Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Subscribers' Offer - Xmas Number Ones Quiz

'Tis the season to be jolly, and as it is also the season of goodwill, BGO is offering our lovely subscribers the chance to have a little fun with a little prize on offer. Here are 41 lines or snippets of 41 Christmas number ones. All you have to do is guess the artist and title of each song. We would ask for the year as well, but then, we may as well just hand the prize over to My Friend Jack straight away. ;)

Second and Third runners-up will receive a Christmas selection box, but our very own number 1, the winner, will receive a wrapped surprise gift to put under their Christmas tree and only to be opened on Christmas Day, of course. In the event of a tie, then the winner's name will be pulled from a Santa hat. Closing date is a week today - the 13th of December. Well, Santa needs time to post the prizes in time for Christmas Day.

ETA - Sorry! PM me with your answers.

Good luck!

1. Wherever you’re goin’, I’m goin’ your way - 1961, Moon River, Danny Williams

2. No such number, no such zone - 1962, Elvis Presley, Return to Sender

3. Oh yeah, I’ll tell you something - 1963, I Want to Hold Your Hand, The Beatles

4. Baby’s good to me, you know, she’s happy as can be - 1964, I Feel Fine, The Beatles

5. Tried to please her, she only played one night stands - 1965, Daytripper, The Beatles

6. The old home town looks the same, As I step down from the train - 1966, Green Green Grass of Home, Tom Jones

7. I don’t know why you say goodbye, I say hello - 1967, Hello, Goodbye, The Beatles

8. Ebenezer thought he was Julius Caesar

And so they put him in a home - 1968, Lily The Pink, The Scaffold

9. Up goes a shout, A horse dashes out - 1969, Two Little Boys, Rolf Harris

10. I’ll be your leprechaun, and sit upon an old toad stool - 1972, Long Haired Lover From LIverpool, Jimmy Osmond

11. Does your granny always tell you that the old songs are the best? - 1973, Merry Christmas Everybody, Slade

12. It’ll be so cold, so cold, without you to hold - 1974, Lonely This Christmas, Mudd

13. So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye - 1975, Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen

14. A ray of hope flickers in the sky - 1976, When A Child Is Born, Johnny Mathis

15. Far have I travelled and much have I seen

Dark distant mountains and valleys of green - 1977, Mull of Kintyre, Wings

16. Hark now hear the angels sing, a king was born today - 1978, Mary's Boy Child, Boney M

17. No dark sarcasm in the classroom - 1979, Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd

18. I picked you out, I shook you up, and turned you around - 1981, Don't You Want Me, Human League

19. A serenade I long to sing you

The reddest rose I'll always bring you - 1982, Save Your Love, Renee and Renato

20. Came back only yesterday, I’m moving further away, - 1983, Only You, The Flying Pickets

21. Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears - 1984, Do They Know It's Christmas?, Band Aid

22. Room is swaying, records playing the old songs, we love to hear - 1985, Merry Christmas Everyone, Shakin' Stevens

23. Well, have you ever seen a girl for whom your soul you’d give - 1986, Reet Petite, Jackie Wilson

24. Give me one more chance to keep you satisfied - 1987, Always On My Mind, Pet Shop Boys

25. A time for living, a time for believing, and time for trusting - 1988, Mistletoe and Wine, Cliff Richard

26. Well, tonight thank God it’s them instead of you - 1989, Do They Know It's Christmas?, Band Aid 2

27. Don’t look back or turn away

Life can be yours if you’ll only stay - 1990, Saviour's Day, Cliff Richard

28. I'd like to go back one time on a roller coaster ride

When life was just a game - 1991, These Are The Days Of Our Lives, Queen

29. Bittersweet memories, that is all I’m taking with me - 1992, I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston

30. Oh, don’t leave me alone like this, don’t say it’s the final kiss - 1994, Stay Another Day, East 17

31. What have we done to the world? Look what we’ve done - 1995, Earth Song, Michael Jackson

32. Any deal that we endeavour, Boys and girls feel good together - 1996, 2 Become 1, Spice Girls

33. Unwrap yourself from around my finger, Hold me to tight or left to linger. - 1997, Too Much, Spice Girls

34. Look for a rainbow in every storm, Fly like an angel heaven sent to

me. - 1998, Goodbye, Spice Girls

35. Scoop, Muck and Dizzy, Roley too, Lofty and Wendy join the crew - 2000, Can We Fix It? Bob The Builder

36. Then afterwards we drop into a quiet little place and have a drink or two - 2001, Something Stupid, Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman

37. Waters runnin’ in the wrong direction, got a feeling it’s a mixed up sign - 2002, Sound of the Underground, Girls Aloud

38. I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had - 2003, Mad World, Gary Jules

39. At Christmas time we let in light and we banish shade - 2004, Do They Know It's Christmas? Band Aid 20

40. I’m not here to say I’m sorry, I’m not here to lie to you - 2005, That's My Goal, Shane Ward

41. The speed of waiting love of all.

I wanna know that you will catch me when I fall. - 2006, A Moment Like This, Leona Lewis

Why 41?

I went back to 1960 and did up to date - taking out the songs that didn't seem suitable. Mr Blobby anyone? I wanted to cover as much time as would cover our subscribers' ages - so everyone would have a chance.

An excellent quiz, Hazel, though I think you know this isn't what you'd call my forte!

Helping me get in the Christmassy mood even more - if only we could drape some tinsel round the top and scatter some glitter down the page! ;)

Great quiz Hazel. Pity I don't know the answers..............

Have a go anyway - I don't expect anyone to hand in 41/41! Plus the songs might just pop into your head.

Great quiz, Hazel! Predictably, I sailed through it up until the mid-80s, and then the wheels fell off. This is in my sailing ship that has wheels on it.

Have a go anyway - I don't expect anyone to hand in 41/41! Plus the songs might just pop into your head.

Unfortunately a couple of them did especially 19 which i recognized and now can't shift. :confused:

Unfortunately a couple of them did especially 19 which i recognized and now can't shift. :confused:

That is a downside of the quiz - not being able to get the toons back out of your head and be able to move on to the next one! Still worse things to have in your head this month!

Great quiz, Hazel! Predictably, I sailed through it up until the mid-80s, and then the wheels fell off. This is in my sailing ship that has wheels on it.

My wheels fell of circa 1982. I've never been good at remembering lyrics!

Nice one Hazel - my kind of quiz. Although it's a very annoying type of quiz - some of the lines go round and roound my head but I just can't move on to the chorus!

Maybe we should team up, Bill. I only got about 2 before question 30, and then I recognised nearly all of them...

Well, for what it's worth I've sent my laughable entry though was surprised that I was able to get quite a few. Good fun for the early evening! Thanks, Hazel. :)

Wow, finally a quiz that I know something about - I usually have to pass when Hazel and David ask each other film questions. ;)

First I thought, how do I know which version you want (or was a Christmas number one) but after a few songs I knew the way. The first ones were plain sailing - as with other more "mature" members, but I had a little help from my sons for the last ones.

I wish everyone a lot of success.

Well, I've submitted my entry for what it's worth!

There is one on my list that I recognised (I think :rolleyes: ), but didn't think it had been a Christmas hit, and a couple that I expected to see, but weren't there - St. Winifred's? Benny Hill?

On the whole, I'd have done much better if they'd started and finished about 10 years earlier ;)