Oscar and Lucinda -The end.

I have just read the last 20 chapters in one sitting. Suddenly, with the engagement of the terrifying Mr Jeffris the story starts to gallop towards it's inevitable conclusion.
From that fateful mouthful of Christmas pudding Oscar has made one bad choice after another, and even as we hope for a happy ending with Lucinda, we fear that some disaster will befall them.

Did you see it coming? From the moment Miriam Chadwick entered the story I was in a torment, half expecting her to marry Oscar, but desperate that Lucinda should have him

As I finished it my eyes filled again, as they have done at several points in the story, I was just so sad- for so many of he characters; Oscar, his father, the Strattons, Wardley-Fish, and Lucinda.
I will be thinking about them for some time to come.

...... I was just so sad- for so many of he characters; Oscar, his father, the Strattons, Wardley-Fish, and Lucinda.

I will be thinking about them for some time to come.

I felt like that too. I was glad to have re-read this novel after a gap of quite a few years and was more in tune with it this time. I get the feeling that not many here read this particular BGO choice.

• 6 years later...

I have come to this conversation seven years late and right at the end! I was absorbed by Oscar and Lucinda from the beginning, not knowing whether or not they would come togethert, but lulled into that belief by the hints of the narrator. Wonderful writing, it’s a book I think would certainly make an excellent re-read. Having come to the end there are parts that stay in the mind, particularly Oscar’s relationship with his father and his time in Oxford where his gambling vice took hold. And that Mrs Chadwick did make my heart quake! A novel that takes a little time to explore but by no means a conventional love story.