David

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - SPOILERS

BTW is there any difference in the adult version or just the book cover so adults are not embarrased reading it on the train?

The text of both versions is the same. I'll avoid speculating about any potential 'adult content'...

Is it just me, or does it all seem a long time ago already?

BTW is there any difference in the adult version or just the book cover so adults are not embarrased reading it on the train?

As Jen says, the same, but I choose the adult covers because I prefer the look of them. I think the kids' versions' artwork has grown steadily worse, becoming lamentable with the latest.

Is it just me, or does it all seem a long time ago already?

More than a week, that's for sure.

I came back on here exactly to find a thread like this! I absolutely loved the book, every bit as much as PoA (which up til now had been my favourite). I actually finished it last saturday after 7 hours of straight-through reading, despite not getting it at midnight. I had hoped to go to Waterstones after a night out but at 1am there were still hundreds of people queuing outside so I abandoned that :P

I'm one of the people who really liked the epilogue, it gave me some closure on what happened afterwards, although I'm one of those odd ones that would like to know everything about every character and would soak up a HP encyclopedia with delight!

Most importantly though, I'm glad we found out Snape was good all along, I was sure of it and argued his case endlessly to anyone who would listen, mostly my sister who was convinced he was evil after HBP. Made me happy that Dumbledore had known something special and while he may have slipped up more than a few times ultimately he knew what he was doing.

And incidently, I'm with whoever it was that said the Kings Cross scene was all in Harry's imagination rather than a weird version of Dumbledore's ghost.

Finally I can go and read /obsess over something else. Hard to find something to replace a series that I've loved for nearly 10 years though... :confused:

I came back on here exactly to find a thread like this!

And we're glad you did, Opal! Great to see you back on the BGO beat! I hope you stick around.

:)

And we're glad you did, Opal! Great to see you back on the BGO beat! I hope you stick around.

:)

Hehe... gonna try, but am mostly restricted to internet cafes for BGO at the moment... a sad thing for a geek like me but does mean I get to read more :P.

Finally I can go and read /obsess over something else. Hard to find something to replace a series that I've loved for nearly 10 years though... :confused:

There's always The Dark Tower.... ;)

Interesting comments made by all of you. I'm not really one for long reviews but I'll give it my thoughts and shall re-post with any more after thoughts.

Firstly I didn't like the 'nineteen years later' chapter, if anything it left me with even more questions then I already had after reading the final chapter. It wasn't well written or thought through throughly enough for me. There really wasn't any need for that chapter to be there in my opinion.

I loved Snape's chapter, which is saying something coming from me because I've always loathed Snape and never thought he'd come good after he killed Dumbledore. His death was so touching and it was a great twist in the tale that he knew Lily from all those years ago and had always loved her.

Someone made a comment about finding themselves hating Dumbledore in parts whilst reading and I too felt exactly the same. I also loved his chapter with Harry when everything got explained.

Ron and Hermonie's relationship has really grown the most from all the books that have been written. I always knew JK would put them together at the end and I'm glad she did. Ron's a fantastic character, hes always been given the best comical lines to say, along with Fred and George of course, and his character too has grown up so much from the beginning.

The deaths were awful. Poor Dobby, I have to admit that I cried when he died and when Harry buried him. Couldn't believe George died - I agree with the comments that there wasn't any thoughts from the Weasley's about his unwelcome death. Lupin and Tonks, again another horrible death, I've always liked Lupins character.

Overall I throughly enjoyed the book, it was everything I hoped it would be and more. There were bits that made me laugh and bits that made me cry and I'm really going to miss Harry's adventures.

Skyler x

I absolutely loved it. I think it's my favourite of all and I'm not prone to just liking the last one I've read.

When I first started reading it I was quite surprised and a bit thrilled at how dark this tale had become. It certainly didn't take long for people to start dying and the reality of this 'battle' to really sink in. I loved it. I esp. like the fact that Ron ends up leaving the other two in the middle. I thought that was very realistic that is such fraught and dangerous cirucmstances, with no obvious path before you, one might just lose your nerve and bolt like that. Sure- the locket was probably doing a bit of work to help that along as well, but I thought it was a good twist.

I never thought that SNape was going to end up a baddy - simply because he would have had to have been a baddie pretty much from the beginning and if he was - he would have had way too many chances to kill Harry and just get it done with. I don't see him as heroic - though strangely he was brave - his story to me is just incredibly sad. Yes, he 'loved' Lily for all those years but it was a juvenille sort of love- mianly covetous and untransformative. To me his character is to pitied. His last moments, when he begs to look into Harry eyes - eyes that were exactly like Lily's - was very very sad.

