• Similar Content

• By Cathy
      This is really a response to a query on the 'Introduce yourself board, from Megustaleer

Apparently , according to the postcolonialists Jane Eyre is all about anxiety over the loss of empire and the "degeneration" thought at the time to be caused by mixing with other races. There is a passage somewhere which suggests the woman in the attic is mixed race, and the whole thing with her being in the attic is sort of trying to repress the colonial thing. At least that's how I remember it from university.

But as I say on the other board, I don't believe this interpretation at all, and it really nearly spoiled Jane Eyre for me. I mean, Jane Eyre is an amazing Romance with a capital R, and as you may be able to tell from my username this is right up my street!

Thankfully, I am now coming to terms with the trauma and have been able to enjoy Jane Eyre again recently! Although I really, really wish I hadn't annotated my text (all be it very sarcastically) at uni.
    • By Cathy
      I'm 1/3 of the way through Vilette and really struggling to stay interested! Please tell me something is going to happen! (no spoilers please!) This novel (so far) seems to have no structure, and no reason for turning the page. Plus what is her problem with Catholics? Its like some in-joke for 19th century protestants and I just don't get it. Will reading it as 'trust the tale not the teller' make it better? How does that work exactly?

I'm so disappointed, Wuthering Heights is one of my favourites but this is just not doing it for me.
    • By megustaleer
      Nearly missed this one!
      Radio4 (again) The Woman's Hour Serial.

Started today, The Professor, by Charlotte Bronte, in 10 parts. Weekdays 10.45am, repeated the same day at 7.45pm

And on 'Listen Again', thank goodness.