Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

27 minutes ago, momac said:

How are all BGO’ers doing in these unusual times.  Was thinking that all the people in our immediate area who have been out walking will be in good physical shape when the world hopefully gets back to ‘normal’.  Books have been a great comfort to me , that and watching the birds at the feeder and the sightings of the fox family which has taken up residence in our area.  

Our house cleaning friend is back in business after a lengthy lay-off and the vacuum cannister told the tale of much dust and debris.  Charlie, our dog, was responsible for a lot of the required cleaning, he has now gone to doggy heaven as he was nearly blind, not well at all and couldn’t manage the stairs up to the living room, and was too heavy for Dave and I to manage him.  When we let him out into the back yard he couldn't remember where the door was and we had to get him and lead him in,  and it was an upsetting battle for us trying to lift him up the five stairs, he would go frantic and struggle.  A sad carry-on. We miss him greatly.  He was 15 years old.

Hoping that all are well and finding interesting things to do if not being able to carry on as usual. Take care.

Good to hear from you Momac. My condolences on the loss of your dog. I know how much that hurts and knowing you did the right thing probably doesn't help.

We are fine for the most part. My father gets crabbit when he's bored but that's about all we have to handle. Take care

I've been working from home all the time, finding it a struggle to be honest, had lots of IT issues for the first 8 weeks, then various other IT probs as well, plus the lack of space, no proper chair or desk (I have a computer table but it was only ever meant to be for casual use, not 5 days a week full time!) and a filing system which is basically a carrier bag, and this looks like continuing at least until the autumn.  Some of my colleagues are also starting to get cabin fever a bit.  Plus side is of course no commuting, and I can nip to shops/garden centre/Post Office etc at lunchtime, and also thankfully escape to the garden, weather permitting.

Our woodpecker is back on the feeder, and a large flock of parakeets flew over last night, and our lovely blackbird is still singing regularly. 

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, that's very sad but I think you made the right decision.  Hope you're both keeping well.

Sorry you have had a bit of a rough time Madeleine, although you have a plus side which helps a bit.  Will be nice when the health community leads all of us out of this troubling and frightening time.  It just seems that there is nowhere to go to escape it at the moment, just have to adapt as best we can.  It’s nice to see all the youngsters on our crescent out playing on their bikes and scooters, not a care in the world and the adults walking and chatting - all seems quite normal on the surface.  We in Canada are glad that our border is closed to travellers from the States, it’s a bit of a mess down there at the moment.  

We have had a lot of hot and humid weather but today is a lot cooler.  I was out moving the hose and sprinkler as the lawn service comes to cut the lawn on a Tuesday.  I have been watering as the flowers need it every other day.  They are looking really nice.

Dave’s veggie garden is doing well and the tomatoes are ripening nicely. Should have some green beans soon.

Stay safe and well. 😊

Good to hear from you Luna, I hope you and your father will weather these unusual times well. Good that you have lots of books to keep you going.  Stay well and stay safe.

that's one of the problems with working from home all the time, as Momac says, there's no where to escape it, and although commuting is time consuming (3 hours pretty much each day) at least there's a clear line between work and home.  Mind you my reading rate has tanked!  Small worry I know but it actually feels very intense working from home, I know it's not front line health service but it does feel somewhat relentless, and the novelty of Zoom meetings has worn off as well!  thank goodness for the garden and for the most part reasonably decent weather, although it's a bit erratic, my tomatoes are coming out but they're still very green, we didn't have much sun last week but this week is meant to be better so hopefully that will give  them a boost.  Your veggie garden sounds lovely.

Having read a few of the recent posts here, I have to say that first of all I envy those who have been able to bury themselves in books.  I did read The Mirror and the Light, the last in the Mantel trilogy, but the weight prevented me from reading huge chunks, so it became a long and laborious affair.  I'm glad I have read it though because I enjoyed the whole trilogy and seeing history through Mantel's interpretation of Cromwell's eyes.  Unusual and unique.  Apart from that, I have hardly read anything.  I just don't be able to concentrate for long.  I have, however, become a jigsaw addict.  

Apart from all the de-cluttering in our house over the first 4 to 6 weeks of lockdown, life has settled into another kind of routine.  We are lucky, because we have a dance floor in our little barn and so have the facility to practice our steps.  In fact we have not done that much.  Once we had finished throwing out all our unwanted stuff, we did go back to dancing to find that we had forgotten an awful lot of steps.  Since then we have tried to practice as least once a week, but things are still a little rusty.  Also, it is so sad that we cannot have friends over to share our dancing and until that is possible, the joy of dancing is only half there.  

Yesterday, we decided we had enough of isolating and went out for lunch at our favourite fish and chip restaurant.  Staff were masked and tables set apart and it was really lovely. Even though the numbers of infections in my area are high, we felt we had to do something 'normal' for once.

