what is everyone doing?

I'm curled up in a small ball with my laptop reading through things that have been happening on here over the last few weeks. Have been having some problems at school with a few classes recently so haven't had time for reading, let alone coming on here!! Also survived my first Ofsted this week, fellow teachers/friends of teachers/ex-teachers will understand how stressful it can be going anywhere near a teacher during that! :cry:

Anyway, am going to start reading something this weekend. Don't know what yet, will go rummaging under my bed to see what I can find. :)

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• momac

• lunababymoonchild

• megustaleer

• Hazel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also survived my first Ofsted this week, fellow teachers/friends of teachers/ex-teachers will understand how stressful it can be going anywhere near a teacher during that! :cry:

Well done for getting through that, Opal. Stress squared, as I well know. Sorry too you've been having some difficult classes. I hope things improve!

(Well, what am I saying? The inspection's over - they already have!)

Well done for getting through that, Opal. Stress squared, as I well know. Sorry too you've been having some difficult classes. I hope things improve!

(Well, what am I saying? The inspection's over - they already have!)

Thanks :) apparently my main problem is I'm too nice. Some of my classes walk all over me, and I'm in a nice school as well! Just got to decide now, do I pick a new book to read or something old and familiar... tough choice! :confused:

Thanks :) apparently my main problem is I'm too nice. Some of my classes walk all over me

Mmmm, the old maxim for the new teacher, "Don't smile before Christmas" springs to mind! :D

Even decent kids will take advantage, it's true, but I'm sure having some sensible objective comments about the situation will help. Get practising with that scowl! ;)

I was in Cracow from Friday until sunday on a stag do. Came back fine. PLayed football on the Monday, ran into a brick wall and knocked myself out. Had a concussion since then.

Three days off work because of it added to four days earlier in January due to an eye and chest infection equals an oral warning for me :(

I was in Cracow from Friday until sunday on a stag do. Came back fine. PLayed football on the Monday, ran into a brick wall and knocked myself out. Had a concussion since then.

Three days off work because of it added to four days earlier in January due to an eye and chest infection equals an oral warning for me :(

Shocking run of luck J-D. Hope you are feeling better now. An oral warning at work for being off? That's awful especially as you weren't well - and all in the week that a Japanese firm reports giving time off to its female employees for 'heartbreak'.

That sounds mightily unfair. You obviously don't work in local government where it seems you can have as much time off as you like for a broken fingernail.

That is harsh, JDE, but employers in these post-unionised days are able to get away with it.

However, if you can produce medical certificates for both of these then I don't understand what they've got to moan about.

I'm going frantic here waiting to find out whether I've got the job that I was recently interviewed for. They said Friday, I assumed 9:01. Seems I was wrong. I've run out of things to clean!
Fingers, eyes, toes, legs - all crossed for you Jen!
That sounds mightily unfair. You obviously don't work in local government where it seems you can have as much time off as you like for a broken fingernail.

I'm a civil servant with the DWP. You are allowed 8 days off sick in a rolling 12 month period. Three strikes and you are fired :(

I've not got a great sick record, I was off in May last year for a month after trying to come off anti depressants (and subsequently failing!). This was unfortunately in my 12 month rolling period hence I'm in trouble.

I still feel woozy and my memory is awful today. I had to look at my phone for my shopping list four times when I just popped out then. There were only six items on it.

You are allowed 8 days off sick in a rolling 12 month period. Three strikes and you are fired :(

That's ridiculous - how can they even justify the 'allowed' to be sick - you either are or you aren't. People don't plan to be sick, (unless like my hubby you plan to be ill on Monday after watching the Superbowl on Sunday into the early hours of the morning), its preposterous.

I hope you get well soon J-D and enjoy LOTR - you aren't at work now are you? ;)

...unless like my hubby you plan to be ill on Monday after watching the Superbowl on Sunday into the early hours of the morning
Mine is a good boy and has booked Monday as holiday.

J-D - surely you can take unpaid leave if the worst comes to the worst? I must confess that I once had a job where a colleague seemed to injure himself playing football every weekend and call in sick on Monday with something that stopped him coming in. I pointed out that my hobby was going out and getting outrageously drunk*, which resulted in a monster hangover, so following the same logic, I should be able to take time off to recover. No-one seemed to agree with me.

*I used this example for illustrative purposes; I have only ever been a restrained, social drinker. Cough.

*I used this example for illustrative purposes; I have only ever been a restrained, social drinker. Cough.

Oooh, that's a nasty cough there, Jen. Ken Livingstone apparently deals with his bronchial problems by drinking whisky through his London Assembly sessions. So there you go - forget the Benylin and knock back a restrained social Glenfiddich!