A book for 'reluctant reader' boys

Ping

The "Horrid Henry" novels are really popular, although I think they are aimed at slightly younger kids.

If he tries and likes Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider books (I loved them all!) then also try the "Young James Bond: Silverfin" by Charlie Higson.

What about Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books? More fantasy, but good fun.

If its more non-fiction books you are after then try the "Explorers Wanted" books by Simon Chapman. They are based on his real life exploration notes, and test the readers survival skills as well.

• 2 years later...

How about football books? Annuals etc. are very popular with the boys in my library and also books about snakes...! Always the snakes. And the Guinness Book of Records are seemly THE book boys have to get their hands on - literally, we can scarcely keep up with demand. Plus the graphic novels type of stuff goes down quite well, Simpsons books particularly, joke books, quiz books, books about cars...it depends how 'hardcore' reluctant they are and what he's interested in and probably some degree of what looks 'cool' enough to be seen reading. Reading at home would probably have less of this than reading at school though.

How old is your son? My 11 year old son was a competent but reluctant reader for many years, but took off with Anthony Horowitz' Alex Rider books:Point Blanc, Stormbreaker, Eagle Strike. I can't remember what order they come in. Alex Rider is a teenage James Bond who beats all the bad guys. It's action packed, and well written. He's also written books for younger readers. All of them were at our local library.

I LOVE they books, I'd recommend them because there so fun and action packed, I have read point blanc the second one and another. I can't remember which one it was but it was when this crazy man is trying to kill alot of people just to stop drugs. Hes got big bombs what he could of exploded but alex rider just in the nick of time stopped him.