Sign in to follow this  
katrina

The Motorcycle Diaries

This book charts the journey of Che Guevara across South America.

After having seen the film I was expecting lots of descriptions of beautiful landscapes, funnt scenarios and tales of hardship. However the book moved so quickly from one area onto the next that I never felt that I got to really 'see' any of the places that they travelled to or felt that I got to know either of the travellers.

I thought I'd started a thread on this already - must have been another casualty of the Great Crash of 2007.

I agree that in many ways it does seem superficial, but I found "The Motorcycle Diaries" educational about how Che became the figure he became rather than as a travelogue about South America. Before reading it, I hadn't realised that Che actually came from a fairly privileged background.

In addition, some of the things he sees and does, particularly the time he spent in the leper colony, seem to have been integral in shaping the revolutionary that would emerge later.

I did debate whether to put this in travel or the biography section.

You could see the influences of the trip on his later life, I just felt that I didn't gain very much info about him and the events.

I had the same problem with this book, having watched the movie beforehand. The film works by approaching the story as a road movie of sorts, but the book is clearly not so much about the journey through South America as the series of events which inspired Guevara and led him down the revolutionary path.

Read in that context, I think the book works well, but I must admit, it wasn't what I expected and took me a good while to get into.

A good example of why it's never a good idea to watch a movie before reading the book.