Good to see you on the forum BB. Sorry that your dancing has fallen victim to the nasty virus but it can’t last forever we hope.  It has been a really unusual number of months to deal with, and many people are feeling weary of it.  However, just have to carry on and hope for better days.  Stay safe

First cherry tomato in the greenhouse started to go a hint colour of orange! I really hope we can get some better weather soon, so we can get some sweet fruits 🍅.

2 hours ago, Marie H said:

First cherry tomato in the greenhouse started to go a hint colour of orange! I really hope we can get some better weather soon, so we can get some sweet fruits 🍅.

I had my first outdoor cherry tomato yesterday! The advantages of living 700 miles to the south!

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 13:06, Marie H said:

Mine are still stubbornly green!  But I watched Gardeners World the other night and Monty Don's tomatoes are also still green, we both need some sun to ripen them up!

Just before lockdown I went to buy a yellow cherry tomato plant, as I like a mixed colour salad, and the only one I could find was a yellow "Tumbling Tom", a variety bred for hanging baskets, which I planted in an 8"" (approx.) pot . It was covered in flowers much earlier than any other tomato plant, and produced one single fruit well before any others set. I picked and ate that single fruit a good four or five weeks ago!

It now has lots of fruit and I have already picked about a dozen. There are at least half a dozen more almost ready for harvesting.

I bought a "Gardeners Delight" at the same time. It's a bit bigger than I expected. I stopped it at about four foot, with 6 trusses and it has one fruit just about ready to pick - but it is confusing me, as it has some fruit which  are  cherry sized (including the ripe one) but others are much bigger. Up to three times bigger. I am wondering if the pot was mis-labelled. There are a few others on there that are showing colour.

One fruit on the Black Russian is also colouring well - but that is a rather stunted one, other fruit are much bigger, which is normal for Black Russian. They are not changing colour yet, but it usually ripens later than the varieties with smaller fruit.

Those three plants are growing in big pots against a south facing wall about 500m from the English channel.

Still not ripe are Tigerella and Green Zebra, which face west. One Green Zebra might be ripening - not sure how I will tell!

All the above are outdoor tomatoes, I do not have a greenhouse. I started off with one of each variety,  but planted up a couple of side-shoots from the others - only I can't remember which ones I put in which pot!

Good to know that tomato growers are having success, we haven’t ever tried the cherry tomato variety but at the moment our green tomatoes aren’t much bigger than cherry tomatoes.  It will be another couple of weeks of hot weather to bring them along. We usually have enough of a crop to keep a neighbour.  We had a good crop of rhubarb this year and still more on the plant.

I hope the virus is slowing down there so that life can get back to the new normal. I think we are at Stage 3 for opening up more locations.  Our daughter’s restaurant is

still only providing window take out.  She said they are run off their feet with customers so maybe haven’t suffered to much financially.

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Mine are still stubbornly green!  But I watched Gardeners World the other night and Monty Don's tomatoes are also still green, we both need some sun to ripen them up!

I think I’m just expecting too early, as the greenhouse doesn’t get any sun in the morning. My neighbour has some of our extra plants, and has better sunlight, so she we has some of her ripe ones over the weekend - and they were really ripe and gorgeous.

3 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I bought a "Gardeners Delight" at the same time. It's a bit bigger than I expected. I stopped it at about four foot, with 6 trusses and it has one fruit just about ready to pick - but it is confusing me, as it has some fruit which  are  cherry sized (including the ripe one) but others are much bigger. Up to three times bigger. I am wondering if the pot was mis-labelled. There are a few others on there that are showing colour.

Our Gardeners Delight tomatoes are usually slightly larger than golf ball size. You have some glamorous sounding tomatoes. I see to remember Black Russian before. Are they heirloom varieties?

We used to love Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, but after growing Gardeners Delight it was as good, and as keeping the seeds are true to type, so it’s free. It’s nearly 10 years since I’ve kept seeds from the fruits, and the germination  rate is very high. Sun Gold were lovely, but the seeds were F1 hybrid, so you had to buy them every year.

Edited by Marie H

On 25/07/2020 at 15:59, Viccie said:

I had my first outdoor cherry tomato yesterday! The advantages of living 700 miles to the south!

Ah yes, tomatoes...and many other things in the sun!

On 27/07/2020 at 13:41, momac said:
On 27/07/2020 at 13:41, momac said:

I hope the virus is slowing down there so that life can get back to the new normal. I think we are at Stage 3 for opening up more locations.  Our daughter’s restaurant is

still only providing window take out.  She said they are run off their feet with customers so maybe haven’t suffered to much financially.

As you may remember Momac, I live in the North West of England and we are suffering a resurgence of infections.  At the moment we have been stopped visiting neighbours either in house or garden.  They still keep the pubs and restaurants open though, but it is very carefully controlled.  We have eaten out recently, and are impressed with all the precautions.  In fact I had my eyes tested today and it was very carefully controlled there too.  Sadly though we cannot travel out of our area to meet family, so we cannot visit our son in Manchester now, who is under the same laws of restriction, or stay with our son in Hampshire.

