Maybe that's the reason we're here??? ;)
... hated the graphics though, very irritating.
I so agree. They were just horrible.

Just to let you know that the first episode of What The Dickens?, produced by me, goes out tonight on Sky Arts 1 and HD at 7.35pm. It's presented by Sandi Toksvig, with team captains Supersizer and recent winner of Maestro, Sue Perkins and comedian Chris Addison, star of BBC2’s Lab Rats and BBC4’s The Thick Of It. The first show features Robin Ince and John O'Farrell.

If however, you can't access Sky Arts, or if you want to a little taster, here is an exclusive clip from tonght's show:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.skyarts.co.uk%2Fvideo%2Fvideo-what-the-dickens-series-2-episode-12%2F

All the rounds are new. Yes, and I’m Mickey Mouse introduces a member of the public who happens to have the same name as a famous fictional character, with the teams given 90 seconds to identify them through ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ questions. In ‘Love It Or Loathe It’, that week’s guests are invited to choose a subject from the arts that either delights or disgusts them. They must then claim that they both love it and loathe it in turn, with the opposing team then deciding in which of the extreme opinions expressed lies the truth.

If you can watch, please do - and let me know what you think. We need all the feedback we can get!

For those of you with Virgin, all the Sky channels return tomorrow, so if you have the right package, you'll be able to watch the repeats, which go out at these strange times:

Sky Arts 1 1:30pm Thu 13 Nov

Sky Arts 1 12:35am Sat 15 Nov

Sky Arts 1 11:40am Sun 16 Nov

If you're on Facebook, you can get updates via the What The Dickens? Events page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=34352416865

If you can watch, please do - and let me know what you think. We need all the feedback we can get!
Only just got round to watching this. Here are my personal comments.

Liked the format. Great to immerse oneself in literature in this way.

I love Sandi Toksvig anyway. She chaired it well, but did seem to make things easy for the teams at times - especially the picture quiz. But was that because they were a little obscure I wondered.

My favourite round was Yes, and I'm Mickey Mouse, although I was surprised at how quickly the teams guessed the names - probably because they are so clever.

All the other rounds were entertaining and informative.

The programme went very quickly so I knew I had enjoyed it.

One quibble - I found the set too blue. It felt too big and too cold. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Bill, I don't have Sky at home, but I wondered if the series would be available via the Sky Player? I just had a quick look and can't find it on the website.

I've moved this thread from Central Library.

Only just got round to watching this. Here are my personal comments.

Liked the format. Great to immerse oneself in literature in this way.

I love Sandi Toksvig anyway. She chaired it well, but did seem to make things easy for the teams at times - especially the picture quiz. But was that because they were a little obscure I wondered.

My favourite round was Yes, and I'm Mickey Mouse, although I was surprised at how quickly the teams guessed the names - probably because they are so clever.

All the other rounds were entertaining and informative.

The programme went very quickly so I knew I had enjoyed it.

One quibble - I found the set too blue. It felt too big and too cold. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Thanks for that, Barblue. I'm delighted you like the show. We're very pleased with it, and I hope we've shown that being on a minority channel with a small budget doesn't mean you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And I'm glad too that the only part of the show you didn't like was the only bit I had no control over - the set! It's the same one as the first series, which I wasn't involved in and which was very different to this one (the series not the set).

Grammath, the show should be on Sky 3 soon hopefuly, which is on Freeview, but you can see a number of clips here:

http://www.skyarts.co.uk/video/