I have changed this thread to encompass all teen angst telly - brakeonthroo's post referred to One Tree Hill.

My achillies heel is definitely teen angst telly - and by that I refer solely to the American stuff. I absolutely adore Dawson's Creek, which I own on DVD, and recently have gotten into The O.C. Yes. I know it's finished...but I always seem to come to these things late.

One Tree Hill, I have watched a couple of times but just can't get into at all - it is a poor man's DC.

This affliction must spring from growing up to John Hughes films. :rolleyes:

and recently have gotten into The O.C.

...and all the American grammar that goes with it. ;)

This stuff leaves me utterly cold and sitting down to watch a series of any of it on DVD surely is on a par with waterboarding and should be outlawed under international convention.

Mind you, I suspect these American shows are the equivalent to Shakespearre when compared with the British counterpart, Hollyoaks. Ye gods! I sometimes catch the opening titles after The Simpsons and it's enough to make you retch.

None of these shows are a patch on My So Called Life. So there.
Ah, I have that too on DVD, and yes, it is wonderful. Lovely to see Danes and Leto blossom.

David, I agree about Hollyoaks - it is horrendous. Damn those yanks and their perfect teen angst shows.

Damn those yanks and their perfect teen angst shows.

I feel this urge to sit on a mooring platform beside a lake with my strangely good-looking best friend from childhood to whom I'm in no way secretly attracted, oh no. There I'll discuss how my point's been totally lost, how no one seems to understand me, except my oddly-more-attractive-than-usual-in-the-moonlight best friend, whom I think I'll cuddle just to get some emotional support in this difficult time when no one will listen to what I'm saying. Why does it have to be me? Why am I the only one who can see the truth? Is it some curse? Did I do something wrong when I was a kid?

Golly - my strictly platonic but now remarkably good-looking friend looks like she wants to kiss me. Perhaps I'd better. I mean that's bound to put an end to my problems, isn't it...?

I adored My So-called Life as a teen & now own the series boxset. Apart from the fashions, it's absolutely timeless in terms of parent/teen issues, first loves, how you change in your teens & should be seen by adolescents everywhere. I really like The OC too & own all 4 seasons of that too, even though I don't like every episode. I like the balance of humour & drama and how the parents' storylines are just as important as the kids'.

OTH is dire, IMHO, as I couldn't sit through more than 5 minutes of the pilot before giving up, but that might just be the whole ba*aaarrrggghhh*sketball angle, which just bores me to tears.

Never really followed Dawson's Creek or Beverley Hills 90210 (or whatever the area code was) but saw odd episodes, but it never really hooked me!

Did anyone else watch the Australian teen show called H(e)artbreak High? That and MS-CL were my after-school TV viewing in my teens.

I prefer series that have something else to offer. I have recently particularly enjoyed Veronica Mars and Skins.

Veronica Mars follows the adventures of a teenager whose (ex-Sheriff) father is a private detective in a small Californian town. Veronica dabble in the decting lark as well. The stories deal with the more heavy teen issues than is usual. Drugs, sex, crime and violence are all handled with style and without too much sensationalism. There were three seasons of this show made before it was cancelled.

Skins is set in an unamed town in the South West of England. It follows the storeis of a group of teens who all go to a College of FE. There is plently of sex and drugs and commedy. The scripts were written by young writers and although sometimes a bit exploitative handle the issues that concern British teenagers very well. The second season has just won a raft of awards at Montreaux.

I have changed this thread to encompass all teen angst telly - brakeonthroo's post referred to One Tree Hill.

That's so unfair!

I saw BH90210 on DVD in the library today, and I was so tempted to, like, rent it or something.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles just started tonight. Summer Glau plays some teenage girl who has to protect a 16? 18? year old John from marauding cyborgs. I feel the same way about as I did about Tremors II. Enjoyable hokum but nothing like the original.

Did anyone else watch the Australian teen show called H(e)artbreak High? That and MS-CL were my after-school TV viewing in my teens.

Oh dear God, I loved Heartbreak High, especially the character Rivers. That and Degrassi Junior High were prime time TV for me - forget Grange Hill, those were the shows to watch.
I've never gotten into any of the teen angst TV shows, but I loved the old 80s John Hughes films - especially The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink.
I am sure that my love of these shows stems from watching John Hughes films. BTW, I read somewhere recently that he has become a recluse and writes screenplays under another name - a recent(ish) one of his was Maid In Manhattan. I say, John, stick to the another name if that's the crud you are coming out with now.

