Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Subscribers' Only Quiz - Films and Literature

CaramelPoster.jpg

2008 Momentum Pictures. All rights to be reserved.

To tie in with the release of the film Caramel (cert PG) on May 16th, its publicists have kindly offered prizes for a quiz. First prize is 3 DVDs: The Painted Veil, Amelie and Miss Potter. There are two runners-up prizes of DVDs of the excellent film The Painted Veil, based on a story by W Somerset Maugham.

Hazel has very kindly agreed to write the quiz, which - appropriately - is about Films and Literature. It's a challenging quiz, so we accept that you may have to do a little research. You have up to a week, with the closing date for entries being Wednesday May 7th at midday. If you haven't managed to get all of the questions right, just enter anyway, as you may still be eligible for a prize.

To enter, just send your answers to Hazel as a PM. In the event of a tie, the winners will be picked randomly. Happy quizzing!

Here is some information about the film Caramel:

Caramel (cert PG), at cinemas everywhere from May 16, is a deliciously indulgent, intimate and humorous account of five women working together in a beauty parlour. To celebrate the release, we are offering you the chance to win a collection of stunning films on DVD that include Amelie, Miss Potter and The Painted Veil.

Written by, starring and directed by the beautiful Nadine Labaki, and tipped as one of hottest films at Cannes, Caramel weaves a delicious tale of life and love and is as sweet and moreish as its title. Beautiful Layal is oblivious to the gaze of a local admirer and instead fixates on a married man. Nisrine will soon be married but is afraid her fiancé will discover he isn’t her first lover. Rima has designs on one of her stunning, dark-haired customers. Jamal is an aspiring actress refusing to grow old, while ageing Rose is overwhelmed when she discovers true-love for the first time. As the women from different generations share in each others experiences and emotions, the beauty parlour becomes a colourful hub of friendship and wisdom. Find out more at: http://www.caramelmovie.co.uk

Over to you, Hazel.

I feel as if I should be standing to the side, dressed only in a sequinned swimsuit and flashing a megawatt smile...but here you go folks -

1. Mandy Moore, Kevin Costner, and James Garner all starred in movies made from the novels of which romantic writer? Can you name the 3 films/novels?

2. Room number 217 of the Timberline Lodge Hotel in the novel was switched to 237 in the film because the hotel owner complained about not being able to let the room again – what was the film, who was the director and original book/author?

3. Stephen King donned religious dress for what film adaptation of his novel?

4. Both Marton Csokas and Ian McKellan have appeared in ‘The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring’ and The ‘Lord of the Rings: Return of the King’. What other film links the two actors and the name of the author of the original book?

5. The Night Owl café is the scene of massacre in which Curtis Hanson-directed film? Who is the author of the actual book?

6. The late Brad Renfro has starred in his fair share of book-to-film adaptations. Can you name 4 examples – both the film/book title and author?

7. Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow starred in the 1998 adaptation of which classic novel?

8. Clint Eastwood has become arguably the best director of great book-to-film adaptations – can you name five examples – and the author of each book?

9. Alec Baldwin’s role as Blake was not in the original text of this 1992 film – the role was specially created by the writer for Baldwin and the film. Who is that writer and what is the play/film?

10. Chuck Palahniuk came up with the character of ***** ****** years before he ever wrote his book. He got the idea after an encounter with a real life person named Tyler Lovelly whom he was seated next to on a plane. What is the book/film and the character’s name and the actor who played him?

11. Gwyneth Paltrow and Daniel Craig played which literary couple in 2003?

12. Which hard-boiled author/screenwriter had this to say about the movie industry?

The motion picture is like a picture of a lady in a half-piece bathing suit. If she wore a few more clothes, you might be intrigued. If she wore no clothes at all, you might be shocked. But the way it is, you are occupied with noticing that her knees are too bony and that her toenails are too large. The modern film tries too hard to be real. Its techniques of illusion are so perfect that it requires no contribution from the audience but a mouthful of popcorn.

And can you name 3 books of his made into films?

Good luck folks!

Wow! That's a suitably testing quiz, Hazel, and I'll try to stay in the spirit of quizzes and do as much as I can with my thinking cap rather than my Google underpants.

I'll try to stay in the spirit of quizzes and do as much as I can with my thinking cap rather than my Google underpants.
Awww, bless you kind sir, in this day and age of Google, it would be nice to see people exercise the less-used organ. The brain, that is. No funny ideas.

Just 24 hours to go people, please get in your entries even if you haven't managed all the questions.

Just 24 hours to go people, please get in your entries even if you haven't managed all the questions.
I managed one - don't think there's much point in clogging up your PM box with that!

I managed one - don't think there's much point in clogging up your PM box with that!
Actually, as things stand just now, you'd be guaranteed a prize!

So, please enter no matter how many you have.

Just got home and thanks to Bill's PM I now know about this quiz :o

Think I know about three and a half of them for certain (strangely two involve Gwyneth Paltrow and I'm not even a fan...) and have some guesses about some others, so will try to put my thinking cap on and wind up google tomorrow lunchtime.

Thank you to everyone who entered this quiz. The quiz is now officially closed and here are the answers -

1. Nicholas Sparks: A Walk to Remember, Message in a Bottle, The Notebook.

2. The Shining, Stanley Kubrick, Stephen King

3. Pet Semetary

4. Asylum, Patrick McGrath

5. LA Confidential, James Ellroy

6. Your pick of: The Client - John Grisham, Apt Pupil – Stephen King, The Informers – Bret Easton Ellis, Sleepers – Lorenzo Carcaterra, Bully – Jim Schutze

7. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

8. Your pick of: Blood Work – Michael Connelly, True Crime – Andrew Klavan, Million Dollar Baby – F X Toole, Bridges of Madison County – Robert James Waller, Mystic River – Dennis Lehane, Flags of our Fathers – Ron Powers and James Bradley, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil – John Berendt, Firefox – Craig Thomas, Absolute Power – David Baldacci, The Eiger Sanction – Rod Whitaker, White Hunter Black Heart – Peter Viertel…

9. David Mamet, Glengarry Glen Ross

10. Tyler Durden played by Brad Pitt, in Fight Club

11. Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes in Sylvia

12. Raymond Chandler:

The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely, The Long Goodbye, Poodle Springs, Lady In the Lake…

Now, 2 people got all the questions correct, so a coin toss gave me the winner, and the other gets 2nd place.

In third place...Megustaleer!

In second place...Dabarai!

And that leaves us with 1st place...MisterHobgoblin! Congratulations!

Bill will post details of the prizes and ask for addresses to be PMed to him.

Thank you again for participating and congratulations to our worthy winners!

So congratulations to Mr HG for winning - he wins the DVDs of The Painted Veil, Amelie and Miss Potter.

Congrats too to Dubarai (but bad luck for missing out on the toss of the coin) and to the filmaphobic megustaleer, who will each receive a copy of The Painted Veil.

As I said, please send me your real names and addresses, although meg needn't, as I have hers somewhere.