The ending chapters starting when the three of them go to Hogwarts are incredible. I can't help but think of what a visual extravaganza that shall be when it comes to the movie. And when Harry realises that he has to be killed, well - I was just a weeping mess. It didn't surprise me because I sort of guessed at such a connection between he and Voldemort (hehe - I just had a split second there when I wondered whether I should type the name out!) but what a heart-breaking scene that was!! And I loved the part that Neville Longbottom had to play in the end (though how he got the sword I don't know).

Overall, I just love that main idea behind most of these books that there is 'magic' that these people can do and then there is the power that certain acts can have. And that you can have all the magical power in the world, but if you don't understand the significance that an act of selflessness, humbleness and love can have, then you have no real power to begin with. Truth always seems to be most real in it's paradoxical nature and time and time again this is evident in the book.

I am not too sure about what I think of the epilogue. I guess as I feel that it didn't really give me any information that I would have been fairly sure of anyway, that it's unnecessary. I don't find out what Harry is doing - what any of the three are doing in fact. And I was slightly annoyed that it obviously had nothing to do with Hogwarts (which Harry always said was his realy home) as they weren't going there with their kids. So I think I would have preferred that it had ended in the time it was all taking place.

One little thing though - can someone tell me why Harry couldn't have just asked the Dumbledore picture in the office all the questions that he had?

After some more thought, I thought I'd post a little more.

I thought Neville was fantastic in this one. Such a transformation from the earlier books. I knew he would have a role to play in the end, but my sister thought it would have something to do with Bellatrix. The fact that Mrs Weasley killed her was unexpected, but I think it showed another side to her character.

Volvican - I can't agree with your definition of Snape's love for Lily as juvenile. I think his agreeing to help protect Harry is a testament to his enduring love for her. Also, Harry's correction of Voldemort's statement that Snape merely 'desired' her shows that he understood that it was real love. I think, had circumstances been different, Harry might have been Snape's son. The fact that things happened as they did is Snape's tragedy and makes his enduring love all the more poignant and real.

I thought the 'special effects' were fantastic, the Gringotts chapter and the Room of Hidden Things chapter with the Fiendfyre. The final film will be a real feast for the eyes, I think.

I enjoyed it, although it did follow the same pattern as the other books seemed to with Harry not having much of a clue what was going on for much of the time and then everything being explained to him at the end. It would have been nice if we had been shown Harry's reaction to Snape's life and death.

I was pleased that the storyline stuck with the three main characters, as I find books where every chapter is dedicated to a different set of people annoying.

The end was overly sentimental and there was a distinct lack of information about how things had been sorted out after the carnage.

And there was a Slytherin at the final battle. Professor Slughorn may have appeared to leave with the students, but he came back to fight with the other teachers against Voldemort.

And there was a Slytherin at the final battle. Professor Slughorn may have appeared to leave with the students, but he came back to fight with the other teachers against Voldemort.

And, of course, the portrait of Phineas Nigellus helped out in the general schemes.

Overall I enjoyed it - I knew Snape was a good guy (yeah!) and that Harry was a Horcrux thingee. Didn't think much of the whole Deathly Hallows - the three items didn't seem to gel logically, but not a big detractor.

But I have a question - can someone explain why Harry told Voldermort in the final confrontation that the Elder Wand belonged to Draco, and not Snape (who'd killed Dumbledore in the previous book?). I just didn't get it.

A few other comments:

I hated the last chapter. How incestuous with all those character's kids marrying each other! Someone would've migrated to the US for sure! I would have liked a chapter that explained what happened to the Malfoy's (jail surely!), the Weasley's, the Ministry and how the school got put back together. (More Malfoy's I say - always loved Lucius' character).

DID NOT like Mrs Weasley calling Bellatrix a BITCH. Only because this is so typical (remember Aliens when Ripley says the same sort of thing to the mother monster). Male characters never shout out you BASTARD before they kill, so, I found this sexist and irritating...

I agree with who ever said that the final confrontation with Voldermort fell a bit flat...why it had to go back inside I don't know. It sort of interrupted the flow.

If it was known that Dumbledore had Grindelwald's Elder Wand, then why would Voldermort bother to go and visit Grindelwald in his prison to get it? He must have known Dumbledore won it and therefore Snape had it because he killed Dumbledore at the beginnning of the book?

I loved the full circle of Snape's actions in this and the last book, ie, the binding spell Draco's mother order on Snape to ensure he saved Draco's life in the previous book, but it turns out it was no big deal because Dumbledore had ordered Snape kill him anyway because he was dying. Now that is inspired.

