Sign in to follow this  
k8e

The Night Watch - Trilogy

Hi

Has anyone read any of these? Night Watch is the first, then Day Watch, Twighlight Watch and I believe there is another in the pipeline. I saw the first one in a book shop recently and have managed to get the other two on Amazon, although Day Watch was quite tricky to find. Heres the blurb:

'Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of it's population, are the Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each Other owes allegiance either to the Dark or the Light.

The Night Watch, first book in the Night Watch Trilogy, follows Anton, a young Other owing allegiance to the Light. As a Night Watch agent he must patrol the streets and metro of the city protecting ordinary people from the vampires and magicians of the Dark. When he comes across Svetlana, a young woman under a powerful curse, and saves an unfledged Other, Egor from vampires, he becomes involved in events that threaten the uneasy truce and the whole city'

It took me a while to get into the first book but once I did it was really good. There is a lot more to it than it would first appear. I think they made a film of it but it is apparently nothing like as good as the book.

kate

I've seen the film of Nightwatch, which is good fun. Wasn't aware that it was based on a novel, I'll look out for it, because my TBR pile isn't already threatening to takeover the lounge :D .

It takes a bit of getting into but it's worth it. There are three stories in each book and each one builds on the last.. I'm hooked.

Kate

I watched the first film and thought it was brilliant so I brought the first book and i have to admit it was quite incredible. My tagline on my myspace is even a quote from the book heehee

I loved the storyand the characters, and I was strangly drawn to it for the simple fact it was set in Russia oh well me and my scandinavian mind eh? haha

loved the film...loved the book

Have yet to move onto the second one!:D

Read Night Watch and Day Watch in quick succession, Twilight Watch is waiting in the wings.

It's great to read gritty urban fantasy, it's not all swords and sandanls in the fantasy genre these days.

The trilogy has got no favours from an over zealous marketing man allowing someone to put the line "a russian J.K. Rowling." HA

This is a little more grown up and dark, it also gets very philosophical about the difference between good and evil and just how much they overlap.

The characters are interesting and mostly likable, The stories are writing in a revelatory style, so you feel like there is a lot more going on than you're being told.

I like how the viewpoint is switched between the first two books as well. The first is told from the "Light" side and the second is told from the "Dark" side. I think it's fun to see which you enjoy more, it says a bit about your character!

Enjoying it but be warned if you are a real pedant you might not enjoy the translation. These things don't bother me or spoil my enjoyment but I know it does for some.

Just a side note, the setting of Moscow seems perfect for these stories, the place is described in such a great way, if I ever go there, I'm almost sure I would be looking for signs of magical power!