I feel sure we had a thread on this, but it may have been pre-Crash. In fact, I thought it was Opal who started it. Anyway, it's at least 20 years since I read my last Dr Who novel (The Web Planet, as it happens). A few days ago the Book People visited our offices, and I bought a ten-volume set of recent books for a tenner.

The first of these is called The Clockwise Man - not a story that was filmed - which is based on the Eccleston incarnation, along with Rose. I have to say, it's surprisingly good. The little foibles of the doctor, his way of dealing with people, situations and Rose - it's all so vivid. made easy, of course, because you know exactly how those lines would be spoken, and exactly how each little glance would look. In particular, though, I think the fact that the story is given time to grow, instead of being crammed into a 45 minute slot, means that there is a whole new depth to the doctor that you don't get from the TV series.

Excellent stuff.

I feel sure we had a thread on this, but it may have been pre-Crash. In fact, I thought it was Opal who started it.

I'm sure you're right, MFJ, and I certainly remember posting about Doctor Who novels. I've had a look in the cache but there's nothing to be found - probably too far in the past.

Anyway, I lapped up tons of Doctor Who novels when I was a kid. My most formative years were spent with Tom Baker's incarnation and I used to enjoy the novelisations of televised stories with the previous Doctors. I didn't read many Hartnell stories, but thoroughly enjoyed Troughton and Pertwee tales. I still vividly remember feeling terrified by the yetis on the underground - Web of Fear: was that the story?

I haven't read any of the more recent novels and so nothing that's been written as a new tale, outside of the series. However, a friend's just lent me a novel written about the Sylvester McCoy incarnation written by Russell T. Davies, which he tracked down on e-bay from Canada! So that should be interesting.

I recently downloaded "The Art of Destruction" written by Stephen Cole, read by Don Warrington for my children to listen to. You have just reminded me to burn it...

This book features The Tardis lands in 22nd century Africa in the shadow of a dormant volcano. Agri-teams are growing new foodstuffs in the baking soil to help feed the world's starving millions - but the Doctor and Rose have detected an alien signal somewhere close by. When a nightmare force starts surging along the dark volcanic tunnels, the Doctor realises an ancient trap has been sprung. But who was it meant for? And what is the secret of the eerie statues that stand at the heart of the volcano? Dragged into a centuries-old conflict, Rose and the Doctor are soon elevating survival to an art form - as ancient, alien hands practice arts of destruction all around them ...It features the Doctor and Rose as played by David Tennant and Billie Piper in the hit series from BBC Television. Abridged reading, this book is written by Stephen Cole. It has a read by Don Warrington. It includes a fascinating 'behind the scenes' discussion between author and reader.

I used to read these all the time in primary school, think I must have borrowed every single one they had at Chalfont St. Peter library. Aside from the handful of Hugh Waters books that were in the school library (borrowed all of those by the time I was nine), the Dr Who novels were my earliest sci-fi reading matter.

Not read any since I left school though.

I did start a thread on this but I think at that point I was the only person who'd read any of the new ones. They are great though, I have all of the new series adevntures (the list can be found here - I have a hard time of it and I'm a super-geeky-fan!!!). I've just bought the latest three (featuring the yummy Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones) and they are probably the only books I'll read til half term with my workload at the moment.

I don't think I can pick a favourite but I LOVE The Stone Rose and The Stealers of Dreams, both brilliantly written and true to the TV series.

I feel sure we had a thread on this, but it may have been pre-Crash. In fact, I thought it was Opal who started it. Anyway, it's at least 20 years since I read my last Dr Who novel (The Web Planet, as it happens). A few days ago the Book People visited our offices, and I bought a ten-volume set of recent books for a tenner.

The first of these is called The Clockwise Man - not a story that was filmed - which is based on the Eccleston incarnation, along with Rose. I have to say, it's surprisingly good. The little foibles of the doctor, his way of dealing with people, situations and Rose - it's all so vivid. made easy, of course, because you know exactly how those lines would be spoken, and exactly how each little glance would look. In particular, though, I think the fact that the story is given time to grow, instead of being crammed into a 45 minute slot, means that there is a whole new depth to the doctor that you don't get from the TV series.

Excellent stuff.

Planning to read more of them? If only I hadn't already sorted your birthday present... :rolleyes:

For those of you interested in Doctor Who audio books Big Finish, who produce shedloads of them on CD, have just launched a new download service.

You can see what they have to offer here.

They seem a bit pricey to me, but I haven't downloaded any audio books so have no idea what the going rates are.

I'm getting into these! Handy I can slightly count it as 'work' too!

I've read a few of the novels and listened to some audiobooks from the new series (plural). So far I've either read or listened to The Stone Rose, Wetworld, The Last Dodo, The Feast of the Drowned, The Resurrection Casket... probably some other ones too, also some of the 'decide your destiny' type of books. The 'Decide your destiny' ones aren't all that exciting and the novels are very light reading so I'm not sure who the 'decide your destiny' series is for. Its one of those funny children/adult crossover areas just like the TV series where the novels are fine for kids to read, fine for adults too, and the 'decide your destiny' ones aren't and aren't marketed as such so I am being unfairly disappointed!! Having read some of the novels anyway I'm going to be recommending them left right and centre, surely a great way to get younger fans hooked on reading, if they aren't already?

I might well look at some of the older ones now too...addictive!