Sign in to follow this  
Lauracs5

What's your all time favourite scary story?

I'm on the hunt for the ultimate scary story...

I have to admit I saw this topic posted in the romance forum (obviously the topic wasn't horror), however... I'm curious what people would recommend as their all time scariest reads. I love books which are so well written that they leave you scared to look under your bed at night, or unable to sleep with that wardrobe door open.

I think so often horror is an overlooked genre which doesn't get the appreciation it deserves. Take Stephen King for example, I know there are a few people on here who feel his recent offerings leave a lot to be desired. However, no matter what your feeling on the themes of his novels, no-one can criticise his amazing ability to draw you into to whatever nightmare world he has created.

So, my question to you is, what book leaves you sleeping with the light on?

For me I'd have to go with "It" by Stephen King. It may not be his most respected novel, and the television dramatisation may have ruined peoples opinions somewhat, however this is by far and away his best novel in my opinion. Come on, who isn't afraid of clowns....

For me I'd have to go with "It" by Stephen King. It may not be his most respected novel, and the television dramatisation may have ruined peoples opinions somewhat, however this is by far and away his best novel in my opinion. Come on, who isn't afraid of clowns....

Oooh, It would rank quite highly with me too, it scared the bejesus out of me. I'll have to have a think about others...

The Turn of the Screw is something I found really disturbing rather than horrifying. A lot of times it's stories with children in them that affect me the most... and yes, I do think it's because I have them.

'The Ring' is a film that so terrified me that I've been looking for the same thrill ever since. Once, I was watching the Japanese version on DVD and just when I got to the part where Asakawa watches the video, my telephone rang...

it was just a neighbour.

But there is something about that film in particular that really frightens me. I've tried to work out why. I think maybe there's something about the woman in the well (something uterine about the well? You know what I mean, the water and

the agonised way she pulls herself out

and also about the film and the way images might be projected from the woman's mind and somehow captured on it. And also about the deaths of people who seem to be the victims of being told they are going to die (like an Australian aboriginal 'pointing the stick') I find this all very, very creepy. It was also my first experience of J-horror so the images that have since become quite common (the long, black hair, the dripping water etc) were quite new to me.

Anne Rice's 'Interview with a Vampire' scared me. Only the first one. Because it did seem thrilling and original - and therefore a little believable. I tried to recapture that by reading some of the others but they very rapidly became formularised and thus just not scary any more.

Well, if the discussion is open to film too, then I have to cry a resounding scream for Wolf Creek. That film has deeply scarred me, I can't go by a remote farm or scrapyard without getting a chill. I found this film truly terrifying and had nightmares about it for a long time. Now, I love horror it mostly all its incarnations but Wolf Creek? Never again.

It takes alot to scare me, and whilst I wasn't exactly frightened, Wolf Creek really disturbed me. Has anyone seen "Fragile" with Calista Flockhart? Perhaps not the most challenging film ever made, but that freaked me out quite alot too!!

The Ring is the only horror film that has left me feeling extremely uncomfortable. It really was... horrible. The thrill I usually get from a horror flick just wasn't there, I'm afraid. I'm afraid! Ahem...

Stephen King's It was a terrific story. It was also (as I've said in the past) a very good tale of childhood and the transition to adulthood. The only bit that left me uneasy was at the start when the lead character's little brother disappeared. From then on, it was very clever stuff, and the device of telling two parallel stories (with the same characters as children and adults) was inspired.

Guest Ian

Film?

Has to be "The Blair Witch Project" - it has that element of realism by the way it was filmed, but you never actually see anything at all, and my imagination was playing pace setter for my pulse - excellent film.

Book?

I've read so many excellent horror books that i've gone beyond being scared but check out the "Psychomok" trilogy by Brian Lumley - they're not bad at all.

I'd have to go with "It" by Stephen King. It may not be his most respected novel, and the television dramatisation may have ruined peoples opinions somewhat, however this is by far and away his best novel in my opinion. Come on, who isn't afraid of clowns....

I would agree if I'm allowed to throw away the last hundred pages or so -

from the bit they go past the door in the tunnels as adults

Anything which hints but doesn't show usually does it for me. For any Greens among you, my bedside light is an energy saving one!

I'm a bit of a wuss with horror movies - even clips of the Exorcist have me hunting for the special pillow I hide behind for Doctor Who (told you I was a wuss!) I did watch an episode of the X-Files - The Calusari - which had an exorcism in. I slept with the main light and my bedside light on. And I don't really mean slept. I also made my boyfriend check under the bed and in the wardrobes just in case. And he still married me.... makes you wonder.

I honestly don't think I have yet to read the scariest book. Some have left me in some discomfort, or played on my mind in the night, but they have never kept me up.

The most uncomfortable one would have had to have been The Rats by James H. It freaked me out and worse, my big sister came up to me a few weeks ago claiming she'd had a dream about giant black rats with long tails. (this was quite strange since she had never ever read the books)

For a film I would have to agree with The Ring. After watching that movie I cannot look at a disembodied ghost in anything. The way they move just sends chills through me and I immediately feel sick. But I have always been that way. I can watch any horror movie, but if it involves children and ghosts it makes me feel ill (though I still watch them...I'm quite strange like that).

Ghosts scare me more because I believe that they exist, so watching movies of ghosts and demons who possess and harm others really freaks m e out.

Japanese horror would have to be the best I have ever seen. Though I must admit, still waiting for the book.

when i was younger i read Lord Loss (darren shan) and got rather scared by the gory scene in which the protagonist sees his family being gored by demons...

altho the most disturbing scene is probably in 'Prosession of the Dead'(also darren shan) when the protagonist finds out that he enjoys killing innocent people,i find it hard to belive someone would think like that

im not into horror,i just read alot,darrenn shan is one of my favorate authors and after trying out his 'saga of darren shan' i vowed to read every book by him,i think i have...