Sign in to follow this  
My Friend Jack

My Story

Tommy Docherty was the first football club manager that I was aware of, circa 1966. The high profile manager of an up-and-coming Chelsea side, he was often in the headlines for the wrong reasons... or so it seemed. Having read his entertaining account of his life in football, I did find my self wondering quite what he'd done to attract so much attention. Oh well, those were different times.

I had certainly forgotten how many clubs Tommy had managed, and how brief most of his tenures actually were. It's particularly interesting to hear his account of the "junior board" at Old Trafford as well as the influence that Sir Matt Busby continued to have at Manchester United long after he had vacated the manager's office.

In view of his long and high profile career, it's surprising to realise that the number of trophies won under his management is so small - a League Cup with Chelsea, an FA Cup and a Division 2 championship at Man U - and that's about it. Not bad, really, when you consider he never applied for a job in his life.