Books/Stories They Make you Read at School

Old Man And the Sea, The Birds, Where the Red Furn Grows, Catcher in the Rye, do you love them?

Just because they say that these books are "Clasics" does that mean that everyone has to love them? Were there any books that you were forced to read as a child that you didn't like?

Complain here!

I feel that in school whey they make everyone read the same book they usually say, "this is what the book is about, these are the important characters, and this is what the book means" and I feel this is wrong. Everyone gets something different out of a book, and if you teach it in school, it just standardizes the way people look at books.

And there was also the fact that in school they made you feel like there is a wrong way to interpret a book, which there isn't. That's the beauty of books, four people can read a book and get something different out of it. The plot will be the same, and the characters, but everyone has to create these characters in their mind so they all come out different.

Some of my favourite books are those which I studied at school, this is because I had a wonderful English teacher who helped me in my understanding of the text thereby enabling me to make my own interpretations, this is vastly different than just telling a class what they should think.

I got out of having to read "The Grapes of Wrath" this year in High School by taking English at the local community college. So instead I got to read "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben, which I own and had already read. Everyone in the class had to read a different book and do a 6 page review on it and then we had class discussions.

It's mostly the plays I've done in literature that I hate. Brian Friel is the bane of my life.

But anyhoo. I hated The Color Purple when we did it in school.

i quite like brian friel, why do you hate him so much? i especially liked translations.

i had to read a book called Moonfleet at school. it was pretty rubbish.

i quite like brian friel, why do you hate him so much? i especially liked translations.

I thought his plays wasted good ideas and ran out of steam by the end. His attempts at comedy were awful, especially in Philadelphia Here I Come. And I thought some of the characters in his plays could be very two dimensional, for example Lancey in Translations.

I also spent two years in drama performing scenes from Philadephia about every week which probably drove me to hate all his plays. ;)

I had to read Underground to Canada when I was in first year at school which was quite good - it's about 2 young black slaves escaping to Canada. But I remember I got in trouble once when we had to write an 'additional chapter' for it because the main character, Julilly, spoke in a classic black american way (ie 'I ain't got no bread' or something like that), and in my chapter when Julilly was speaking I wrote her speech like that as well, and my teacher actually scolded me for bad use of grammar and scribbled in red pen all over it?! I thought it would have been perfectly obvious what I was doing since the rest of my story was in perfect English...?! :mad:

Stupid teachers, eh?! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I preferred Macbeth I must say. And it's not about a boring Scottish bloke who goes mad. It's about fear and paranoia, the destructive power of ambition, revenge, loyalty, and even kingship to name but a few of the themes. It's completely tragic how the thirst for power drove these good people to madness. A Midsummer Night's Dream has some beautiful language and imagery but the story is less interesting and a bit messy in my opinion.

MacBeth is much worse than a midsummer nights dream! At least it's all fairyfied and fantasy land, MacBeth is about a boring Scottish bloke who goes mad, and has a crazy wife.

I'm sorry Sara, but I'd have to say I agree with LittleBritain....Macbeth is ok, if you're into all the deep meanings etc but IMHO A Midsummer Night's Dream is much easier, lighter play to get...

I quite enjoyed MacBeth when I was at school :o

The other books I remember reading were William Goldings Lord of the Flies, John Windhams Day of The Triffids, and ST Coleridges Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner. I know the last is not a book, but it's almost long enough to count as such!

It doesn't always, I just find a play easier to enjoy if I don't have to work hard to understand it. Especially if I'm already working hard to understand what they're saying.

That could be why I prefer Macbeth. I've been studying Shakespeare for so long that I can understand the language straightaway and I don't have to work hard when reading the plays, so I focus on the story more.

There was a great quote from Blackadder on TV last night: "You'd laugh at a Shakespeare comedy Baldrick". Made me think of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I had to read To Kill A Mockingbird with I very much enjoyed...except when our teacher made us read as a class I got into an embarressing situation!

Miss:- "Carry on Danielle"

Me :- "Erm...pardon Miss?"

Miss:- "Carry on reading the paragraph."

Me:- "What page Miss?"

Miss:- "The class are on page 42 Danielle."

Me:- "Okay..." *turns to page 42 from page 58*

Me:- " What paragraph???"

you can guess the rest heehee :o

though I do remember reading a book from the Yr 5 book case when I was in Yr 3....I got very bored as a young child heehee

Ahh..the joys of stories :rolleyes: