Favourite Children's Fantasy Authors

Mine, as I may have given away already is Diana Wynne Jones & my favourite of her books by far is Fire and Hemlock, which I have read more times than I care to think about. :)

I also love (or have loved at some point): Cornelia Funke, CS Lewis, Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley & can't even remember the ones I wrote just a second ago... :mad: (And I would like to try Garth Nix someday.)

As I assume you are referring to favourite children's fantasy authors, I have to give my vote to CS Lewis who - forty years ago! - first attracted me to the genre. Whatever children's fantasy I have read since then has been forgotten except JK Rowling, although I have the Pullman trilogy near the top of my TBR pile at the moment.

Whatever children's fantasy I have read since then has been forgotten except JK Rowling, although I have the Pullman trilogy near the top of my TBR pile at the moment.

And you read The Dream Merchant by Isobel Hoving. I remember us discussing it in the "other" Childrens / Teen Fantasy thread.

I was surprised a few years ago when helping with a shortlisting exercise how much I enjoyed fantasy, as I didn't really see myself as a fan. Some of my favourites are the incomparable Cornelia Funke, William Nicholson, Elizabeth Knox, Anthony Horowitz (Power of Five series), Terry Pratchett (Wee Free Men, Tiffany and co). I'd like to read more Paul Stewart and Chris Ridell - particularly an Edge Chronicles book as I've only read Barnaby Grimes.

Lost_Spook, I read Sabriel and found it a real struggle. I did buy Abhorsen to read shortly after but in about 5 years have never got beyond the first chapter. I'd recommend one of the Keeper of the Keys series as a good starter - I've read a couple (Tuesday and Friday, I think) for work, and they were more enjoyable, and as you said in t'other thread "fun". Might be better to start at Monday though, so you don't spend the first 150 pages or so trying to work out what on earth has gone before.

Flingo, yes, I think the Keys series would be a better place to start - they look like fun, as you say. One of the things that caught my eye about his books was that one of his older titles The Ragwitch seemed to have similarities to Diana Wynne Jones's Time of the Ghost.

Has anyone else read Tamora Pierce? I rather like her Tortall series, which are still fun to re-read now. She's a good example of a writer who likes to make her characters work to achieve their aims. She's not as well known as most of the others we've mentioned, but she's still going strong. (In fact I noticed that my post made a link to a new series by her... Intriguing - how did I miss that?)

Growing up I adored Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain. (Disney combined all five into The Black Cauldron, which I never dared watch!). Around the same time, I also read Pat O'Shea's The Hounds of the Morrigan. I risked re-reading that one recently and it stands up well. Irish mythology, plenty of humour and memorable characters. (I think it must be unique in the character of six-year-old Bridget.) It's about 400 pages long and I used to borrow it from the library, read it three times in a week, take it back and then do the same again & again, until my grandparents finally bought me my own copy! :rolleyes:

Returning to the present, I am really enjoying Cornelia Funke's books. (When will Inkdeath be out?)

I read a recent book by James Moloney - The Book of Lies, which was a nice little fantasy. It ended as though it should have a sequel, but have seen nothing since. I thought F. E. Higgins The Black Book of Secrets was surprisingly good as well. I haven't read the next one yet, (despite being sent the proof in a cardboard coffin).

I missed out Joan Aiken whose brilliant Wolves of Willoughby Chase sequence was an based around unusual an 'alternate history'. I loved the Stolen Lake in particular. (Just the title for a start...)

I could go on a while here - better stop!

Irish mythology, plenty of humour and memorable characters.

Which has just reminded me of Kate Thompson - I loved her New Policeman. Another author I must pull my finger out and read more of!

Returning to the present, I am really enjoying Cornelia Funke's books. (When will Inkdeath be out?)

That had passed me by, but the film of Inkheart is being trailled in cimemas at the mo, and I really want to go and see it.

I thought F. E. Higgins The Black Book of Secrets was surprisingly good as well. I haven't read the next one yet, (despite being sent the proof in a cardboard coffin).

The second one, The Bone Magician is just as good - very cleverly woven as it's story runs in parallel to TBBOS. Did you find the chocolate hidden in the bottom of the coffin?

(PS - I reused the coffin to wrap His Lordship's brother's xmas pressie - well he is a bit of a goth!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about the fantasy I used to love and remember being absolutely gripped by Andre Norton's The Crystal Gryphon. I read it when I was about 9 or 10 and wandered round with it one Saturday morning, unable to put it down. I can't quite imagine recommending to a child now - that deliberately archaic prose!! :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...