Heartbreak High*, My So Called Life, Dawson's Creek, were all must-watch shows as a teenager. I was also known to watch avidly the re-runs of Pugwall on in the morning during school holidays (alongside Saved by the Bell).

I did watch Hollyoaks for the first couple of years - when it was on in series (2-3 times a week), rather than its non-stop daily soap opera style. It wasn't too bad then, but since it has upped it's regularity it's gone downhill almost proportionally. Phil watsisname, who created Grange Hill also created the early Hollyoaks which might explain something. I also preferred the early Grange Hills.

I suppose GH is more pre-teen angst (or tween angst?) - in that category too then, Byker Grove anyone? Ah-ha, ah-ha, ah-ha...

*On the occasions that I've watched Home and Away (with my nan), I can't see Leah without thinking of HBH - her character Katerina was one of my favourites.

*On the occasions that I've watched Home and Away (with my nan), I can't see Leah without thinking of HBH - her character Katerina was one of my favourites.

That's right - and she plays such a good girl in Home & Away, compared to her character in HH. God, I wish they would release that on DVD - I loved it.

This is the nearest I could find -

<input id="session-id" name="session-id" value="203-4316906-2817549" type="hidden"><input id="ASIN" name="ASIN" value="B000026S8K" type="hidden"><input id="isMerchantExclusive" name="isMerchantExclusive" value="0" type="hidden"><input id="merchantID" name="merchantID" value="" type="hidden"><input id="nodeID" name="nodeID" value="229816" type="hidden"><input id="offerListingID" name="offerListingID" value="" type="hidden"><input id="sellingCustomerID" name="sellingCustomerID" value="" type="hidden"><input id="sourceCustomerOrgListID" name="sourceCustomerOrgListID" value="" type="hidden"><input id="sourceCustomerOrgListItemID" name="sourceCustomerOrgListItemID" value="" type="hidden"><input id="qid" name="qid" value="1210417244" type="hidden"><input id="sr" name="sr" value="8-4" type="hidden"><input id="storeID" name="storeID" value="music" type="hidden"><input id="tagActionCode" name="tagActionCode" value="" type="hidden"> <input id="viewID" name="viewID" value="glance" type="hidden"> <table class="buyingDetailsGrid" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="215"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100%">

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="100%"> <table class="buyBox" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="215"> <tbody><tr> <td class="topLeft" width="190"> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="19" width="52"><tbody><tr><td>

</td></tr></tbody></table> </td> <td class="topRight" width="13"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bottomLeft"> </td> <td class="bottomRight" height="12"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="100%">

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="100%"> </td></tr></tbody></table> <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript"> var registeredImages = new Object(); var numberToPreload = 6; var preloadCount = 0; function registerImage( id, image, html, caption ) { registeredImages[id] = new Object(); registeredImages[id].image = image; registeredImages[id].html = html; registeredImages[id].caption = caption; if ( preloadCount < numberToPreload ) { var imagePreloader = new Image(); imagePreloader.src = image; preloadCount++; } } var allPreloaded = 0; var selectedImageID = "original_image"; function displayImage( id ) { if ( id == selectedImageID ) return; if (registeredImages[selectedImageID].ciuAnnoContainer) { registeredImages[selectedImageID].ciuAnnoContainer.hide(); } selectedImageID = id; document.getElementById('prodImageCell').innerHTML = registeredImages[id].html; document.getElementById('prodImageCaption').innerHTML = registeredImages[id].caption; for ( elementID in registeredImages ) { var imageThumbnail = document.getElementById(elementID); if (imageThumbnail != null) { imageThumbnail.style.border = '1px solid #999999'; } if ( !allPreloaded ) { var imagePreloader = new Image(); imagePreloader.src = registeredImages[elementID].image; } } document.getElementById(id).style.border = '1px solid #990000'; allPreloaded = 1; if (registeredImages[id].ciuAnnoContainer) { registeredImages[id].ciuAnnoContainer.show(); } } </script><script> registerImage("original_image", "http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415JKEY3FVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg", "+", "

See larger image"); </script> 415JKEY3FVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg