BGO Bookmarks

Krey20

This is my first crack at designing some free, eventually, downloadable bookmarks that we can use to promote BGO.

BGOBM1.jpg

This fist one is a standard design in line with the website itself.

BGOBM2.jpg

This one is a black and white version, which might be more printer friendly.

BGOBM3.jpg

A plain text slip that can be inserted into books for people to discover through bookcrossing, postal book groups, when you sell a book over amazon. Use you imagination!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BGOBM4.jpg

A fun one that I liked.

BGOBM5.jpg

And lastly my interactive bookmark.

I thought it might be fun to make this interactive if people are willing. We can make a new bookmark available every three months or so, people can submit artwork and then we can vote for the next BGO bookmark. It might be fun?

Please give me some feedback. Any criticism is welcome. These are first attempts and thus open to amendments.

As far as hosting the eventual downloadable files (probably pdf format). I'm rejigging my graphic design portfolio site and wouldn't mind hosting it there, subject to discovering how to set it up. This isn't as altruistic as it sounds, as a bit of extra foot traffic through my design portfolio is always welcome. ;)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

That's great work, Krey - I love them! I especially like the book-on-pause one: give people a laugh and they'll take an interest.

The first is the most visually striking, but I expect you're right about printers.

Thanks for the effort you've put in!

Forgot to mention.

The final trim size is 195mm x 45mm. And the eventual pdf file will be a sheet of 6 (all the same variation).

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep them comming. If you think they can be improved, don't be shy, let me know.

Suggestions for alternative wording would be welcome too.

These are really great Krey20 - my favourite and definitely the one I would opt to print and include in my GM books is the 3rd in your first post. It's visually striking and links the best the book to the purchaser. The monochrome is visually striking.

Thumbs up from me too, Krey, especially for 3 and 4 - I love the idea of a book being in pause.

Unfortunately, I was born with the tragic handicap of no artistic talent whatsoever, so I can't help you with the last one.

That's great work, Krey - I love them! I especially like the book-on-pause one: give people a laugh and they'll take an interest.

The first is the most visually striking, but I expect you're right about printers.

Thanks for the effort you've put in!

I agree- get the colours from the first and combine with the message of five and you have a winner!

I like them Krey20. As mentioned, the first one is truest to the site, but is that important in a bookmark when the viewer has not seen the site? It is true to the BGO "brand" though and is my favourite.

Donning my Devil's Advocate frock-coat and wig:

Would they have the black border with the bit of white around it, or be cropped where the black line is? I find the border disturbing (especially in the first) and I don't think it adds anything.

Turning them "right way up" highlights the thinness of the BGO "O"

bgobm1yj0.jpg

something I know you inherited from the site's images but it doesn't match the font of the B and the G and look "weak" in some undefinable way.

And this may make me sound like Stephen Fry (though that's no bad thing) but do we need so many exclamation marks?

Sorry I don't want to sound in any way negative. I like them all (though I would lose the B&W one - people can opt to print in B&W if they want to, and it's a little old fashioned. People (well, me) will judge a B&W bookmark as amateurish). The Book on Pause one is especially creative, and that's definitely a keeper.

Excellent work K20. My vote goes for No.3 and No.4. Both are informative but No.4 is fun and I think will appeal to the young and young-at-heart. I'm afraid I probably could not do anything with No.5 as my computing skills are so limited. I am hoping these bookmarks come with very precise instructions for that reason, otherwise I will be lost. :confused:

Adrian you have some very good constructive comments there. I too cannot see the necessity for the exclamation marks. As for the border: I have looked through my collection of bookmarks of all descriptions and not one of them has a border. However, would it not be clever for us to have one, just to be different? I think it makes it very neat - but maybe I'm showing my fobia there!

Thanks again K20 for such a very worthwhile contribution. And I like the idea of us all trawling through your design portfolio site - I think that's the least we could all do.

As for the border: I have looked through my collection of bookmarks of all descriptions and not one of them has a border. However, would it not be clever for us to have one, just to be different?

BGO itself has a border, I don't have a problem with it, and think it tidies the bookmark. However, on the colour copies, it could be done in blue, rather than black?

though I would lose the B&W one - people can opt to print in B&W if they want to

I think it's important to acknowledge that some people do only have access to black and white printers (even in this day and age!), and the printing quality is generally better from a b&w copy. Many people won't know the difference between print in grayscale, pure b&w and the other options that are often given.

And this may make me sound like Stephen Fry (though that's no bad thing) but do we need so many exclamation marks?

As an over-user of the exclamation mark, I don't think they seem excessive on the bookmarks - there is only on per mark. I think it makes us look fun!!! :P

One thing I would suggest is having them so that they can be printed double sided - 1 and 2 would both work well as one side, with 3, 4 or 5 on the other.

But finally, I think they're fab, Krey - I can't wait to see the final copies and send them around the world - bookcrossing, library books, GM sales, gifts...I can see me wasting a lot of paper on them!

But finally, I think they're fab, Krey - I can't wait to see the final copies and send them around the world - bookcrossing, library books, GM sales, gifts...I can see me wasting a lot of paper on them!

Same here! I have my supply of card ready and loaded...

Thanks for all of the comments.

The boarder is for definition only. I wasn't sure how the images would display. So the bookmarks end at and before the black line. Having said this that depends on how each user trims their printed page of six.

The B/W design would have to be a necessary option because when the full colour one is printed in grayscale it loses it's punch. The blue turns into a mid grey, whereas the B/W version is all set up to full strength black.

PS - I didn't realise I got so "exclamation-mark-happy," looking through them again I take your points.

I hope to try and set something up properly next week, but I'd like a final say-so from Bill before I plough on.

Cheers for the feedback, all comments are very helpful.

Also I am happy to do the computer bit if any of you have any artwork to submit to be made into a bookmark proposal. But we can worry about that idea once things get rolling...

Fantastic work Krey20. Well done and thank you.

I love it all

- the idea to do this in the first place

- including this as another item in your portfolio

- making it available for us all to use and thereby costing Book Group Online nothing

- the designs and the space for our doodles.

I like 1(blue) and 3(pause) best, but totally understand about people wanting or needing to print in greyscale (grayscale?). I look forward to having a go with no.5 - I wish there was a way that it could be done without being competitive so that people are not afraid to try (I generally think that all artistic effort should be encouraged), but it is perhaps the best way to maintain a standard. I actually like the O less bold than the BG; it's consistent with the site title and also more interesting that way.

I copied the bookmarks from BGO just now (before your last reply) - just to see how they printed (I hope that was not out of line - you being a professional and all that). They printed really well in colour or greyscale - and had no border. It occurred to me that maybe when you have decided on your designs and got the go-ahead from Bill that you could just leave the final designs on BGO for us to use. If you left a selection, members could copy and paste whichever they wished.

It's just a thought. I don't know enough to know whether or not this is out of line - it may benefit your portfolio to know how many times a pdf is downloaded or it maybe that you need to copywrite your work (I shall destroy my printing after this - shredding is easier that eating).

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm back after having been away for the good part of three days.

First of all, krey, thank you so much for all the time, effort and creativity you've put into these bookmarks. I'd like to echo the comments of those who have given you feedback to say how impressed I am and how much I appreciate this.

I would find it hard to say which ones I like best. I certainly couldn't suggest any improvements, as I am illiterate when it comes to design. I can judge words though, and I am happy with all the wording, and even the exclamation marks! I was wondering whether 'Visit the friendliest forum on the web' should be 'The friendliest book forum on the web', but then I thought, well, why restrict it to book forums? We ARE the friendliest forum on the web - as far as I know, anyway.

So is there any reason, if you are going to host them on your portfolio site, why we can't have all of them on there, and pick and choose which ones to download and print? A little bit of variety would be good and, as others have pointed out, they suit different situations.

I was thinking how good it could be if we could print out both sides, eg put 1 and 3 together, pr 1 and 4 together, but I suppose it would be very difficult to align the paper in the printer properly.

So anyway, you have my go ahead - so please go ahead!

It's just a thought. I don't know enough to know whether or not this is out of line - it may benefit your portfolio to know how many times a pdf is downloaded or it maybe that you need to copywrite your work (I shall destroy my printing after this - shredding is easier that eating).

No worries. Copyright isn't really an issue here. If anyone might be in breach of it it's me for using the already existing identity of BGO! ;)

Strictly speaking I own the designs as "intellectual property" simply by the fact that I created them. Things only get a bit sticky if someone then used the designs for something different. The problem then would be for me to prove that I created the designs first.

Anyway, don't worry about copyrights etc. These bookmarks are just a free tool. Nobody's profiting from it (apart from BGO, hopefully), and they are going to be freely available, so the idea is that they are copied and used.

Also, when the time comes to put together the downloadable file I will make sure that the layout for each page is identical. This should mean, depending on each individuals printer,(and with a little thought put into how the page feeds iinto it) that the bookmarks will back up onto one another, making them double sided.

And of course I can put the final designs here too. But the print quality won't be as good as the downloadable files if they are simply copied and pasted.

I won't be keeping track of downlaods etc from my site, it's just a free bit of webspace I'm not using. To be fair, my freelance business is very small, I do it part-time, along with my day job, so this is just a way to get a BGO bookmark going, I've got no interest in extorting work from you all. Promise. :)

It's a good idea that the bookmarks are displayed, and can be copied from here too.

Just a thought, is it possible to host dowloads on a myspace/facebook page?

Anyway, I'll get stuck in tonight and see what happens. like I said, hopefully there will be something to download by the end of the week.

PS - Should there be some sort of reference to who left the bookmark to be found a la bookcrossing. A bit that says, "this invitation was left by...." It might be a nice introduction for a newbie to have a direct contact, instead of the whole process being anonymous. What do you think?

PS - Should there be some sort of reference to who left the bookmark to be found a la bookcrossing. A bit that says, "this invitation was left by...." It might be a nice introduction for a newbie to have a direct contact, instead of the whole process being anonymous. What do you think?

I quite like that idea, that the bookmarks I downloaded for my GM books, say 'an invitation from Hazel' - then hppefully they come on here and recognise who sent their book and invited them here. Makes it all a bit more friendly.

Hi Krey20,

Thanks for your replies. I've never owned a printer in my life and didn't realise a proper B&W one was a must.

Just a thought, is it possible to host dowloads on a myspace/facebook page?

I've not used them but putstuff

http://www.PutStuff.com/

is a free hosting site that could be used.

And are you planning on adding a little "Design by Krey20" or similar? Seems perfectly reasonable to me that your name should be on them.