The CHERUB series is a great series of books, they provide book for younger children about the age of 11 and older, but they are not recommended for very young children, they are great books, and you get stuck into them really easy, I read the whole series in about 4 weeks, you just can't put them down.

The main character called "James choke" starts off to be an 11 year old boy, but then his live seems to get out of control.

his sister "lauren choke" isn't the same, although they both share the same advantage, being really good at maths. Lauren never gets into trouble, but James does.

James ends up getting in trouble really bad, he comes home to see that the cy has became worse.

I've not read any myself, but would like to warn people to be cautious of the later books if thinking about getting them for 10-11 year olds. The early ones are fine, but some of the later ones have more graphic and violent content, and we have them in our 14-19 collections.

I think Huntress has started a thread about one of the Muchamore books?

I've read them all as my 14 year old twins started the series some time ago and wait eagerly for the next. i would agree that the violence gets stronger and that sex starts to appear...there is importance laid on relationships tho.

i have had no trouble with my 11 year old reading them. He enjoys them and I think some of the elements go over his head and certainly worse violence can be seen in many tv programmes and films.

I've read them all as my 14 year old twins started the series some time ago and wait eagerly for the next. i would agree that the violence gets stronger and that sex starts to appear...there is importance laid on relationships tho.

i have had no trouble with my 11 year old reading them. He enjoys them and I think some of the elements go over his head and certainly worse violence can be seen in many tv programmes and films.

yeah, just as flingo said, the more recent books are quite violent, but the recent ones do have a warning on the back, saying "not suitable for younger readers"

so I think that might have stopped parents buying them those books, for there younger children.

also maybe some parent think that, James choke (the main character), is a bad influence?

I love the cherub series. I feel its much more reliable than series like alex rider where he always manages to avoid dieing 5 times a book. The thing i love most about this series although the kids are spys they are still kids and doing what most teenagers do. I think my fav of the series so far was the "Fall " however wasnt that impressed with "dark sun." I also miss Large. The cherubs series is one of my fav series going.

• 1 year later...

My son told me to read the first book in the series "The Recruit" as it was "really good" and I have to say I agree with him. I was a bit unsure at first as sometimes the writing tells you things you'd rather work out for yourself as the main character does, but I think this is because it's an action adventure and it has to keep up the pace.

I liked the fact that it was very up-to-date with the sort of things kids would have or want like mobiles, x-box, the designer labels and when it was dealing with the first mission the petrochemical companies and the hippy commune weren't portrayed as good guys vs bad guys. There was room for discussion and seeing both sides.

Sometimes, I felt that things were a bit glossed over though. You never really got an idea of any emotions unless they were blatently told to you.

There was a warning on the book that it wasn't suitable for young children and there was a bit of violence in it, but nothing too graphic. It also felt right to have the kids smoking, drinking and getting up to no good. The book didn't take an blatently moral stance on this, but didn't show it as a good thing either.

I don't think kids will be too worried about my concerns though as it was a cracking story in an 'Alex Rider' sort of way.