Sign in to follow this  
Calliope

Song of the Year 2007

Thinking of most years brings a song to mind, not necessarily the best one that year, but just one that for some reason or other has grabbed my imagination and musical interest - for 2007, my personal song of the year is

In another category, my so-silly-it's-a-little-brilliant choice for 2007 is

Hoosiers - Worried about Ray. (with extra points for the head in the fridge and 2007's best guitar-used-as-a-monster-defeating weapon moment)

(For 2006, my song of the year was My Chemical Romance's Black Parade)

Does anyone else do this? I'm wondering what 2007 will sound like to other people?

I was just thinking about doing a thread just like this yesterday! Great minds Kimberely!

My song of the year is definitely Pull Tiger Tail's Let's Lightning. It rocks and is great to run to.

Plain White T's - Hey there Delilah

I stopped listening to my favourite radio station because they kept playing that! My tunes of the year, ie. the ones that have defined my long drives to and from work have been anything by the Enemy, Editors and Richard Hawley's albums, and Led Zep's Mothership. I think it's been a good year for teenage indie guitar bands, but nothing else new has really caught my ear. And don't get me started on b****y Delilah!

I've been thinking about this and have decided on the following (which I am sure will change once more pop into my head):

- He Said He Loved Me - Reverend and the Makers

- Baby Fratelli - The Fratellis

- Stop Me - Mark Ronson

- Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah (sorry LL!).

Although I think it was first released at the end of 2006, New Young Pony Club's "Ice Cream" was on heavy rotation for a while chez Grammath.

Also "No Cars Go", the best tune one of the year's best albums, Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible", and "Revival", the opening track on the year's most criminally overlooked album, Soulsavers' "It's Not How Far You Fall It's The Way You Land". This album just snatches the "criminally overlooked" title from The National's "Boxer".

My song of the Year would have to be either Halo or Aesthetics of Hate by teh band Machine Head.

Halo would be a candidate because it is the most epic song I have heard in the longest time. It begins quiet but explodes into heavy guitars before sliding into a heart pumping prechorus.The chorus itself is incredible, focusing on harmonies which blend perfectly with the singers voice as he cries out Halo!

The solo are heart-felt and when the song breaks down for the crescendo of the song i just feel goosebumps, the when it hits they don't go fast they hit the crescendo slow before returning back to the original riff.

The song as a whole is a complete and utter masterpiece of modern metal music and is a must listen for any music fan, even those who do not count Heavy music as their preference.

Aesthetics of Hate on the other hand is a song I would choose simply because of personal reasons. Simply because three years ago a guitarist named Dimebag Darrell was shot dead onstage and it affected an entire nation of fans and people who listened to Metal music. Someone wrote an article soon after his death proclaiming that Dimebag was a stupid, rediculous person and that those who mourned him were 'humerous'. I myself read the article and this song managed to encompass all the hatred that I felt towards it.

Well those are my candidates for 2007, I'm sure more will come to mind later, but those two are the ones that come to mind.

"declare independence" by Bjork is outstanding

This is coming out as a single and is reviewed in the Guardian this week. The reviewer says 'all I hear is an aggravating woman yelling oddly-shaped buzzwords over and eight year-old Squarepushers track'. Pity the poor fool. Bjork is wonderful (but not my track of the year).

I haven't actually bought / downloaded a lot of new music recently but from memory my candidates for album of the year would be:

Neon Bible - Arcade Fire

Some Loud Thunder - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Beyond - Dinosaur Jr

New Young Pony Club's "Ice Cream"

Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible",

Soulsavers' "It's Not How Far You Fall It's The Way You Land".

The National's "Boxer".

I haven’t heard Ice Cream or Neon Bible yet but have enjoyed both New Young Pony Club and Arcade Fire’s other stuff. I’ve managed to listen to some Soulsavers and The National and am very impressed, Thanks for the recommendations.

My song of the Year would have to be either Halo or Aesthetics of Hate by Machine Head.
”The Blackening” is now my joint album of the year. This is brilliant!

My other album of the year is "LP" by Holy ****. These are my "find" of 2007 and are absolutley fantastic.

No problem, tagesmann. The National remind me of early REM, and those that know my music taste will know I can give a band no higher praise than that.

"Ice Cream" was NYPC's debut single. Their debut album, "Fantastic Playroom" is splendid shouty funky grrl pop and worth checking out in its entirety.

Some Loud Thunder - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Really, RR? I have to say I found this album disappointing in comparison to the brilliance of their debut, which would have got the nod for my album of 2006. I haven't listened to it much, maybe I should give it a reappraisal.

for 2007, my personal song of the year is

Such a nice, happy song. I've heard it a million times on the radio, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did indeed win some sort of prize for that.