I like Rowling's writing style...don't know why people complain so much.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that Harry was suppose to die in the original plot since Rowling says she outlined the plot before writing the first book. It just seems strange that Hermione and Ron so conveniently disappear for a huge chunk of time and Harry is solving everything. If they'd have been with him and found everything out at the same time, he could've died and that would have been an extemely neat ending (since Voldermort couldn't even kill Harry twice when Harry put up no resistance). No proof of course, just speculating!

Fulcrum, the reason the Elder Wand went to Draco was because it was he who disarmed Dumbledore on top of the Astronomy Tower, and not Snape. The Elder Wand then passed to Draco, who never knew that he was its new master. Then when Harry disarms Draco at Malfoy Manor, the wand recognises him as its master, so Voldemort taking it from Dumbledore's grave doesn't make the wand his.

And it wasn't generally known that Dumbledore took the Elder Wand from Grindelwald. Voldemort didn't know Dumbledore had it until he went to see Grindelwald and he didn't have the insight into wandlore that Dumbledore, and later Harry, had. Most people thought the Deathly Hallows were a myth.

I always thought the final battle would take place inside Hogwarts, since it's so symbolic for both Harry and Voldemort. I think the reason it could be perceived as being a bit flat is because we expected a battle, but what we got was a speech. It was unexpected, but powerful in its own way.

Just read 1-7 in order to fully appreciate (and remember) the details! I was devastated when Voldemort killed Snape but was soon satisfied to discover his true feelings. Like many others I felt Snape was the star of the series although I recognise this may, in some small measure, be down to the superb characterisation by Alan Rickman, in the films.

Favourite character - Snape

Favourite book - Azkaban

Favourite invention - Marauders Map

The inventiveness was really why I loved the books - just imagining the stairs that moved position, the pensieve, the wonderful talking portraits, the invisibility cloak and the Marauders Map... these are the details that I will always remember. Well done JK

I loved the whole series. I don't think I've ever come across plotting like it. JK must have editted furiously and kept copious notes to keep herself on track.

"However", it rambled a bit. I have only read it once. I may read it again at some point. It's strange that. I've read all the other books over and over yet haven't re-read this one yet. I was also disappointed in the last chapter. All very "pink meringue" - it's what I see whenever I think about that chapter. What I did like was giving little Albus the second name Severus - tears again!

The Snape sub-plot denouement had me in floods, because Harry couldn't make his peace with Snape. In all my speculation about Snape, I NEVER expected that! I wondered all sorts of things about the doe patronus - was it something to do with Harry's mother? Well, it was but not in any way I's considered. It wasn't Hermione because hers was an otter. I did wonder if it was Ginny's. The end result was the best one, though.

I wonder how JK chose who was to die. That they are Dobby , Colin , Hedwig, Tonks and Lupin and Fred :cry::cry: all demonstrate the reality that death is not like in books. It nearly never happens for a reason, except in books. You have the death of the faithful servant (Dobby) which is a literary thing (I can't think of the proper word!); then you have Tonk and Lupin who have just had a baby! And Fred! Of all people, why Fred? And also the sudden shock death of Hedwig. I kept expecting her to come flying back having simply been stunned. JK shows us the sudden, unresolved death of a pet which is a very "in the real world" thing. And of all the Weasleys and the people close to them, JK chose Fred. I dont think I'll ever get over it.

Interesting the last we get of the Malfoy family. They are there! They don't leave. It seems despite the dislike of that family that they must be aware of, they need the support of just being with those other people. They, the purebloods needing the support of the presence of even "mudblood" (sorry!) wizards and witches.

These are the thoughts that have stayed with me. I really need to read the whole thing again.

I think it would be fair to say I hadn't seen that one coming...

Me neither, but it seems that it had been the subject of much speculation. Can't say that I'd ever considered what the Professor's sexual preferences might be!

I think it would be fair to say I hadn't seen that one coming...

Me neither, but it doesn't suprise me given what we knew about the characters... then again maybe I spent enough time in the fanfiction communities in the past that now I can't be shocked at anything JK tells us about the characters!

All the coverage about JK outing Dumbledore has been amusing to say the least. I too, never for one moment, considered the sexuality of Dumbledore. But I think JK is right, and she isn't just saying this for publicity or shock-value - it does explain much about him and his relationship with Grindle...To be honest, a little part of me is delighted too that middle-America so outraged by the books alone, have more to get their knickers in a twist about.

It doesn't really matter to the story though, does it? From what I understand it says nothing of homosexuality and tolerance as an issue. If she really wanted to make a point she should have made it explicit in the books rather than make the remark after publication.