Sign in to follow this  
Aixelsyd

Books/Stories They Make you Read at School

Oh, as an English teacher, I hate it when that happens!

It brings sharply into focus the fact that the pace of learning isn't always right. I have to stop myself being annoyed at the fast reader!

I couldn't do it - I'd find the other reading too distracting.

I have a few fast readers in my year 8 class who can be mile ahead of the rest of us, its a shame as they are the people I was really hoping to enagae with Chinese Cinderella as I thought it would stretch them.

For english lit we had to read 'To kill a mocking bird' by harper lee. It was intersting to see diffrent peoples reactions to haveing to read, i now some people who never read the book. I watched the film before reading the book, and it wouldnt have been a book i would have picked up on my own, but i was very amazed and can be honest and say that i loved it, and i think i loved it more beucase we went indepth into it and understand things said in the book in a larger context.

I loved everything we studied at school. And like nearly all of what I study now.

At school I was blessed with some very good English teachers. Being a natural bookworm helped too though.

I didn't like reading "Plague 99" by jean ure though-because it really gave me the creeps.

I had to read To Kill A Mockingbird with I very much enjoyed...except when our teacher made us read as a class I got into an embarressing situation!

Miss:- "Carry on Danielle"

Me :- "Erm...pardon Miss?"

Miss:- "Carry on reading the paragraph."

Me:- "What page Miss?"

Miss:- "The class are on page 42 Danielle."

Me:- "Okay..." *turns to page 42 from page 58*

Me:- " What paragraph???"

you can guess the rest heehee :o

though I do remember reading a book from the Yr 5 book case when I was in Yr 3....I got very bored as a young child heehee

Ahh..the joys of stories :rolleyes:

Oh that sounds like me. I used to get physically angry (used to-I am much more mature now lol.) listening to people read at snail pace-why did they make us read out loud? It's so unfair to weaker readers and frustrating for strong readers alike.

why did they make us read out loud?

I can see the frustration, but reading aloud allows the class to experience the text together, and lets the teacher stop and ask questions, which are just so important.

I'm an English teacher, and I prefer teaching a short text, which you can read with the class, than a longer one which you need to let the kids read at their own pace, because of the shared experience.

I don't mind if the keen readers read on at home, as long as they don't spoil the end for those kids who enjoy sharing the text. I always tell them they'll get a lot out of reading it again in class if they have read on.

Had to do Of Mice & Men for GCSE which I really disliked. at least it was short though! In the summer between Year 10 & 11, we had a reading list, from which our coursework/exam books would be based. I read To Kill a Mockingbird & absolutely loved it, but the other English class ended up studying it, which I'm glad about now, as analysing books kills them for me!

Macbeth was my first ever Shakespeare (I joined the school in Year 10, after having been in the French/international system, where you do not study Shakespeare, but awful stuff like plays by Molière & Corneille and all the really dull French classics), which was pretty challenging, but I did quite enjoy it.

A-Level involved Translations by Brian Friel, which I thought was excellent. We did The Tempest too, and we put on a performance of it too-I ended up doing makeup for it, so got to watch it & it really made it clear to me that plays have to be seen to be understood, especially Shakespeare's! Captain Corelli's Mandolin, which I'd read for pleasure over the Summer I finished my GCSE's & loved which got left to be studied til the last minute & it was so painful to pick apart a book I'd previously loved-I couldn't even look at it for several years afterwards!

A-Levels were also my first experience of Austen and we studied Mansfield Park... I mean, out of all the interesting, witty & lively Austen heroines there are to choose from, who in their right minds would choose Fanny Price who is absolutely pathetic, IMHO. I despised the book & ended up buying the York notes for it instead of slowly dying of boredom! No, I didn't get a passing grade in my exam what did you expect? It took me many years to get over my Austen phobia!

I've never been good at analysing books, but I do adore reading anything & everything I get my hands on... I totally relate to everyone who raced through their reading schemes at school, as I used to do the same, when I was at an International school. I also used to have to beg to be allowed to take out more than the allocated number of library books! :D

A-Levels were also my first experience of Austen and we studied Mansfield Park... I mean, out of all the interesting, witty & lively Austen heroines there are to choose from, who in their right minds would choose Fanny Price who is absolutely pathetic, IMHO.

I agree. I re-read Austen all the time, but I can't get through MP.

I found that my enjoyment of books at school all came down to the English teachers ability to reach out to the class and make it relevant. The one English teacher I had and liked was in year nine and the books that I read in that year have stayed dear to me- Macbeth, To Kill A Mockingbird and Animal Farm. Whereas the books I read with less engaging teachers have haunted em ever since-An Inspector Calls, A Streetcar names Desire and so many more that I cant even remember studying them at all.

I don't remember many of the books I had to read for school (which speaks volumes!)

I had a fantastic English teacher in year 9 too (not the same school as bella!), we studied Animal Farm and I loved every minute of it.

Unfortunately, in my GCSE years I had a teacher I couldn't stand, and who managed to remove any joy from the process of reading. I know we did Silas Marner, Romeo and Juliet and the Prologue to the Caterbury Tales :grumble: , but that's about it. Glad I didn't read To Kill a Mockingbird with him, it would have tainted one of my favourite books!