I Want My Light On

Hazel

My son was given this by the Mothers & Toddlers group when he left in December for nursery. I suspect it was meant for a girl, but nevertheless, he enjoys it.

The Princess, who appears to live in a vast castle, doesn't like the dark and wants her light left on. She is scared that ghosts will come out in the dark, and various members of her frankly, eccentric household come in to her room to tell her how to get rid of ghosts. Eventually, she is persuaded to turn the light off and inevitably meets a ghost.

You can really bring this book to life by adopting ridiculous voices for the eccentric characters. I make the princess brattish, as she screams "I want my light on!" and the ghost oddly comes with a Brummie accent in this house. There is lots of "woooooooooo!" text to make spooky, and my youngest likes it best if I build up the 'wooooo' into a really scary and loud climax.

It's an odd household and begs to be read theatrically.

The Little Princess is another well established picture book character who has been given a new lease of life in the form of a TV series.

There are a number of TV tie-ins (eg I don't want a cold) which are rather twee, wordy and commercial fodder, but the originals from Tony Ross are treasures.

I'd love to see a Hazel performance one day - I think I could learn a thing or two!! :D

I'd love to see a Hazel performance one day - I think I could learn a thing or two!! :D

Ah, exclusive performances only. Not even ticketed.

I thought I saw this series of books on TV, but wasn't sure if it was based on or an extension of the Ross series. It's not something that would have stuck in my mind though, as I thought it was for girls. Youngest was given in by accident, albeit he loves it.