• Similar Content

• By Momo
      Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoi - 1877
      Last summer, I read this novel for the book club. Just couldn't put it down. I had started it early since it's a long book but finished it before our next book. It's a wonderful story. I didn't like Anna or her lover much (especially him) but liked the other couple that was described. The writing is so wonderful, you think those people are real.
      I also watched one of the mini series that was filmed a couple of years ago and had the same impression. Everyone in our book club, with one exception, I believe, loved it, as well. I liked it so much, I will definitely read more of Tolstoi. Any suggestions?
      (thread first started 13.02.06)
    • By Adrian
      How do you people read this stuff? I found this quite a chore to read, not helped in the slightest by what felt like a translation by machine (actually David McDuff for Penguin Classics). I liked the story within a story, and especially setting it all on a train, but the writing style I felt was quite jarring

It reads like I'm being lectured at by a divorced, drunken Russian philosophy student in a dodgy bar in Omsk. And it's barely a hundred pages long. I'll think I'll stick to Dostoevsky.
    • By Nuggie
      Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get The Death of Ivan Ilyich for a friend for Christmas but I'm specifically looking for a Russian copy

I'm been scouring the internet trying to find said copy but to no avail. Does any body know where I might be able to find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks