Jack the Ripper

Coming originally from the East End I have read books about the murders but have forgotten the titles.

I believe Vic Reeves made a programme for Sky recently with his theory: I didn't catch it but on the radio he talked about his research which 'proved' it was (guess what - forgotten the name) a chap who made a getaway to the States. The murders stopped here but then some similar ones occurred in N.Y.

Trust me to forget the vital info!

I haven't read anything about Jack the Ripper, but didn't Patricia Cornwell have some kind of half-baked theory that she published? She seemed to think that, with the publication of her book, all theories about who Jack the Ripper was could now be put to rest.

I haven't read anything about Jack the Ripper, but didn't Patricia Cornwell have some kind of half-baked theory that she published? She seemed to think that, with the publication of her book, all theories about who Jack the Ripper was could now be put to rest.

She did. I haven't read the resultant book, but recall seeing a TV documentary associated with it. I think she claimed the Ripper was post-impressionist painter Walter Sickert.

I can't remember how she'd arrived at this conclusion; possibly it was something to do with the first syllable of his surname.

I read the Patricia Cornwell book and thought it was interesting, although that whole "I've solved this so now the case is closed" stuff was a bit annoying.

I thought she made a good case for proving that some of the Ripper letters were written by Sickert, but that doesn't mean he was the Ripper!

What books have you read Jeremy as I would like to read more on the subject?

That would be Francis Tumblety, he only came to light recently. Vic Reeves' show was quite interesting but it was over in less than an hour and was a touch 'lightweight'.

I've read the Patricia Cornwell book and found it fascinating, there is certainly good evidence to support here theory, but then there is for a lot of ripper theories.

This book is very thorough and is the only other one I have read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-History-Jack-Ripper/dp/1841193976/ref=sr_1_1/202-9383712-0492601?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185434626&sr=1-1

I'd welcome suggestions for other books on the subject. I'm curious about a book called Uncle Jack that is allegedly written by a family member regarding their ancestor Jack the Ripper, based on a book of the relative they found.

Personally my thoughts of heaven/when I day is that all these unaswered questions I have- Jack the Ripper, Ghosts, UFOs will be answered. I don't know when this idea formed but I think I've held the (probably ridiculous) belief that all my life's mysteries will be answered when I die.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd welcome suggestions for other books on the subject. I'm curious about a book called Uncle Jack that is allegedly written by a family member regarding their ancestor Jack the Ripper, based on a book of the relative they found.

Hi Jeremy DEagle

Uncovering Jack The Ripper's London by Richard Jones is a good read. Richard has written several books on the topic and has been seen lurking on the Discovery Channel from time to time. I've met him a few times through a mutual acquaintance and I've asked him to join BGO - he says he will on his return from holiday in September.

I live in the East End of London and recently had an American friend staying with me that wanted to do the Jack the Ripper tour. The tour leader pointed out that recently DNA was lifted from one of the victims clothers, but without anyone to compare it too, there is no way of finding who ever done it, although humanbeings like to have solutions, it seems this is one of those unsolveable crimes.

• 6 months later...
Anyone interested in Jack the Ripper on here? If so what books have you read? Who do you see as the most viable suspect?

Hi there,

I've just joined the group, and couldn't help but respond when I saw this thread. My own novel 'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' has recently been released in paperback and e-book. The book is available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Waterstones.com, Powells, Tesco Online etc, and being a fictional account, it approaches the Ripper crimes from a new angle. A video trailer of the book is available on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKKNPbzIF8 and you can see iton Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Study-Red-Secret-Journal-Ripper/dp/1554045274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202482660&sr=1-1

Here's a review just received.

CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

Book Review

Book Title: A STUDY IN RED (THE SECRET JOURNAL OF JACK THE RIPPER)

Author Name: Brian L. Porter

ISBN #: 9781554045273

Publisher Name: Double Dragon Publishing

Date Released: January 2008

Genre: Horror; Historical Fiction; Thriller

Book Format: print

Rating (See Rating Guide at bottom of form): 4-1/2 Klovers

Web Link (If an eBook, link directly to the book’s page on the Publisher’s site. No link necessary if print book):

Story Summary Robert Cavendish is bereft with grief at his father’s recent passing. He was also surprised to learn his father bequeathed Robert a mysterious journal to be read after his death. Read by him and him alone. As he reads the journal, he comes to realize that he holds in his hands the actual rantings and admissions of Jack the Ripper! But that, as they say, is only the beginning. From those pages Robert discovers the answer to old mysteries and atrocities, answers that lead him down a path of horror and insanity. What affect can the secret ravings of a murderer such as Jack the Ripper have on a person? And what connection did Robert’s father have to this secret journal?

Opinion

I was immediately struck by the enormous amount of research that went into A Study in Red (The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper). It brought 18th century London to life, making the story almost palpable. For over a hundred years, the mystery of Jack the Ripper has been investigated, written about, and discussed, but never like this. I could feel the cobblestones under my feet, hear the horses and carriages and smell the foul air of the London back alleyways.

The journal was an interesting tool, bringing the reader directly into Jack’s world and the insanity inflicting him. Experiencing the journal with Robert was intense as the mysteries unfold page by page. The suspense kept me engrossed well into the late evening hours, just as Robert had… I can feel the goose bumps now.

The identity of Jack the Ripper has been explored, but never in such a deliciously nail biting manner. Although fiction, the possibilities of who Jack really was and where he came from as well as his unfortunate victims felt all too real thanks to the obvious hard work of the author to create this sensational tale.

Reviewed By: Terri

Please feel free to see more about me and my work at http://www.freewebs.com/brianlp

Best regards to everyone

Brian :)