Sign in to follow this  
Claire

Pre-History - Do You Like Him?

I've just come to the end of the Pre-History section of the book.

Maybe not a very literary question - but, do you like the narrator, Charles Arrowby?

I guess there's two aspects of that. Do you think you would warm to him as a person, if he was real, and you met him?

And, how well does he work, within the book, at making you want to keep reading? Is he an effective "voice"?

In most books told in the first person, I tend to warm to the narrator, whoever they are, it's just my natural reaction - (do other people find that too?) - but it's been quite an interesting experience to read the first section of this book, with really mixed feelings about the narrator. I found myself trying to like him - I appreciated his attempts at honesty about himself and his own awareness that he was unreliable narrator, even while he tried not to be.

But having read Lizzie's letter, which moved me by it's struggle to be truthful about her love - his reaction to it as being from a "silly inconsistent woman" made me want to slap him ;) and I was much more ambivalent about him from that point onwards.

(He certainly works well, to make me want to keep reading, by the way - I'm really enjoying this book :) )

What does anyone else think of him?

Loved your post!!!

Isn't Charles just too much? I totally understand and agree with what you are saying about him. He is SUCH a theater person - a regular drama king.

And I love Shruff End!!! What an interesting and great setting!

One of the things that I really like about Murdoch's writing is that for me every 'scene' is so visible. I keep thinking how her stories would make a great movie or play. I think that is true of this one also.

I am glad you are enjoying it. I had better get busy and catch up with you. I have been reading just a little of this while reading other things because I wasn't sure when everyone was going to start on it.

Shruff End is almost a character in it's own right, isn't it. Definitely a house with personality.

I struggle to understand why Charles has had so many women apparently so devoted to him :confused: To me he doesn't seem to have that sort of charisma at all - but maybe that's because we're seeing him more from the inside, as he sees himself - rather than as an influential, talented, powerful theatre director, in his natural element. I don't know....

One of the things I'm loving is that I have absolutely no idea where the book might be going. Most books you feel as if you can see the rough shape of the ending from earlyish on - even if you can't predict quite how they are going to get there.

Now that I'm a little further on into the History bit of the book, and Charles's relationships have got somewhat more, er, complex....(see, no spoiler!! ;) ), I just haven't got a clue how the whole situation will get resolved - or even if it will get resolved.

And the characters are so complex and many layered and unpredictable - I can't read too much of it in a sitting, it's just too much to take in!

Wonderful, wonderful stuff!!

I have to say I didn't find Charles particularly unlikeable (in the pre-history, I've already got a bit further). He seemed intelligent and with true feeling, and I can understand his desire to get away from things. I can imagine that women were attracted to him, because he probably always remained friendly at some level, though not enough to be really accessible, which can be attractive to certain women.

I did get very annoyed with him in the first few pages, when he was umming and ah-ing about starting his journal/book, and how to do it. I almost found myself yelling 'get on with it!'. The style was somewhat dithery, and took me some time to get used to.

So far unfortunately I'm not enjoying the book as much as you two. There is so much detail which is detracting from the narrative (though it does get better later on, I'm getting into it now). I guess it's just not my kind of thing, I can certainly see why others have loved it.

I do agree with you about the very beginning. I almost abandoned the book half way through the first paragraph, as it was just chock full of wordy description, apparently written in the third person - which rarely grabs me at all. I just about crawled, gasping, to the second paragraph and discovered that what I was reading was the narrator's attempts at autobiography, and decided I might give it a chance. (Glad I did ;) )

Hope you continue to find that it improves as it goes on :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By cherrypie
      I have just started this book having finished Love for Lydia by H.E. Bates only yesterday. Although the two novels are very different, both language and story, they were both written in the mid 20th century. This may seem daft, I am no great expert on literature, but they do have the same feel about them. It was obvious from the very beginning of the novels that neither of them were modern novels and yet they do not contain the type of language or are written in the style of most of the 19th century literature that I have read. It seems that no matter how different the style or language used any novel carries a flavour of the time in which it is written as much as the time in which it is set.

That all said I am beginning to enjoy the book. It is not going to be an easy read as Murdoch seems to like to explore the thoughts and feelings of each character as well as telling the story. The story has taken place in two places so far, Whitehall and Dorset. Although some of the characters are different in each setting some do appear in both settings but the main character appears to be John Ducane a Whitehall civil servant. He is a complicated character and a deep thinker and has been given the task of heading an internal enquiry into a suicide of a colleague.

So far there has been a real feeling off the sixties about the book when I blieve it to have been set. This has not been stated that is just my guess. Although seemingly quite light-heartedly written so far I suspect that the story will take a sinister turn at some stage.
    • By winterwren
      These questions are taken from the Reading Guides site.

1. Charles's house, Shruff End, is in many ways a character in its own right. Intricately described, the house is explicitly referred to as gloomy and cave-like and can in many ways stand as a metaphor for Charles's own mind.

What are some of the ways that events and features in Shruff End indicate Charles's mental state?
    • By Claire
      Anyone interested in giving this question a go....(borrowed by Winterwren from an online readers guide, I think)

Likely to be spoilers, I suspect, if anyone hasn't finished reading the book yet

A very daunting set of questions, I think, but maybe we could nibble away at different aspects of them, between us.

I actually felt the book was more focussed on the nature of marriage, rather than the nature of women. There was a lot of small comments here and there from different characters about how marriage is a mystery, and no-one can tell from the outside whether it works or not, or whether it is happy or not. Charles on his drunken night out with Peregrine in London spent some time discussing the marriages of certain friends and speculating on how happy or otherwise they were. He seemed to take great satisfaction in deciding that most of them weren't.

Plus his apparently very deliberate acts to break up Peregrine's marriage with Rosina - the impression I got was that he did that much more because he resented their relationship, rather than because he actually wanted Rosina for himself.

And Hartley, somehow, mysteriously, wanting to stay in her marriage, despite it's apparent misery (in Charles judgement, as least) - a very mysterious marriage, and yet somehow it seemed to work for the two of them within it. Is Hartley free?? I guess so, yes. Free to choose to remain with Ben, despite Charles efforts....

(I'm not really answering the original questions at all am I! Never mind - I'm interested in any comments the rest of you have, all the same)

• By DJgib
      Just wondering what you think of Charles' method of 'convincing' Heartley to leave her husband for him.

I was extremely annoyed about how he went about it. I felt he didn't give her enough time, forcing himself on her and saying things like 'you belong to me now'. He never listened to what she had to say, when she said he didn't understand he talked over it and he ignored her saying she wanted to return to Ben.

It seems to me that this behaviour is an illustration of Charles' arrogance. He may truly love Heartley, but he is also driven by a desire for power and to get what he wants. If he loved Heartley in a true, altruistic way, he would allow her to follow her own course.

On the other hand it may be argued (as Charles does himself) that Heartley would never leave Ben if she was only shown the door, she had to be dragged through it if she was ever going to leave.
    • By Claire
      What did you think of the ending of the book?? I was a bit puzzled and unsure about it. I was expecting some sort of dramatic climax, I guess, though unsure as to what it might be. So I was surprised when it just of muddled about for a bit and drifted off very gently.

I guess it was a hopeful ending. Charles seems to have come to some sort of acceptance of his own past and no longer be driven by whatever internal demons were compelling him onwards. He seemed happy to let others do their own thing, rather than needing things to revolve around himself so much....

Still not sure about it though. Did anyone else find it satisfying, or disappointing?