Doctor Who series 4

I have to admit I love Dr Who, I read a couple of books when I was a kid but never really got into it. I didn't overly like the first of the new series, I thought it looked cheap and I didn't particularly like Christoper Eccleston but I do love David Tennant. I think the whole style and quirkiness he brings are excellent.

I also love his hair and I've had mine cut in the same style. Yes I know its sad and geeky but I dont care!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, excellent episode! Moffat is consistently spot-on with his understanding of kids and what makes things scary: things in the everyday world. So we had statues in Blink and now the dark, with the great concept of counting the shadows. Combine that with shambling skull-in-a-spacesuit and you've hit gold (though best not to think too hard about how the skeleton is moving...).

As ever he's written a well-paced story with plenty of tension (including taking a while to get going: just the feeling of being in a huge empty building was enough). He also has more of his excellent original ideas, such as the consciousness persisting after death, which is doubtless going to lead to quite a poignant moment this week.

I also like the idea of the girl 'connected' to the library, who may or may not be 'real'. The idea of the thousands of people being 'saved' perhaps seems a bit too obvious in terms of where it's going, but then maybe that's just wrong-footing us. Most intriguing, though, is River Song and her knowing the Doctor from the future - any number of possibilities there!

Cracking episode, proper scary like Dr. Who should be. Wonder how many people slept with the lights on last Saturday night?

I also like the idea of the girl 'connected' to the library, who may or may not be 'real'.

I'm wondering if it's a sort of "The Matrix" in reverse and she is a construct created by the computer systems in the library becoming self aware.

I was very surprised to find that my six year old grandson was allowed to watch it. If I was his parent I would have wanted to 'vet' it first, and maybe let him watch it the next day - a lot nearer breakfast than bedtime!
I can't agree with that. It's always been a show for kids and six years old is damn good age to be getting frights like that.

My 7 year old had a nightmare about Saturday night's episode, his very first TV/film related nightmare. Strange as he watched Alien Vs Predator the following night with no ill effect.

I can't agree with that. It's always been a show for kids and six years old is damn good age to be getting frights like that.
He's happily watched all of the current series, and the previous one, including 'Blink'. I would just have been a bit more anxious this time that danger from things hidden in the shadows might trigger a fear of the dark that he hasn't exhibited so far.

No ill effects to date, so we can watch it together when he next visits ;)

Edit: He does have sleep problems anyway, as part of his particular genetic disorder, and is on medication to help him get to sleep

I would just have been a bit more anxious this time that danger from things hidden in the shadows might trigger a fear of the dark that he hasn't exhibited so far.

That is exactly what has happened with eldest. 3 days later and he is still 'lip-quivering' about going to bed.

I didn't watch the episode, but I think I'll have to before I consider him watching the second part.

My six-year-old is an avid fan, and has been ever since S1 3 years ago. After that first episode, Rose, I had to draw loads of pictures of "plastic men" (Autons) smashing shop windows. Nowadays he draws his own pictures, but usually of Spider-Man or Star Wars or tanks.

We generally record each episode of Dr Who and let the boys watch it on Sunday morning. Watching it "live" can lead either to too much brain activity ("Daddy why did..." etc) at bed-time or a fear of the dark. The only time he's ever got really upset was after Rose's disappearance ("Daddy, I never want to watch that one again,").

Really enjoyed it again this week.

A classic line (from memory so I may have got the exact words wrong):

I'm the Doctor and we are in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up.

I was going to say the same thing, I also like what River said about army turning and running when faced with him...

Good, but not quite as good as the previous week, I think. I'm intrigued by River: does this mean she's going to be turning up somewhere in the future?

I didn't get why she would apologise to him for knowing his name, and what was that about there only being one time he could tell someone his name? I want to know what that means.

what was that about there only being one time he could tell someone his name? I want to know what that means.
I can only think of two possible occasions. At his wedding, or on his deathbed (after the very last regeneration).

I didn't get why she would apologise to him for knowing his name,
Spoiler? - if there was only one time he could tell someone his name the fact that she knew it would reveal something of his future.

I didn't get why she would apologise to him for knowing his name, and what was that about there only being one time he could tell someone his name? I want to know what that means.

Well, you'd have to guess marriage, wouldn't you? It's difficult to think of another scenario that would mean he'd have to reveal his name, other than some arcane Time Lordy thing that we wouldn't be able to guess.

I had guessed that what she'd whispered was his name since it had to be something intensely personal that no one would know, but whether she'll come back? I doubt it because it's clear she's a major part of his life so couldn't just breeze in and out. We've already got his 'daughter' whizzing around out there - he's building up a proper old extended family! One of those details that will be lost as an anomaly in time somewhere, I would guess.

I loved the episode, which worked through the issues nicely, although 'Doctor Moon' ended up feeling a rather contrived idea in order to get a name that could be applied to an apparently real individual.

I loved the distorted face - a proper old scary moment for the kids in the best Who tradition!

Listening BBC Radio's 5 live programme Simon Mayo Broadcast on 5 live Mon 09 Jun - 13:00 -16:00 (1-4)PM

There, they had livelyish conversation on that programme .

Looking forward to seeing ALL of this years Who (which I've torrented all of 'em, weekly, some hours after they went out back home) CBC : http://www.cbc.ca/bc/programs/ is dire with it's bloody adds, :scared::banghead: see their site on Doctor Who by the way: http://www.cbc.ca/doctorwho/

S

Hi all!

This was the first few episodes that had me intensely interested and curious for a while now. After the first part I really did want to know what was going on.

During parts of the current run I've been getting very bored with the formulaic idea of giving the doctor someone to care about and then taking them away in the same episode. It's been a very repetitive idea and I started to get fed up.

However....

These episodes have bought me back from the brink of giving up on it, even though the same thing has happened again! At least there was a twist on it with River there was a bit of a spin on things. I do wonder if there is a bit of planning for the future though????? Alex Kingston is a talented actress and quite famous in her own right, maybe she could be a future companion? Or maybe another attempt at a spin off series is imminent?

Anyway, two great episodes that have restored my faith and interest.

Plus I think Donna has been a great partner for the Dr. It's been great to see interaction without any romantic subtext.

I do wonder if there is a bit of planning for the future though????? Alex Kingston is a talented actress and quite famous in her own right, maybe she could be a future companion? Or maybe another attempt at a spin off series is imminent?
Nah, it just seems like a bit of endless speculation for the fans. Steven Moffat pretty much confirmed it as that in the accompanying Doctor Who Confidential. We don't know how many regenerations down the line he is when he eventually meets River Song for his second time/her first time.
Steven Moffat pretty much confirmed it as that in the accompanying Doctor Who Confidential.

I'd pretty much given up on those but probably should have watched that one. I'm sure that's true, but then she recognised him straight off which suggests knowing him in this regeneration, which seems a bit sloppy. Still, I suppose there'll be some explanation if they were pressed that someone that close would recognise him in any body. :rolleyes:

Probably of more significance for how this series will pan out is River's reaction to Donna and refusal to comment on what happens to her, implanting the notion at least that something sticky is in the pipeline.

Thanks Meg and David. I thought it might have to do with his death, but I really don't see him as the marrying type, not now anyway! Who knows what'll happen to him in the future?

I reckon Donna will leave of her own accord, perhaps if she finds Lee again. CT did say something about Donna falling for someone other than the Doctor on Jonathan Ross, so maybe she'll meet someone and head off into the sunset. She might wast to leave when Rose returns anyway, depending on how long Rose herself is staying for.

Alex Kingston is perhaps too famous to be a companion so perhaps she could be the Doctor re-incarnated???
Nah.

It cant be too many reincarnations down the line as Timelords can only regenerate 12 times, all except the Master who has done 13/14?
A pedant writes that he Doctor doesn't get reincarnated but, instead, regenerates. Anyway, knowing RTD's love of all things ending with reversal, as if it all never happened, I wouldn't be surprised if the last DT episode ended with the last four seasons having never happened - as if closing off a Time War reinstates to before the war - and that two regenerations are saved by having McGann return. :D