Sign in to follow this  
atom-girl

Humble Pie

Haven't read it yet (it's on my TBR pile), but I do have a strange fascination with Gordon Ramsay as he and my partner look so very similar! Will probably take it on holiday with me so will post my thoughts then.

Hi Lipstick Librarian..I appreciate this relates to an old post..August 2007. But if your keen on Ramsay..on one of the Sky Channels (I think one of the Food ones or even the biography channel), they show the series (beyond) the boiling point, a 6 or 7 part documentary about Gordon Ramsey's life before he became an uber (celebrity chef). Alternatively, there's a few references to him in Marco Pierre Whites biography "The Devil in The Kitchen", detailing their time together at Harvey's (and their subsequent falling out, which was a little farcical and silly to say the least).

I agree with the Bard. So he can cook...so what....? On the bigger scale of things, his opinions mean zilch. His rudeness is unbelievable, and I'm afraid if he spoke to me like he does, he would get a similar response...and more. I didn't mind his behaviour quite so much with Edwina Currie though....her desire for publicity and hard nature could put up with it. A marriage made in Heaven?

Haven't read it yet (it's on my TBR pile), but I do have a strange fascination with Gordon Ramsay as he and my partner look so very similar! Will probably take it on holiday with me so will post my thoughts then.

Well, I did finally get around to reading it, and really wish I hadn't bothered. The writing style is awful - it reads as though he just rambled it into a dictaphone at high speed, which is probably exactly what he did. Someone then just transcribed it word-for-word. Unlike a lot of you, I like him on TV. But... I like him a little less after reading this. I'll stick to proper books in future!

I like Ramsay on the TV, I think his passion for food lets him get away with other less desirable aspects of behaviour (notice how he never swears when his kids are around!). That said, I abhore the Ramsay 'brand' which allows him to churn out second rate biogs and publish books by his wife. Nearly as bad as Brand Beckham!

Well, I did finally get around to reading it, and really wish I hadn't bothered. The writing style is awful - it reads as though he just rambled it into a dictaphone at high speed, which is probably exactly what he did. Someone then just transcribed it word-for-word. Unlike a lot of you, I like him on TV. But... I like him a little less after reading this. I'll stick to proper books in future!

Picked this book up as a the half price one of the 'buy-one-get-one-half-price' in Smiths and actually enjoyed it. I thought the chapters dealing with his childhood went a long way to explaining how he is as a man. What I found more interesting was that the style of writing in the early chapters about his childhood were phrased far more simply and with far, FAR less swearing than the rest of the book. I don't think it was a conscious choice either.

I have worked in a kitchen and wonder if that might have contributed to my enjoyment. As I was reading the words I felt like I was back in the middle of things with the chef barking orders and me frantically trying to speed stack a dishwasher.