Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Anime / Manga - where to start?

I love the graphic novels I read but I am really struggling with anime and especially manga. The library has lots -- Old Boy is the only one I can remember -- but they do have lots of books that start "Stop! This is the end of the book!" and those are the graphic novels I am interested in, the ones that to us "round eyes" start at the back and read right to left.

I think that explains something I have experienced on the very rare occasions I have glanced at

a 'comic'.

I've never particularly noticed a right to left layout, just that the pictures 'don't seem to be in order'.

I have done a quick shuffle in my head of the pictures, and any text, to figure out which order they

should go in, and 'read' them that way.

I honestly thought they were just random, or maybe in size order, or order of importance to the plot :o

Obviously I don't 'read' anime/manga/comics often enough to be bothered by it. :rolleyes:

Guest Lalaine

Hello, I'm new here. I love manga. Actually I am reading one now and I already got the hang of reading from right to left. Reading manga is surely a lot of fun. :)

Welcome to BGO, Lalaine. You'll find that several of our members share your enjoyment of Manga. Do come and say 'hello' in the Please Introduce Yourself thread in Central Library, and tell us more about your reading tastes. We can welcome you properly there, and can answer any questions you might have about this site.

As an avid comic reader in the past, I have been tempted to try Manga but never got around to it. I guess I needed advice and couldn't find any and there were/are too much great American comics out there.

I am told by those who know that the backwards reading is not a problem at all.

I've never particularly noticed a right to left layout, just that the pictures 'don't seem to be in order'... I honestly thought they were just random, or maybe in size order, or order of importance to the plot.
There is an accepted format for comics pages which is generally left to right and top to bottom. But for dramatic purposes there are exceptions but these are (usually) obvious. The writer usually tells the artist what the pictures should show, and how the frames are to be arranged and where the words will go but then leaves it to the artist to decide the rest.

I used to be an avid anime/manga lover, but I am so over it now, sad anime/manga makes me so depressed that the only way to make me happy is to watch freaky television shows. It works!

Anime is like animated characters and manga is comic book style of retelling the story/plot. I really hate that some anime and manga have changed the information slightly which changes the whole story altogether.

There's manga in pretty much every genre so I'd recommend just starting with something where the story blurb appeals to you. I deal in kids fiction though so not sure which titles to suggest. Reading back to front takes a bit of practice but I am told after a while it comes naturally!

In Asian language, the reading direction may be different from the way English is written. In Chinese, it is from right to left or top to bottom. I think Japanese is similar.

I know very little about Manga and Anime, but ever so often have pupils who are absolutely devoted fans, so have tried to do my homework and use this.

The boy who introduced me to Manga, about eight years ago, was very intelligent and had aspergers. He was brilliant at all formal work but would attempt nothing creative. Sharing his stories with me was a sort of break-through and he began to write his own stories in the genre.

I've also used the Manga Shakespeare with a girl, again very intelligent, who had switched off from anything to do with school, but was obsessed with Anime. It didn't win her over completely, but it did take her forward. I read that the style isn't totally Japanese and my pupil was disappointed that the books read left to right, but the graphic art certainly matched the drama of 'Macbeth' and 'Romeo and Juliet' and I enjoyed them too.

One of my current students has tried, a couple of times, to get one over by referring to named types of Manga (or they could be titles). So far his tone and body language has alerted me and I have called his bluff by calmly saying that I didn't think that was appropriate in class, as if I knew what he was referring to. It worked. Of course I suspect that he means the erotic branches of Manga, but don't know for sure. Are there any names generally used for this?

i have only read four manga books.Uzumaki 1 2 & 3 by Junji Ito i found them to be strange but absolutely amazing,i just love the art work only the japanese can achieve .I then went on to read Dark Water which was weird because i had to read it back to front.I have also seen both film versions,i find the japanese are great at making films that are full of fear and dread. :quiver:

I’m a fan of The Promised Neverland by Kaiu Shirai (author) and Posuka Demizu (illustrator). I’ve now read the first 5 volumes, and I love them. Both plot and the artwork are so good,;the plot is similar to Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go.