Doctor Who series 4

I'm enjoying this series a lot. It's very refreshing not to have Donna lusting after the Doctor like Martha did. That got very tedious. Catherine Tate is a much better actress as well and fits well with Tennant, Despite the complaining I did about her, I think she fits in well.

Liked last week's episode. I'm only familiar with the television adaptations of Agatha Christie's work, but I enjoyed it. I also love how the Doctor is always so enthusiastic about books and their longevity. Nice way to encourage the younger generations to read.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catherine Tate is a much better actress as well and fits well with Tennant, Despite the complaining I did about her, I think she fits in well.

Yes, I'm still enjoying the repast of my own words over that. She's very good and certainly an improvement on Martha.

I really enjoyed the Christie episode, which was a lot of fun (though I can see kids wouldn't have enjoyed it so much). To be honest I think they pushed the titles game a little too far because a lot of them grated through not really fitting the context very well and consequently becoming rather groany.

I thought choosing Christie's disappearance as a setting for a story was inspired and yes, FLS, I also love RTD's attempts to turn kids on to books.

The SFX review raved about the scene of the Doctor's poisoning but I'm afraid I cringed a bit over that, not least because it was strongly reminiscent of the scene with Rose's Mum Jackie after the regeneration.

Still, very much a thumbs-up!

I didnt really like Donna at first mainly because the catherine tate show bugs me but i must say im starting to like her character now. she does get some good one liners in this series. Especially in "Dr Daughter" episode. ( also anyone see Jenny as a good charter from torchwood.) next weeks episode look well cool anybody else thinking they'd love to go to the biggest libabary in the galaxy even if there are murdering aliens about?

So, with no surprise whatsoever it's announced that Russell T. is to step down as Executive Producer of Who after the 2009 specials.

The excellent news is that he's to be succeeded by Steven Moffat (writer of The Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child and the superb Blink).

Hats off to Russell for what he's done - I think he's achieved something superb and given a remarkable new lease of life to the series with a sensitive, respectful but also contemporary take on the concept. He's created excellent drama that's been funny, moving and thoughtful, sending out valuable messages to children too.

However, I do think it's time for a change and I hope that Moffat will funnel a little more of the darkness back in - something he's proven good at in the past.

I suppose that makes it all the more likely Tennant will leave after the specials too and by then I think a change will also be healthy.

Read the story here.

Now all we need is shot of Tennant whose gurning is tiresome, and we could have a better show.
I am not an avid viewer of DW, but I do catch most of what the boys watch, and while I don't want shot of DT, I'd have to agree that his overacting is really the only parts of the shows that make me roll my eyes. That poisoning scene...dear lord. :rolleyes:

I quite liked the poisoning scene, actually!

Yes, not a surprise that RTD is going. He said in an interview a while back that he knew when he was leaving and it didn't take a genius to guess when it would be. My guess is that Tennant will depart at the same time, leaving the show ready for some new blood all round. I like Tennant as the Doctor, but I want to see what else he can do and filming for nine months of the year on DW doesn't really give him time for films or the like.

Looking forward to seeing what Moffat does. Didn't like The Girl in the Fireplace, but Blink and The Empty Child were excellent episodes. More of the same please!

Didn't like The Girl in the Fireplace

:eek:

*Gasps in horror*

Really? Golly - I thought it was absolutely superb. Still, we all like different elements!

I know he gurns a bit but on the whole I think Tennant's been pretty good. He can do the humour quite well (and although the poisoning wasn't great I think that was the writer's fault more than his) and can also turn on surprising gravitas when he wants. I quite like his slightly childlike wonderment at the universe and he almost seems a little Troughtonesque.

Still, if Moffat does the wise thing and darkens it down a shade then someone else would be better.

Still, if Moffat does the wise thing and darkens it down a shade then someone else would be better.
David Morrissey or James Nesbitt then.

There are reports of the former being filmed already, with photos on DoctorWhoForum.com. But you'd need to dig deep to find them.

And didn't like The Girl In The Fireplace? Madness. Of all the episodes the show has had, Moffat's three rank up there as one, two...and three.

Definitely not Nesbitt. It would just become another Nesbitt vehicle of which there have been far too many over recent years :(

Mmmm, I can sympathise with that, but I'm afraid Moffat may well be keen since he penned the recent Jekyll, which was of course one of those very vehicles.

Yes, Nesbitt's characters are always the same, only the accent ever changes (occasionally). Which is probably what you mean by "a Nesbitt vehicle."

What I like about the last 2 Doctors is that they were played by actors who put a lot of effort into creating their versions. Although CE seemed to play his part in Heroes as the Doctor-with-a-beard! DT, however, has been remarkably versatile in the range of characters he's portrayed in recent years. Anyone else remember Blackpool? I do, and it's why I'm lukewarm on David Morrissey as the Doctor. DT blew him off the screen without even trying. Although I do (several times every week) recall his line to Sarah Parrish, IIRC, "Give us a hand with these cufflinks, it's like trying to shag a mouse!"

Watched the Christie episode this afternoon, and loved the book titles - I have them all - but didn't count them, as I was a bit slow realising it was going to be an ongoing gag (thick, or what?).

Disliked the poisoning scene, very silly.

I'm ready for a new Who, but not Nesbitt. I've seen him on TV too much in recent years, but I don't know David Morrissey at all so have no opinion on him one way or the other.

I missed The Empty Child :(, and didn't give The Girl In The Fireplace my full attention :o ,but loved Blink so I look forward to more episodes like that.

(Six year old grandson recently spotted my birdbath, which is a shallow bowl held aloft by a concrete 'statue', and pointed to it saying "Don't blink!")

Not James Nesbitt as the Doctor, please. David Morrissey could be good, though. DT hasn't gone yet, so we shouldn't be picking his replacement just yet!

Meg, if you saw the BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility earlier this year, David Morrissey played Colonel Brandon. (Not as good as AR, though!)

And, no, I didn't like The Girl in the Fireplace. Didn't think it made all that much sense and I don't like Sophia Myles.

Meg, if you saw the BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility earlier this year, David Morrissey played Colonel Brandon. (Not as good as AR, though!)
Ah, yes. Now I remember him - liked him as Colonel Brandon. I think he'd make a good contrast to David Tennant's Doctor.
Jennifer Saunders is apparently in the running to be the next Dr.

Oh please, no!

I saw the trailer for the next episode this morning, for the first time - Oh boy, am I looking forward to that (a double, I think?)

Great article, MarkC. I've put a copy of your post into an Austen thread, as I'm sure it would be of interest to Austen fans as well as Whovians.

I saw the trailer for the next episode this morning, for the first time - Oh boy, am I looking forward to that (a double, I think?)

It's a good ol' trail, isn't it? It's not just for the next story, though - same as last year it's a rest-of-series trailer, so I don't think Rose or the Daleks are playing a part in the library story.

Edit: Missed your article link, MarkC. Yes, that's interesting, though slightly overplays Austen's place in the evolution of literature and seems odd in its claim that the only historical figures people would recognise apart from monarchs are writers.

Jennifer Saunders is apparently in the running to be the next Dr.

Yeah, that rumour's been going a while.

Great article Mark. Would love to see the Doctor pay Jane a visit.

Saw the rest-of-series trailer the other day. Looks good, though the Daleks are back. Thought we'd go a series or two without seeing them.

fireball, we've already had one two-parter this series. We usually get three per series and we're about due for our second.