Who knows how long this will be the case, but somehow we have to soldier on.  Trust you are keeping well.  You seem to be from your posts.  

Finding it very hard to adjust to life after lock down. Wearing a mask I find difficult owing to having asthma and wearing glasses but can survive for 20 min or so in a supermarket. Been working from home since March and starting to miss the camaraderie.Sick of seeing people on video with silly backgrounds. Yes Microsoft teams allows you to put a background behind you - bars and beaches are popular :tapedshut

Will this ever end?

8 hours ago, Clavain said:

Finding it very hard to adjust to life after lock down. Wearing a mask I find difficult owing to having asthma and wearing glasses but can survive for 20 min or so in a supermarket. Been working from home since March and starting to miss the camaraderie.Sick of seeing people on video with silly backgrounds. Yes Microsoft teams allows you to put a background behind you - bars and beaches are popular :tapedshut

Will this ever end?

You don't have to wear a mask if you have asthma. I hate it myself but I wear it anyway.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I only go out from home/garden just once a week, for shopping. Wearing a mask while wearing glasses is difficult (and none of the hints given are helpful). But I would rather use a mask. It really p****s me off when quite a few people who wear masks in supermarkets, but pull the mask below their noses!  😖

9 minutes ago, Marie H said:

It really p****s me off when quite a few people who wear masks in supermarkets, but pull the mask below their noses!  😖

Me too. It renders the mask useless. Yes, they are uncomfortable and no, nobody likes wearing them but it's got to be done.

Same here, back from a week's holiday in Devon which went well, we did quite well with the 50% eating out scheme, and everywhere had good precautions in place with sanitiser etc.  Luckily the weather was generally pretty good so we were outside a lot, even managed a couple of days on the beach - we went to a quieter resort with a pebble beach so although it was quite busy no problem with distancing.  One thing did annoy me though, we were in a café one day and someone at a nearby table put their mask on the table!:banghead:

I agree about glasses and a mask, they steam up and as you say none of the hints are any good. Plus the latest lot of masks I got are much bigger than the others so don't fit very well.  my mum wears a hearing aid and glasses so that's a triple whammy with the mask as well.  and yes she keeps pulling it down below her nose, I've given up telling her off about it. 

We didn't have too much rain when we were away but came back to a very soggy garden, today looks like being quite nice (and dry!) so hopefully can get some proper dead heading done, in between being back to working  from home, which I'm hating.

Edited by Madeleine

Down here, restaurants and pubs were forced to close down again for an initial period of a month starting last Monday. And belief me, their restaurants being closed weighs on the average Belgian.

Looking at the media over the last days, it looks as if it is just the start and I think we may well go back into a lock-down like we had in April-May. Difference off course was that, back then, the weather was nice spring weather and we could enjoy the garden and make long walks, while as now winter is coming. A new lock-down would thus probably feel very different.

Wait and see... seems to be the best advice one can get lately.

Tom

Edited by Tom Fitch

I think a new lockdown would be a disaster, besides most of the precautions taken by other countries such as wearing masks outside as well as in indoor shops, hasn't worked, if anything it's got worse.  We're just going to have to somehow find a way of living with it, otherwise the economy will be such a disaster no one will have much of a life at all, with only a few essentials shops being able to stay open.

In my humble opinion, I think it would already be a giant step forward if a thorough understanding could be gained as to how and where the virus is most likely to spread.

It seems pretty clear that if you stay alone in an apartment or a house and avoid whatever direct contact with others, your chances of getting infected are close to zero. Same goes for being in the outdoors. Chances of getting infected in the open air seem extremely low.

On the other side of the scale, there is a strong suspicion that larger groups of people packed together in (smaller) indoors areas are a potential disaster.

Off course, in between those two lies an entire world... Whereas one may understand that pubs are closed in light of the above, restaurants seem on the other hand much more manageable.

And it feels like that's the case with most of things. Probably just using some basic common sense already helps to avoid a lot.

We did not go into a full lock down yet, but remote working has again become the preferred way of working. Where I frankly fail to see how going into an office twice or thrice a week can be that risky. The safety measures in our office are so strict that I think that the chances of me getting infected through my kids coming home from school every day are higher. The office is desinfected by a professional team on a daily basis, everyone wears masks, we are only allowed into elevators one at a time etc.

I have the impression that everyone is guessing a bit at what to do and that getting infected or not is becoming something of a bad lottery.

End of ranting here and obviously: just my 5 cents.

On a more serious note: whatever the circumstances, it's Friday afternoon, so I wish you all a nice and relaxing weekend.

Tom

The general opinion seems to be that the virus is spread mainly indoors.  It's a shame that with all the precautions  they've taken pubs, restaurants etc are still being hit, and as one student said, she can spend all day with her friends at college, but can't go for a pizza/to the cinema with them. Likewise someone can work in a shop all day with different people coming and going all the time but now can't even see their family or friend(s) indoors, even with the old rule of 6.

And unfortunately, a lot of  the time common sense goes out of the window.